“Great Off-Season Stay”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Wilmington, Delaware
“Great Off-Season Stay”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our family stayed at Watson's Regency Suites during a January weekend. Customer service was excellent while we were there. The suite faced the outside, so there was lots of light. The sofabed was acceptable for a night or two, but not recommended for longer stays. Everything you need is there. The bathroom was beautiful, clean, and it looked like it had been recently remodeled. The only negative aspect occurred when we called to make the reservation. The customer service agent stated that there was a special in effect - all suites were $99/night - but when we asked for a 5th floor suite, the rate increased. Nonetheless, it was a great place to spend a winter weekend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Watson Regency Suites on 1/19/13 to attend a concert in Atlantic City. I was very pleased when I entered the room. The place was clean. We had a room facing the pool. I enjoyed the pool. I did some laundry and some of the machines were inoperable. The manager was very accomodating with giving me back the quarters I lost in the washing machine. Upon returning to the room, I went into the kitchen to prepare a meal before going to the concert and a roach ran across the counter. I freaked and my first thought was there are roaches running around this place. Now I do not have roaches in my home and my feeling was if you see one, there may be more and I knew I could not stay there if this was the case. I called the front desk and the manager came immediately. He had this solemn look on his face. He told me there has never been a single roach ever at the hotel and asked me what did I want him to do. In disbelief I responded get some roach spray and spray the area. He left and came back with a can of roach spray and sprayed the area. I told him that I hope this was an isolated incident. He appeared to be annoyed with me. I was very uncomfortable afterwards and was reluctant to use the cooking facility. While checking out the next day, I mentioned the incident to the girl at the front desk. She had the audacity to tell me that there has never been a roach at the hotel and in fact, there aren't any roaches in the entire Ocean City area. Now mind you she was the one that took the call the night before and did not sound surprised when I reported the incident. Not once did I get an apology from the staff. I like the hotel and may consider staying there in the future. However, I will definitely come armed with a can of Raid.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank 711Satisfied711
suburban Philadelphia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is LONG overdue! We have stayed at Watson's for 5 summers now, usually in late August. (I believe I reviewed it when we first stayed...) We love the location (one block from the beach, barely, with a ramp right there onto the boardwalk next to Shriver's taffy.) The rooms are basically small apartments. The full kitchen is stocked with dishes and utensils and even little extras like diswasher detergent and ice cube trays. There is a large dining area and living room area. The sofa becomes a sofa bed (my one complaint - we have had two rooms where the sofa bed mattress seemed VERY ready to be replaced, although I was told they are gradually replacing these), and they have either a sleeper chair (like a mini sofa) or a cot (also rather uncomfortable, but it worked for the kids). There is a separate bedroom which was great, since we could have the TV or lights on and not disturb the kids after they went to bed. Everything is kept up well, (decor is rather pastel and a bit 80s beach, but it is the beach, after all!) and was always clean. Having the indoor pool is a great perk, since on an overcast day, or after getting chased off the beach by a short storm, you can relax in their pool or hot tub.

BUT, the most overdue part of the review goes to Rita at the front desk. My daughter realized one night this past summer as we were leaving the room for dinner that her (very small and white) stuffed puppy was missing. She was heartbroken; we tore the room apart and could not find it. We asked at the front desk if the sheets had been changed on the sofa bed, and sure enough, they had been that day. Rita - by herself - made calls to the head of cleaning to find out that those sheets were still in the laundry room and then spent her own time digging through PILES of sheets for us. Amazingly, when we came back from our evening out, she was waiting for us with "Spotty"... my daughter was speechless, but we thanked her profusely. It is so rare in this day and age to see those random acts of kindness... I think Rita is a fabulous example of Watson's excellent quality - not to mention a wonderful person!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LWeiss
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Watson's during the Christmas holiday and were very pleased with the large suite and the cleanliness of the entire facility. The staff was very pleasant and welcoming. We look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and kids (aged 11 and 8) for Ocean City's "First Night" celebration on 12/30/2012 through 1/1/2013. The facilities were well managed and everything was very clean for our stay. Each unit is a private owned condominium with a full kitchen, fridge, dishwasher. Only thing missing was washer/dryer but they have a very nice facility for that on the 2nd floor. The rooms are cleaned daily just like a hotel and you needn't bring anything more than you'd bring to a Hyatt hotel. If you want to cook, the kitchen is fully stocked with hardware but unless the previous tenant left behind paper towels, condiments, etc. there is a Super Fresh about 1/4 mile away. Also the the town is totally dry so if you want booze, it's a 4 mile drive to Circle Liquors in Somers Point or Passion Vine in Somers Point will deliver booze to OC. The pool is clean and well maintained. Many of the rooms, including ours, had balconies that opened up to the indoor pool which was nice because we could sit on the balcony and watch our kids a few feet away in the pool. The hotel was sold out during our stay, but there was still plenty of parking. The location was perfect too. About 200 yards from the best part of the OC boardwalk which is 9th street where the music pier is located.

Our only complaint was the noise. Granted it was New Years weekend, but during the mornings and afternoons, there were many kids on the floor above us and they must have been running in the hallways. Frankly the parents above us should not have let their kids have the run of the house.

Overall a very nice place to stay near the beach!!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on 5th (top) floor so you don't have noise above you. In winter, ask to have a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Romeo, Michigan
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here a week before hurricane Sandy. The place was perfect for our needs. My youngest son was getting married so we had most of the family here in two rooms. The rooms were clean and spacious. It was nice to have the option of eating out or cooking in. The kitchen was well stocked for at least four people. The staff was always friendly and ready to help. The location is just far enough off the boardwalk to be convenient. The pool was a nice distraction for the kids.
I would certainly stay here again as long as "Sandy" did not do too much damage. I suspect the Lobby got flooded but the rooms probably stayed dry as they were on the second floor and up. Hopefully this gem weathered the storm!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Condos are large, updated, & clean. Lobby & hallways also updated.
Indoor heated pool and spa; laundry rooms & underground parking.
Walking distance to beach, boardwalk and restaurants. Staff are
friendly and helpful. Housekeeping is everyday. Would highly recommend you stay at these suites while vacationing in Ocean City, NJ

Room Tip: 4th & 5th floors are high enough to give you a good view facing Atlantic City skyline and ferri...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family