“Simply the best...a home away from home”
Review of Candlelight Inn

Candlelight Inn
DRUMS
“Simply the best...a home away from home”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I have been making the Candlelight Inn an annual vacation destination for over 14 years. During that time we have also made several getaways during the "quiet season." Throughout those years and visits we have seen many improvements to the physical appearance of the inn, but through it all there has been one constant, i.e., the hospitality, the warmth, and the friendliness of Nancy and Bill, the innkeepers. We were once asked at breakfast by another couple why we keep returning to the Candlelight Inn year after year, we told them it was Nancy and Bill who keep us coming back time and again. Our most recent trip was at the end of February 2014 for a belated Valentine's Day gift to each other, and although we didn't stay in our usual Seashore Suite accommodation, the room we stayed in, the Drawing Room, was wonderful. We can state that unequivocallly about the other rooms we have stayed in over the years as well. In December of 2013 my wife had major surgery and as part of her recuperation I surprised her with a 2-day trip over New Year's Eve and Day. It was just what the doctor ordered! She was able to relax and not worry about her surgery or work. And I almost forgot - the breakfasts are great too!

Room Tip: For long stays consider one of the large suites in the Carriage House, otherwise rooms have either a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CHRISTOPHER T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The inn and the inn keepers were lovely! The rooms were comfortable, homey and very well kept! Also, they really went out of their way to make sure our needs we're met! I am vegan and they worked with the local health food store to come up with a delicious breakfast (vegan eggnog french toast). It was amazing and much appreciated! Would definitely recommend this place when visiting wildwood or attending an event at the convention center (which is very close). Great experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Due to a family funeral, I called at the last minute and was welcomed with warmth and compassion, both over the phone and in person. Thanks to "quiet season" rates, my son and I booked separate rooms and found that no luxury had been spared. The rooms were absolutely spotless: Mine ("Yesterday's View") had curved glass windows and felt like a jewel box. After a long drive, the freshly baked cookies (still warm!) offered in the afternoon were a comforting treat for my son--as was the wine for me. Back in the room, I discovered a decanter of sherry and high-quality chocolates--both were nice touches. Have a question? Look around, and you'll find a note or sign that addresses it--and the owners are always available if you need help. Breakfast was especially wonderful: In our case, a baked pear accompanied by freshly made peach muffins, followed by a choice of a baked omelet or blueberry pancakes. Juice and a bottomless cup of coffee sealed the deal. There's plenty to do here in the winter, but I'd return just to stay at the inn--and to chat with the innkeepers, who make you feel like family. By the way, staying here in December is a treat: The inn is all dolled up for Christmas!

Room Tip: "Yesterday's View" is the largest room in the main house.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Howell, New Jersey
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The establishment was outstanding but the real blessing was the "extra miles" Bill went for us. We lost our car the night before we were to check out in an auto accident in town. As things played out our nearest option for a car rental was 30 miles away. We live 100 miles from the Inn so we called our son to come bring us home. We had planned on spending the day touring and driving home that evening. After asking how I made out with the car rental Bill offered to drive the 60 miles round trip to get us to the rental.That salvaged our day and kept our son from having to rescue us. This is something you don't read in a brochure,but that we will never forget.( and he wouldn't even let me chip in for gas!)

Room Tip: Yesterday's View gets my vote, nice bay window toward the ocean
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S0Thankful
Candlelight_Inn_BB, Owner at Candlelight Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your evaluation of the inn. It was nice of you to mention how Nancy and I try to make our guest as comfortable with us. We really do try to develop a relationship with each of our guest. That is one of the special attractions that most Bed and Breakfast attempt to provide. The actions that we took to aid you in your unexpected situation was nothing more than I would hope any person would do for a 'friend.' We even had a guest that had stayed with us multiple times have a severe car problem that required several days to fix. We allowed them to use our personal car for much of the remainder of their stay. (It was during the summer and we don't get to go very many places because we are so busy then.) Regarding the not accepting the tip, just "pay it forward." If we all do that, the world will be a much nicer place.
West Long Branch
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Bill and Nanacy leave no stone unturned when it comes to caring for your needs!
The Candlelight Inn is your "go to place" for serenity & relaxation, just to get away from it all!!
The inn itself is charming and stocked with an array of amenities. Each season has its own charm. Endless activities in the surrounding area makes this B&B the perfect getaway!

Room Tip: If you can book their cottage, go for it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bushkill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This place is great, and Bill and Nancy are the best hosts!! I really felt like I was in a home away from home. From the first moment you walk in, to the last moment when you have to say goodbye, everything is perfect! There is a fridge in the hallway, and it is stocked with water and soda for everyone to use, plus if you stay in a room without a fridge, you can store food and drinks of your own in here. They also have ice packs in here for you to use in your cooler to take to the beach. They also provide towels for the beach, and they have some coolers to use, plus beach chairs and beach umbrellas. They thought of everything!!
Breakfast was delicious, loved the eggs benedict and all the different flavors of muffins! I also liked the conversation, and make sure you ask Bill to show you his tablecloth trick! I also loved the basket of menus, and once we had chosen a restaurant with the help of Nancy's suggestions, Nancy went ahead and made our reservation for us.
Every afternoon, there was wine and treats in the lobby. They were always delicious, and I really enjoyed taking them out onto the spacious porch and enjoying them in a rocking chair, on the hammock or the porch swing and watching the people go by.
The location of the Inn is perfect, we walked down to the boardwalk every night, and we even walked to the beach carrying all our gear, it was pretty quick. It's also driving distance to the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse and all the attractions of Cape May. We ended up staying in 2 different rooms due to a double booking error, and both rooms were nice. The first room had a king bed and was very quaint, it was on the second floor of the inn. Our second room was on the third floor, and it was a suite. We had a sitting room and a bedroom, plus a fridge. The fainting couch was my favorite place to sit and read or rest my eyes. It was a really great room, and I loved how the bed was in a little alcove.
Overall, this is a great place to stay, and Bill and Nancy are the best innkeepers ever! I hope one day I get to come back here!! Thanks guys for a great stay!!

Room Tip: Brides room is nice with a king size bed, but the Victorian Rose suite was a GREAT room. A little bi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Quiet, beautiful , place. Close to all wildwood and cape may have to offer. Owners aim to please. Breakfast was delicious. Parking was no problem. The supplied coffee , sodas, cookies, sherry, were added treats.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 41 in North Wildwood
Aloha Oceanfront Motel
Aloha Oceanfront Motel
#1 of 41 in North Wildwood

Been to Candlelight Inn? Share your experiences!