“Good place to stay for the price”

Bird of Paradise Motel
Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good place to stay for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have stayed here twice and I never had a problem....the motel is old but it is clean. The pool area is nice. I think management does what they can to accomodate you. Yes, the parking lot is small, but at least they try to help you by parking at a sister motel down the street and not on the street. Conrad who is the son, goes out of his way to help you. If you want luxury then pay the price!! But for a cheap get away that is close to the boards then I recommend this place. There is nothing that can be done about the beach being far away......that is God's doing. I am going back in mid August and looking very much to it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank louann53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Flanders, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

worst hotel I've ever stayed at,We arrived at the hotel 10 am because, we ware told by Natalie that because we ware charge,the full price instead of 50% deposit that she well have our room ready first, the room number was changed three times, when we ware able to get into the room at 11:45 hopeing to take a shower there ware no towers not one, the pillows had no pillow cases, the maid was trying very hard to make it, then I think it was the manager come in accusing us of coming in early and not letting the room get finished, and ask if we had pay extra in order to get into the room early, and that she was going tell the stuff not to ever let anyone in early, she rude, Why did They gave us the key to go to the room, if it was not ready in the firs place! I saw pics on there site of new microwaves, and refrigerator, ours was cover whit rust, if we wanted to use the microwave we needed to unplug the cable,the tower holder rod was broke,no paper toilet holder, the water won't go down in the vanity sink, we needed to shut the light off in order to change cloths, because there are no curtains, There's is no walkway , you have to walk between the park cars in Order to get to the stairs, cloths , towels hanging from the balcony, a/c had missing control for temp setting,

Thank god it was only for one night........

Travelers are raving about these North Wildwood hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had booked a room for September 7, 2012 - September 9, 2012 on May 24, 2012 I had sent in my deposit & the check was cashed on May 29, 2012. On June 17 I had sent an e-mail that I need to cancel & never received a reponse back so I had called on June 15 I was told to call back & talk to Kim I called back on June 21 ,June 29, July 12 they said they were working on my refund called back on July 23 & that the paperwork for my refund was on file well it is now July 24 a month later & still have not received my refund check I just keep getting the run around. Their Cancellation Policy is No cancellations before 4 weeks (to receive full deposit refund) of arrival when I ask for my refund it was 12 weeks before my arrival. Most likely they will say I waited to long to cancel & will never receive my deposit refund.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Came in on thursday and from then one, it was perfect. fireworks overhead, clean room, friendly staff, Hi Kim. My brother in law came in and was shown to a secure lot for his car. Motel also had pony rides for the kids. coffee poolside in the morning. We even had a wedding party next door. Middle of town right off the boardwalk but still quite by 1am. I will definitely be back next year. One suggestion ice machine, but there is a liquor store right down the block. anyway see you next year, thanks again for a wonderful time.

1 Thank Eleanor C
Nottingham PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We arrived in person in April to make a reservation for July. Spoke to Kim (the manager) and made a reservation for a room on the first floor. When we arrived for our vacation, she had assigned us to a room on the second floor. She did get us the room on the first floor after we told her that that was what we had made the reservation for but we were not able to check into the room on the first floor until 3:30. We sat by the pool and watched the maids go in and out and not finish cleaning the room for a long time. They seemed to be wandering around instead of getting the room ready. We had planned to bring food with us but the food would have spoiled while we were waiting to get into the room. Had a hard time getting fridge to turn on in room anyway and it is just a small fridge.

This hotel has no ice machine and no washers or dryers. I find it interesting that in one of the reviews the manager says there is a new washer and dryer. We asked Kim and she said there were no washers or dryers. They make you walk two blocks (opposite direction from the beach)to their other hotel to get ice. Parking is limited and some of the spaces have poles in them that are next to your passenger door so your door won't open. Don't bring your big SUV here because it won't fit in their spaces. If you could get in in their lot, you will get your vehicle banged up as spaces are tiny so leave your new car at home. We were afraid to move our car as there are not enough parking spaces for all the rooms that they rent. We had planned to go out and buy groceries but were afraid of losing our parking space.

Room has a tile floor so your clothes never dry and the floor gets damp and everything stinks but since they don't have a washer and dryer, you have to hike another two blocks or more to the laundramat. There are no drapes just blinds over the windows that let in a lot of light at night which makes it hard to sleep.

Beach is a looooooooooooooong walk and there are no public port a potties on the beach near this hotel. There is a huge sand dune that you must hike over with all your beach stuff to get to the water. Staying here makes you wish you had stayed home as you are exhausted by the time you get to the beach.

This is a low buget hotel. If you are expecting to be close to the beach, this isn't the hotel for you. It is a two block walk to the boardwalk and at least a half mile or more walk from the boardwalk to the water. You can't check in until between 3 and 6 PM and then you have to be checked out at 10 AM. This means you lose two days of your vacation. They tell you that you can sit by the pool while you are waiting for your room but there are no bathrooms or changing areas available.

You have to pay 50% of your reservation before you arrive and then if you can't come, and if you don't notify then 30 days before your arrival, you lose your deposits. Most hotels allow you a longer time to cancel your reservation and get your deposit back.

Room Tip: Look for a room in Wildwood Crest. Hotels are somewhat closer to the beach and there are boards to...
1 Thank Reds24
Collingdale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I just got done my vacation here on recommendation of a family friend. I made reservations with a lady named kim and she screwed the rooms up, wich the owner fixed the next day. He was great, but some of the cleaning staff not so much. we stayed a week nd two days had to ask for toilet paper nd they didnt sweep so we had to chase down a broom nd dust pan, i also asked more then once for a fitted sheet nd never got it. There are plenty of things for the owner to review like his staff especially Kim, However he was alot of help nd would be the only reason id go back to this motel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bridget B
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

There were many positive and negative concerning Bird of Paradise:
Free ice cream on Mondays and poolside magic at the sister motel just down the street; pool was warm and kept clean; rooms are spacious; bed was comfortable. A microwave, mini refrigerator and small table and chairs were in the room.
Negatives:
Only two outlets in the room . There was a micro wave but nowhere to plug it in....I moved it to on top of the bed side stand. There is a lamp on the table but no outlet nearby. No light in closet area and no hangers. The only outlet in the bathroom was up on the vanity light. (suggest an upgrade to electric service to add a light to the closet more outlets in the room and GFCI in the bathroom) I had to stand on the side of the tub to plug in my hair drier....safety issue!! With requirements for cell phones needing charged, laptops etc outlets were not adeqaut; The tv, cable box, refrigerator, lamp and microwave that were already in the room, I was concerned that the electric service was not up to code. I also like to have a broom and dust pan provided, especially with tile floors. They need to be kept swept at least daily as there is nothing worse that dirty socks and grit sticking to bare feet. There a re 30 rooms and 24 parking spaces. You can park at the sister hotel if you can find parking there- It is a long walk with luggage or groceries. Our neighbor's room had the bed too close to the air conditioning and the condensation made the sheets WET.
All in all it was an older motel so many of the areas for improvement aren't uncommon. We had a nice time and enjoyed our stay. Management was friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family