“Saw mouse droppings in my room!!”

Watson's Regency Suites
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed January 31, 2008

It was overpriced, but we thought it was worth it. That is, until we were there! We saw a mouse running through the kitchen. I would expect this if I stayed in a rundown motel. But, not paying the rates that we did! It is tough for my family to get away as it is. And, this is what we got!

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank JimmyB2000_8

Reviewed December 29, 2007

We stay here every year during the winter holiday season in order to visit with family. We choose Watson's every time for one reason - they have an indoor pool that my kids love to swim in. However, at the end of every stay, we always tell ourselves "never again." We have stayed in both the one bedroom and the two bedroom (there is one on the third floor). They are dated and you can see the signs of neglect everywhere from the holes in the bathroom to the rips in the bedding. When we arrived, housekeeping had left behind the comment sheet from a previous guest listing all the problems with the room from a month ago (which needless to say had never been addressed). Staff are friendly enough until i discovered someone smoking in the front entrance beside the "no smoking" sign (consequently making the entire entryway reek of cigarette smoke) and then watched as she put her cigarette out and took her place behind the front desk! Later that day, we discovered that we could not turn off the water in the shower. We told the front desk (a different person this time) and were told apologetically that no maintenance is on staff in the evenings and to just let the water run until morning when someone could come and repair the problem. Luckily, after much wrangling, we managed to fix it ourselves.

Positives are a great location and a nice pool for kids. Negatives are the state of the rooms and the overall neglect and disrepair. We pay $140 per night off season and I can't imagine having to spend a penny more. I think this is our last trip to the Watson.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank LondonMassachusetts
Reviewed October 10, 2007

We arrived early and staff quickly checked to see if a room was ready for us. No room was ready but they did tell us the time we should return which was still a good bit ahead of the scheduled check in time, got us checked in etc. It was great we really added a whole day to our vacation.

The pullout bed was horrible: I should have said something upon checkout but wasn't asked how I enjoyed my stay come to think abou it.

The daily maid service was okay.

Having the room with a toddler and the kitchen, two tvs, VCR and DVD was a +. Just remember to open windows and run a fan if you cook in one those little kitchens. I didn't think to bring napkins or papertowels. But they had detergent for us and dishrags. I found the kitchen to be well stocked

We enjoyed the location, shaded parking and very nice indoor pool.

More than I like to spend on a place to stay but I like the added benefit of the pool!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank nermag
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We were recommend to this hotel. After checking in we found out that all the units are owned by individuals; and rented out.
I paid extra for top floor, we were in room 506.
The pull out sofa and chair beds were beyond terrible. The mattress should have been tossed out years ago. My 2 kids both weigh under 100 pounds had problems with lumps and the sinking into the frame.
The master queen was not a lot better, I went to flip the mattress only to find a board under the bed.

The room was in need of an upgrade, the kitchen has mismatched silverware, and not much of it. For 325 a night it was not worth it.
We have rented owner units before and while I did not expect the Ritz-Carlton it was was below average.

The hotel is 2 blocks fro the beach/boardwalk and walkable to everything.

Front desk was nice but not overly helpful. We did complain and got about 25 off per night, but the room was still way over priced for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank dvcguy
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Even though we are regular visitors to Ocean City, New Jersey, this was our first stay at Watsons. It was a very nice property and we enjoyed our two weekend nights here. The hotel is a large, all suite, condominium property. Some units are owner occupied and most are rented out on a daily or weekly basis. Our unit was large and sunny, and decorated in beach motif and light colors. The unit had a large living room, kitchen, master bedroom, and private patio. The bathroom was spacious. Everything was very clean and there were more than enough towels, washcloths, and essentials. Housekeeping was quick and efficient. Service at the desk was friendly. The rooms transmit noise from above and from the rooms next door more than is desired and can be bothersome if neighbors are inconsiderate. One "under-building" parking spot is provided with the room. Beach tags are available. A large indoor pool and hot tub are great if you don't like the beach. The hotel is just one block from the ocean. It is a short walk to the Music Pier and most boardwalk attractions. The main shopping district is also a short walk in the other direction. Several restaurants are nearby. Overall, a very comfortable stay in a convenient location at the beach.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FF13
Reviewed March 27, 2007

We were trying to get rid of the mid winter, cabin fever blues so we booked a room for a weekend at Watson's Regency on Presidents Weekend.

We've been staying in Ocean City for years, but always have trouble finding some place opened in the winter. We never tried Watson's before and when we booked it I didn't even know they had an indoor pool. I just thought we'd go with out 4 year old and walk on the boards and maybe play in the sand. Well, we picked the absolute coldest day of the year! I think the temps were in the single digits during the day. Real arctic weather. It was a good thing that, when I called, the young lady at the front desk told me about the pool. We packed some swim suits "just in case". Thank God! The pool was warm and inviting for our little girl and the jacuzzi was unbelievable (and HOT!)! I can't even tell you what it's like to sit by the pool in the warmth and steamy goodness... and watch it SNOW outside through the glass that surrounds the pool area.

Well, the room was great, with a view of the ocean from the balcony. Everyone, the girls at the front desk, the people who cleaned the rooms, the other staff we saw, were all very very nice. It's even a great experience to call and book the room. They'll even explain when you get the good room rates! Even at full price, you wont find a better place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Knight-n-Princess
Reviewed July 9, 2006

This was our sixth summer going to Ocean City but the first time we actually stayed in a hotel---two adults, three young children. Things we liked about Watson's: room was very clean; kitchen was well stocked with cooking utensils/pots/pans/plates/cups/coffee maker/dishwasher/refrigerator/full stove/microwave; large leather sectional couch offered plenty of seating; dining table for meals; two television with DVD and VHS players; plenty of room to spread out. Pool was GREAT---indoors, temperature was perfect (not hot but good swimming temp), very clean. Jacuzzi was steaming hot and also clean. Maid service was prompt and helpful---when my husband went to the front desk to request another blanket, the maid was at our door within seconds of him returning to our room. The location is also terrific---it is only a short walk up 9th street to the boardwalk and all of its excitement. Walking the other way up 9th led to Asbury Ave. which had street entertainment and lots of great shops. We also appreciated having our own parking lot adjacent to the hotel (on-street parking was in short supply around the 4th of July) and the free beach tags were a nice thing to receive.

What was less than ideal: for $300/night (holiday week rates), I expected higher quality towels, sheets and bedding. Towels were a bit scratchy (although there were plenty to grab for the pool) . The bed was comfortable but the sleeper sofa was miserable---we could feel the metal coils in the mattress as we lay on it. My husband ended up taking the mattress off of the rollaway bed in the closet and laying it on top of the sleeper sofa mattress to make it tolerable. Watsons should provide some sort of mattress topper to make this more bearable. One of my daughters decided to sleep right on the couch rather than deal with the sofa bed. We were also on the second floor and, while we had a 'balcony', it opened to the indoor pool. This was fine for us since we used the pool a lot, but some people may prefer to be away from the noise of the pool (which is open until 10pm) and the smell of chlorine. Although there was a little table and chairs on our 'balcony', it was never used since we would have been looking at a hallway leading to the pool.

Overall, it was a good stay with some room for improvement.

• Stayed: July 2006
#1 of 5 in Avalon
Pier 4 Hotel
Pier 4 Hotel
#2 of 7 in Somers Point

Been to Watson's Regency Suites? Share your experiences!