“Can't beat the lunch deal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Portobello

Portobello
Ranked #20 of 37 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Can't beat the lunch deal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Full size dinner portions are served for lunch Mon-Sat only cost between $8-$11 per entree. Food and decor are outstanding. I have been to this restaurant several times with many clients and friends and no one has left disappointed. The Osso Bucco is incredible and another of my favorites is the lobster risotto. Worth checking out!

• Visited December 2011

“My Favorite Restaurant Anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

I eat all over the U.S. This is the best!!!! Everything is great and Emily behind the bar is awesome!!

“Had an enjoyable dinner with a large group of colleagues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Had an enjoyable dinner here with a large group (30+?) of colleagues with family-style dining in a semi-private upstairs area. The starters were the best part of the meal, and the food just kept coming! It was a little too much food, but most everything tasted good. The serivce was pretty good for such a large group - our wine glasses were never empty. Dessert wasn't as tasty as the rest of the meal, but perhaps the regular menu offerings are better.

• Visited October 2011
massachusetts
“Hidden GEM ---referred to go by gas station attendant while we were getting Gas... "”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

We were on our way to PA and needed gas so we got off the exit and proceeded to look for a gas station ---while he was pumping our gas I asked the gas station attendant Taj .. "where a decent place to eat was " and he said.. Portobello.. just down the street about a mile.. so we went there.. AND..the manager greeted us and seated us.... then.... . they brought over the basket of bread... I looked at my wife and said.. "this place is going to be good"... the basket of bread was not an ordinary basket of 5 cent rolls.. it had olive bread.( with a nice layer of olives on the top) . and regular small italian fresh baked rolls.. they were delicous... so we order the pasta faglio.. it was not a cup.. it was a nice bowl.. piping HOT .. and deliciouso.. it was the best soup we have had in a while... then... my wife order a chicken dish.--I think it was Chicken Florentine . and she said it was deliciouso... (oh by now I had asked for some more bread).. and I had calamari/linguini .. and it was not the portion control calamari that is cut by a machine.. and small rings.. it was nice pieces of calamari and the tentacles.. too.. it was loaded with calamari..and the linguini was adente.. . this is my favorite dish... the BEST BEST I have had...
BUT.. I am glad I did not read the reviews.. as it seems that some people did not enjoy the place... of course it was kinda slow... it was a Thursday night .. around 6:00 PM...'
We are going to put this place on a "place to return"..
Well.. I had to give this place a review... cause it was the best.. from the bread, the soup, the salad.. and the entree...Magnificio!!!!!!! Bella Bella..

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank phathomgourmeter
New York
“Great Sunday Brunch w/ To-Die-For Mimosas, Bellinis but dirty plates & recycled desserts?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Let's start with what put the Sunday Brunch on top of our list: Unlimited, Yummy Bellinis and Mimosas!!! Simply put, they are delicious; possibly the best Bellinis and Mimosas that we've ever had. The buffet selection were okay. There was chilled shrimp & oyster, homemade mozarella, bruscheta, cold cuts & cheeses, peppered smoked salmon (awesome), antipasti, and several choices of hot dishes ranging from chicken, beef to grilled salmon, 2 different kids of meat carving station, sushi.
There are several things that I would find a bit offensive: dirty plates, and horrible dessert table. I guess the diswasher was broken or not working properly. We found plates to be on questionable states (imagine having green stuff stucked at the bottom of the plates and glued to another one, then extremely wet plates at the buffet tables... I can imagine several to be okay, but almost every single plate? Hmm.....). Then we saw leftover occasion cake such as birthday cake to be put out on the dessert table, along with other individual cakes that were probably leftover from other occasions hosted at the restaurant at previous times. It was a turn off. Give the leftover food away to your staff, please. Do not save them for the next day and serve to your paying patrons!!!! Else, don't put out a dessert table. SERIOUSLY....
With all that said, I would go back for the unlimited bellinis and mimosas alone. They're delicious and in unlimited dosage.
I would hold my next party here if it weren't for the dirty dishes.... I can't imagine having spending that much of money only to have my guests horrified by dirty dishes and leftover dessert. Hmmm......

• Visited August 2011