“Great for lunch skip dinner” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portofino Family Restaurant

Portofino Family Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Oak Ridge
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kinnelon, New Jersey
“Great for lunch skip dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

What use to be a great place to go for dinner is now over crowded, poor service and just okay food. Lunch is a different story as the staff is very attentive and the food seems be a better quality. Possibly they have overextended themselves during dinner. So if you want a very reasonable lunch, large portions and tasty try Portofini for lunch. If dinner is your choice, I suggest somewhere else

Visited October 2012

Bloomingdale, New Jersey
“A great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have been to Portofinos many times and have never been disappointed. I took my family (10 people) there for dinner on Christmas Eve. I decided on Portofinos because they were not doing specific seatings as many of the restaurants were. Most restaruants were doing seatings every 2 hours, which usually means you'll be rushed. Portofinos was taking reservations every hour on the hour. They did have a set menu which was about half the entrees they normally have but when I made the reservation with Nancy, who by the way in my opinion is one of the best waitresses you'll ever find, she said if i wanted anything that wasn't on the menu Mende would probably have no problem with it. As usual, the food was excellent, the service was 5 star and I was able to get the entree I wanted that wasn't on the menu. Overall, a five star restaurant, a great buy, portions are large, great food, great service, and a bring your own, what more can you ask for.

• Visited December 2012
Morris County, New Jersey
“Diner food in a diner setting with diner-like servers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Let me begin by saying our neighbors RAVE about this place. I don't know why. This place seems to be EXTREMELY popular. People all over the area talk about it. Again, I don't understand the fascination.

And secondly, as a bit of foreshadowing, I have sent food back on only one other occasion. I'm afraid to do it because I'm afraid the cook will spit on it and send it back out to me.

My husband and I had dinner here with two other couples in early December on a Saturday night. If you don't make a reservation, forget about trying to get a table on a Saturday night. Our reservation was for 6:30 and we ended up with a table in the back of the big room right next to the door to the kitchen. We thought this would be ok, but it was a very noisy place to sit. Actually the whole restaurant is so noisy, you can't hear yourself think. Even though the back room was almost empty when we sat down, it filled up quickly and the sounds of voices became even more deafeningly loud.

While everyone else was happy with their choices, I was not. I ordered the stuffed artichoke which was disgustingly smothered in parmesan cheese so I'm not sure what the stuffing was supposed to achieve. I know how to eat an artichoke and make them myself all the time; however, I've never stuffed one and never will and never will eat one stuffed again. This offering underdone which to me signifies a rushed kitchen. It was basically inedible and a waste of money.

As my dinner entree, I ordered a special - sizzling rib eye with some sort of red wine sauce. I was told it would arrive sizzling on a platter (ala Ruth's Chris hot plate, I guess). Mine did not and was so underdone that I had to send it back. I had asked for medium and it was rare to medium rare. Barely cooked. My friend ordered hers medium well and it was medium to medium rare in spots. She chose not to send hers back simply because hers was edible. Mine was not.

When my steak came back it was sizzling to the point of splattering all over my shirt and it had been sauced again thereby making it doubly salty and sour from the red wine sauce. It was also so overdone at this point that it was again inedible and tough like shoe leather. I can get a better cooked steak at the Alexis Diner in Denville on Route 10. I can get better Italian food there too.

On a side note, the vegetable side was soft and cold and the desserts unappealing. The staff were overworked, rushed and lacking personality. The gentleman that served the food came out with my friend's steak entree, described it, but nobody responded until he said the name of the dish. As he handed her the dish OVER my husband's head he mumbled loudly, well, I did describe the dish!

On the bright side, my entree was removed from the bill because when the owner came over to ask how our dinners were, I was frank with him. He asked if I wanted another meal and I said just take my meal off the bill.

enough said, you get the picture. Hard to find a great restaurant around here but easy to find a great diner. That's NJ!!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank njaloha23
Oak Ridge, New Jersey, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our Oak Ridge favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Consistently wonderful food, excellent service.
Our favorite Friday night outing! Specials are always as described, and menu standards are delicious.

Visited November 2012
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“Good sauces, overdone seafood, indifferent service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Went here to celebrate my wife's and mine 55th B-day. We ordered the special Appetizers. Mine was Crab Cakes (ended up being 1) and shrimp with cream sauce. Wife got fresh Mozz w/prosciutto and tomato. It was huge, enough for two. Mine was miniscule. Two large shrimp, one 4" thin crab cake, but the sauce was outstanding. We ordered the dinner specials. Mine Mahi-Mahi with shrimp in lemon picatta sauce, she fettuccine with prosciutto. I don't know what was special about her's; there was little prosciutto and little else. The past was done perfectly and the sauce was again excellent. Mine was a different story; it was a small portion of fish (4-6 oz) and two or three shrimp, as well as a red potato cut in half. But the worse was that all the seafood was overdone. Like it had been reheated in the microwave. I would have told the waitress but she was busy with friends at the table behind us. The busboy asked if we wanted dessert but the display tray he brought over looked picked-over. We told him just the check. Our waitress sailed by long enough to drop it on the table. The worst part was the Crab Cake and shrimp was $16 and the seafood special was $25. I think the $8 tip was still too much.

I have been here in the past and the food was good, but the dining room is very noisy when it's busy.

• Visited October 2012