“Stay Away - Save Your Vacation”

Florentine Family Motel
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
USA
“Stay Away - Save Your Vacation”
Reviewed June 1, 2007

Just came back from what I consider my worst hotel/motel stay ever and I travel for a living. Absolutely don't believe what they say on their Web Site.

Here's why - When I opened the door, I found myself in a room no bigger than 12'x12'. The room had a full bed at the corner of the room leaving only one side to get out from. There was a small table with chairs and a chest of drawers with TV on it. If you pulled the chair to sit on it there was no room to move. Also, there was no place to put my suitcase after I emptied it. The room had a small refrigerater with coffee maker on it. If the lights in room were on along with A/C and you plugged in the coffee maker the ircuit would trip. (Had a hard time fixing it the first night as the management is not available after 10 PM) At other end of the room was a door to the smallest bathroom possible - the pot was so small that it was hard to sit on. I did not know companies made such compact pots. All this reminded me of my dorm room when I was in college with the exception that my dorm room was roomier (just to give you an idea of how cramped the space was.)

Let me start with the room - the room had a musty smell and carpet was worn and dirty. The walls were filthy and the ceiling looked like it had repaired for water leaks - most of it was popcorn with patches of flat. The lights fixtures had dead bugs in them and had wiring that was not in the wall. The full bed seemed to be at least 15 years old had springs poking you when you sat on it. The sheets and covers were faded and worn. The table and chairs were heavily used. The dresser was so old that the front of upper drawer came in my hand. Only good thing so far was the TV - it was colored and had a working remote control.

I think you get the idea, so I won't go in to describing the bathroom except to say that take a quick shower or you will burn/freeze as water temp kept on swaying from icy cold to bubbling hot. Also, let the water run for few minutes before brushing your teeth as the initial flow was light yellow in color - better still buy bottled water to brush your teeth.

Quick word about the daily maid service, the only thing I saw done was garbage removed and towels replaced in bathroom. The bed had the cover straightened but when I lifted it the sheets under were from the night before and not even straightened. Was the carpet vacummed - couldn't tell you.

On the aminities listed, Wireless Internet - my computer could not detect it, Heated Pool - yes if you like the temp to be in low 70s, Refrigerator - yes was physically present, but didn't really cool my cans of beer even after they were in it over night, A/C - yes, noisy but thankfully working.

Here's the positive thing ... it was a beach block property.

Bottom line is that the motel stay dampened my whole vacation - one that I had saved for for a long time. For $125+ a night, I could have stayed in a much better place. Unfortunately, I could not move out after the first night as they take cash (paying by credit card has an extra 5% added.) and all up front for the entire stay. They have a policy of no refunds ... (I guess) otherwise most guests will leave after the first night.

One last thing, you are not allowed by management to bring company to your room. If you do, they charge you extra. Just wondering how they track that ... hmmmm.

So imho, please find a better place to stay ... Wildwood is full of motels/hotels and most are beach block or close to the beach - it wouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to walk to the beach.

• Liked — Beach Block
  • Disliked — Dirty and unhygenic surroundings
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank DVT99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
NJ
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I have stayed in wildwood for about five summers now. This was the worst I have ever encountered. I paid $400 for two nights in a room that was smaller then my closet. Nevermind the hidden fees that come with it. Upon my arrival I checked in and went out and seen two of my friends on the 2nd night. We had a nice time out and had a couple of drinks, instead of them driving home I told them to stay with me in my room. I went to the front desk and tried to pay for two extra guests ($20 a person) in my room and was told "oh no your not". i went back to the room and told them to stay anyway. The next day the maid knocked on the door and told me that I cannot leave the sign "do not disturb"up for more then 24 hours. which I never heard of in my life. We were stalked the whole day and felt like we were in prison, everywhere we looked their was someone watching us. I proceeded to check out and then was told that I had to pay for the extra guests, no problem I said here is the 40 bucks.
Then I was told that is was $216 extra for the two people for 1 night. They charged my account. It was never stated in the contract that is was $95 per person to stay overnight. It said $20. I would never recomend anyone to stay here. The owners and staff are rude and they are scam artists.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything especially the owners
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you ask about all fees even hidden ones
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
13 Thank danielledawn
conn
Reviewed July 29, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Florentine for one week in July and we loved it alot....the rooms where big and bright, clean, the kichens that they have in them come with everything a family would need for their stay there...the pool in clean and very warm, at night you can really see dolphens in the pool....if you need something they have it right on hand...you can go and take games, videos for the kids...My family and I enjoyed it alot...we look foward to going back again...

• Liked — the large rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — go to this motel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank bon5547
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My Fiancee and I have been going to NJ for several years and we try to stay at a different hotel each time. This hotel was the worst!!! The room was VERY SMALL!!! There wasnt even a foot between the bed and the wall. The bathroom had tile and half of them were cracked and broken. The grout in the tile was BLACK and they had the nerve to tell us not to get sand in the tub (it probably would of made it look better). The towels were gross and the room smelled musty. We had a nice view, we were right in front of the pool. The owner was working when we tried to check in and he was rude. He had one word answers to all my questions and I dont think he ever smiled!!!! The worst part is that many hotels wont let yng ppl stay there, Im 20 and my fiancee is 23. They are one of the few hotels who will let us stay. I dont recommend it for anyone...

• Stayed June 2005