“Ehh”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Visited tonight for my birthday dinner. It was less impressive than expected. We started with the risotto fritters and the asparagus appetizer which were both actually quite tasty, but unfortunately the highlight of the meal. For our second course, we went with the gnocchi special. The dumplings light and fluffy with a bland Gorgonzola sauce. For our entrees my husband had the seafood grill, and I went with the whole Bronzino in "crazy" water. His was ok, mine was tasteless and greasy. We skipped desert. Just ehh.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped in for dinner with another couple and were wowed over the culinary delights that this restaurant has to offer. Two of us split the red snapper which was the best I've ever tasted. The Gnocci was light and flavorful and my husband's veal was tender. Would definitely come back to this BYOB. Oh, and try to save room for dessert, it shouldn't be missed.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our second trip - the first being our 35 anniversary & tonight my 55 birthday. It was terrific both times. Tonight we had calamari which was really good, but I would not say exceptional. – Same with the Caesar Salad – it needed a little more acid – squeeze of lemon? but still good & not over- dressed.
Let me tell you about their pasta!! We ordered Friulian Gnocchi Ravioli Filled with Spinach, Pine Nuts, Raisin & Smoked Ricotta, Brown Butter. I am not a fan on Gnocchi, but apparently I never had it made correctly. – It was wonderful! The first time we went I had butternut squash ravioli with sage brown butter – again wonderful – I actually dreamt about it afterward!!! It was that good.

For an entrée I ordered:
SICILIAN MIXED GRILL
Fresh Market Seafood Coated in Oregano Scented Bread Crumbs
with Lemon-Marjoram Sauce & Roasted Vegetables 29.
The crust on the seafood was really crisp, although I thought the shrimp were small. You got a fillet of fish, 2 scallops & 3 shrimp. All were cooked perfectly. It came with roasted cauliflower
My husband ordered:
PORK OSSO BUCCO
Rosemary Citrus Glaze, Grilled Buckwheat Polenta, Braised Cabbage with Pancetta 29
It was a huge serving & he had problems finishing. Very moist & tender.
I would recommend to anyone – EXCEPT you have to have reservations – it is VERY small & they do not like walk ins – there was only 2 tables occupied & we saw people turned away. They do have take out, but we have not tried that. Service was great even though there was only one server.
Big plus - it's a BYOB, which I REALLY like. I can have a really nice wine & not be charged double or more.

1  Thank Boatsea
Reviewed March 29, 2013

First let me begin by saying that the first person who greeted us was Fred. Fred is very personable, caring, and the definition of "attentive". We have met Luke when dining either in Northfield or AC. He is of course a superb chef and neighbor. Tonite we dined in Northfield which is a storefront that may seat 35, very tight. Just know this going in and you'll be fine. Reservations are usually needed. Once you start experiencing the food, you get lost in all the fresh flavors...crazy good. Tonite we enjoyed, lamb ribs, sausage & grapes,clams & spaghetti,and gnocchi...superb. don't stop what you're doing, your dishes are absolutely delicious. Thank you.

2  Thank USAnumberone
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First and foremost, this is a restaurant worth trying. The quality of the ingredients are clearly fresh, natural and first tier. I see two downsides. The spacing is horrible. There were 9 tables seating about 32 people on the Saturday night evening we dined. Fortunately, the restaurant works in seatings, because the cold air of winter rushes through the place upon each opening of the front door. The people near the door wore their jackets until the 7pm seating rush was all in place, then it warmed up nicely. This also brings a whole new definition to "open kitchen."
Half the restaurant are tables and the other half - all completely open is a brightly lit kitchen.

We started with Cape May salt oysters which at 4 for $12, we felt were overpriced, albeit fresh. They were not as salty as some we have had. Our appetizers were an amazingly dense and flavorable lentil soup (a steal at $8) and a warm sausage and grapes course that was very interesting. The grapes are cooked and add a sweetness to the dish that provides a strong offset to the sausage. The home made pastas should be a must and we split one - tagliatelle in a mushroom reduction sauce accompanied with sliced mushrooms. We couldn't figure out if the pasta was undercooked, al dente, or just thickly cut - most homemade pastas are soft to the bite, this one has some chunk to it. That said, it was delicious. Our entrees were a whole dorade which had thick flakes of fish and was cooked perfectly. It was accompanied in a light broth with potatoes, fennel, and cherry tomatoes. The pork osso bucco was likewise well prepared with the entire shank falling off the bone with the brush of a fork. The vegetables accompanying that was likewise good. We finished with an Affogato which is a vanilla gellato with whipped cream and a shot of expresso poured around it. It was tasty and we cleaned it up, but could have done without it. With taxes our meal was around $130 which we thought was very reasonable based on the quality of the ingredients and cooking. This is not your corner gravy house so don't come here expecting piles of pasta and sauce. The highest cost item we had was the whole fish ($32) which was well worth it. I don't understand some of the comments on serving sizes and prices, both of which we found to be reasonable.

This is a BYOB so you will save on wine costs. If you are drinking champagne or white wine I suggest you bring it chilled as the space is so small the bottle is likely to sit on your table through your meal. Also find out the cancellation policy - for our Saturday night meal they told us to cancel by noon, otherwise there would be a 40-45 charge per person if they were not able to sell the table. The policy becomes understandable once you see the size of the room and experience the quality of the food.