“The Best of Northern NJ”
Review of Portobello

Portobello
Ranked #18 of 37 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wayne, New Jersey
“The Best of Northern NJ”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Portobello's is the ultimate in dining.Great food expertly cooked and served in a truly authentic Italian setting...none better

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank 651Seniors

New Haven
“Excellent apps and deserts...”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The restaurant is beautiful and they have music at times. The appetizers and deserts are great but stick to pasta or sushi for your main course. I had the sea bass and I wasn't impressed...lacked flavor and the broccoli rabe was one big piece. Order the "oh my god" sushi role...it's not on the menu but they will make it for you and it's delicious. I would go again and try another entree.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank sunnydays007
new jersey
“Not as expected”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Family dinner for 11 last night. We like Italian and had always wanted to try this place. On arrival I was psyched because it looked so busy I assumed it must be good. The place is beautiful. Very well decorated. Other than that I can not say much positive.

To seat our group they had to put some rounds together with some squares which made for an unusual seating arrangement. The place is also very, very noisy which I attribute to the acoustics. Like I said it is beautiful but they should get some stuff in there to absorb sound.

The service was very slow. 20 Minutes or so and we had not even given a drink order so we finally had to actually get up and grab a waitress. She ended up being our waitress for the night and was only marginal. She was clearly not a very experienced waitress which I would have expected for a higher class place, but she was just not friendly or engaging. She had way too many large tables. 3 Hours+ for dinner for 11 and that was not due to us chatting, it was all service.

Many parts of our orders were wrong. I know some of this was the kitchen staff as she definately had one entree written down right that was brought out incorrect. One appetizer never received. Asked for blue cheeses dressing on salad, got Italian. That kind of stuff happened all night.

The food was ok, Portions were large so in that regard good value for the price. I really liked their meatballs, but they drown their entrees in so much marinara sauce that you can't really tell what it is supposed to taste like. The cheesecake was very good.

Something I have never seen is that when the waitress returned with the final copy to sign after paying she did not bring the credit card back to the table. A manager had to be asked to go find it in the kitchen!

Not the worst I have ever seen but certainly did not live up to expectations.

• Visited February 2014
Sparta, NJ
“Mixed reviews”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Overall a very nice place and we enjoyed our food, however,one guest had to send their dinner back because the lobster tail did not smell fresh. They replaced it with a freshly-prepared entrée. Also, another family member was kept waiting for their dinner well after everyone else received theirs, and was told it would be out soon. He came to find out later that the first one had "burned". They gladly replaced a dessert not to the liking of a guest. Other than that, the service was excellent. Server was gracious, polite and professional. Good-sized portions.

• Visited January 2014
Wayne, New Jersey
“Nice, but to busy.”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've lived in the area for years, and after a 20 minute wait, past our reservervtion time, & also specifiying where we would like to be seated, upstairs....all else failed & we ended up in the bar area....still better than the Italian Kitchen area. 20 minutes later.. we were seated again in the bar.
The Waitress was "Francine" was barely functional. Appitizers came out 2 minutes at a time. The food was great!!!! That is the only thing this place has.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank LMJF

Been to Portobello? Share your experiences!