“Are you people on drugs??”
Review of Surf Haven Motel

Surf Haven Motel
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
“Are you people on drugs??”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I really want to know what kind of drugs all these people are on who are writing the great reviews about this dump. The surf haven is single handedly the most disgusting hotel I've ever been in. I've been going to wildwood since I was a baby and have stayed in tons of different hotels. I was not expecting the ritz carlton luxuries here..just a clean bathroom and working air conditioner would have been nice. Oh yea..and a room without ants crawling everywhere. Not asking much. Donna the owner was very nice , don't get me wrong. But our second night there was a total nightmare. The storms were so bad and the amount of rain we got that night was crazy. So of course our roof starts leaking really bad..at around 230 am ugh. Carl came up and one of his first defenses was that it wasn't his fault. Not very comforting at all. They had no rooms available so we had to stay in this room until the next morning..roof still leaking into 3 separate trash cans!! It was awful. My family stuck it out and we were pretty good sports about it considering the circumstances. The bathrooms were so gross. Stains and rust in the sinks. Hair in drain..so gross that I wore flip flops when I showered. This place really needs updating. The stoves are rusted and don't look safe at all so we didn't even attempt to use them. The electrical stuff is scary too..extension cords laying everywhere. I really have no other explanation for the good reviews below, other than that they're definitely made up. Save your money and stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Tara0205

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Glassboro
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This place is old and dirty. Bathrooms are scumy. Outside walkways are a mess and everyone smokes. So many nicer places to stay. Unless you enjoy spending your vacation in filth, do yourself and a favor and stay somewhere else.

1 Thank DonJuan815
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Another excellent stay at the surf haven! We have being going here for years! The onwers Donna and Carl are more like family to us. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. very clean rooms,pool and bbq. I can't see our family going to wildwood and staying anyway else. They can count on seeing us again next year!! Matt,Debbie and lil Matt Baranowski. Phila PA

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I cannot figure out why the reviews are so overwhelmingly positive on this website. This motel looks nothing like any of the pictures on the website. Although the owners are nice, that does not make up for quality of the rooms. The bathroom door did not close, the ceiling was leaking, you have to unplug "kitchen" appliances to use other ones, and the overall bathroom cleanliness was appalling. When you sit on the toilet, your face is literally in the sink. Everything is outdated. Although there is a large "No Smoking" sign when you check in, plenty of ash trays are provided outside the rooms where smoking seems to be encouraged. Also, parking is no guarantee and the owners encourage you to double-park other guests when no spots are left and leave your keys in the office with them. This was a nuisance. You are better off staying anywhere else. I cannot imagine these other reviews are real.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SurfHavenReview
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I find it strangely curious how so many of the previous reviewers make an emphasis on how clean the hotel is. It is as if they are trying to convince, or over compensate, that are no issues with cleanliness. Based on my recent experience I serously don't know how reviewers can make those statements. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't have high expectations and understand you get what you pay for, but don't insult me by claiming this is a clean hotel and deserves to be rated so high. I've stayed in some run down hotels in Wildwood the last 30 years and can deal with out dated furniture as long it is somewhat clean. However, this is no way the case at the Surf Haven. The bathroom was so nasty I was afraid to do anything in there. The sink was absolutely disgusting, it was filly and rusty from the contuniously running. In addition I noticed ants crawling around the sink two times. I was afraid even to wash my hands. The shower was equally bad. It was dirty, moldy, and had a wad of hair on the drain. For the showers I did take, I made a point to wear my flip flops so my feet would not touch the bottom of the basin. As a result, although the main room looked clean enough, I was not convinced based on what was in the bathroom. Also noticed the sheets were not changed the three days I was there. The outside of hotel, walkways, pool area are all run down as well. This place is on the same level as the Cozy Crest Motel (stayed there once), which has to be one of the worst motels in all of the Wildwoods.

Room Tip: Bring sheets and don't plan to spend anytime in the bathroom.
1 Thank skral815
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is our 10th year at SURF HAVEN and we wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else! Donna & Carl (the owners) are the nicest people we've ever met, they treat EVERYONE like family and go out of their way to make sure you are happy there. The rooms, the pool/pool area, the bbq area, inside and outside, everything is very clean and well taken care of. The maid service is excellent! Plenty of tables & chairs & loungers poolside and in the bbq area, two extra showers in the back w/ hot & cold water to use after a visit to the beach, and a hose to rinse off all your beach items, there's even an extra bathroom right there before the showers. We've NEVER had a bad experience there and have NO COMPLAINTS what-so-ever. WE LOVE SURF HAVEN and would never stay anywhere else!!! John & Barbara Swanson & family Philadelphia, PA

Room Tip: All of the rooms at Surf Haven are great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank barbarab15
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The Surf Haven Motel was excellent! The staff is so friendly and the room was perfect for us. It had everything we needed. This was the first vacation for my boyfriend and I and we couldn't have had a better time. Truly an excellent place especially because it is only about 2 blocks away from the boardwalk. I would definitely stay there again being that it is not too expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple