“The reviews scared me but we were pleasantly surprised!”
Review of Surf 16 Motel

and 1 more site!
Surf 16 Motel
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We went down for the firemans convention and this was the first time our company booked this hotel. After reading the reviews I was a little scared of what we would find. We stayed for 4 days and had a blast. Check in was fast and friendly. The rooms were really nice with hardwood floors (pergo) newer appliances and very spacious. The staff was friendly and very helpful with anything any of us wanted. We took up the entire hotel and no one had any complaints. We are already booked there for next year. The owners came out and spent time with us and any problems were immediately taken care of. If you understand typical beach hotels, this one ranks higher than most. Thanks Surf 16 for a great time.

Room Tip: We took a couple of pots and pans because of the review but when we got there stuff was already in t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JonneanL

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for a convention. This was the first year for our group to be at the Surf 16, and we do not regret a second of it. The staff is very friendly and the rooms were clean. You can see the owners definitely take pride in their location. I definitely plan on staying at the Surf 16 Motel again if I go back to Wildwood!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeffs212
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I hav to say this was my first time staying at the surf 16 motel and it was a pleasurable experience. The room was great.. It was better then expected. The owners and staff were extremely friendly and always working on something. The maid came in everyday and scrubbed the room it smelled noce an clean better then any other hotel. For people that rate this a poor hotel must think Wildwood has 5 star hotels... It is exactly what to expect being in Wildwood. If you like something great hoep you have thousands of dollars to get your 5 star wishes.. Great Job Surf 16!!!!

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom room is Great!!!
1  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just spent a long weekend at Surf 16. We chose this motel because we took our dog. We were concerned that a pet-friendly motel would be dirty, smelly, noisy, etc.

Surf 16 was none of those. It was very clean and quiet. They have a pet yard in the back that is also kept very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The other travelers were respectful and quiet - lots of families with pets.

Remember, this is Wildwood, not Manhattan. Like most every motel in Wildwood Surf 16 could use some remodeling and updating, but it was a clean, quiet "home base" for our vacation that welcomed our dog. That was all we wanted, and Surf 16 delivered at a reasonable price. We would definitely stay again.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed at the Surf 16 Motel over labor day weekend. Our little family had a great time! We brought our little dog, Cookie, and she made lots of friends! It was a great way to meet other people while we were at the shore. The rooms are kept neat and tidy and you would never know it's a "pet friendly" hotel because the rooms are kept clean and smell fresh. I was worried after reading some of the reviews about the hotel, but I can assure you it's a great place to stay. It is an older hotel, but the doo-woo style made it feel unique. This is not a hotel of luxury but of comfort. It has all of the essentials. If you're looking for a luxurious mansion-like hotel, look elsewhere! This is a family-oriented, small but comfortable place-and it's great if that's what you're looking for. The staff was great and helped us find restaurants around town, gave my mom whatever she needed if it wasn't in the room, and kept an eye on things around the hotel. Great prices too! The only suggestion for improvement-an outlet in the bathroom! We had a great time here with our pup and you will too! Thank you and we hope to see you again next year!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank brittanyzor
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had to take our dog with us, so our choices were limited as far as where to stay. We had a couple of recommendations for this place, so we went for it. We did a midweek special from Sunday to Friday.

First of all, I must note that I was not expecting a 4-star hotel experience. I've been going to Wildwood since I was a kid and know going in that most of the hotels are older and the rates are generally high.

That being said, I can't give as harsh of a review of this motel as some have, but there is certainly room for improvement.

We requested a room type F, which was listed as a 2 bedroom apartment. Our room was on the first floor, which was nice because we didn't have to worry about stairs with my toddler and the dog. However, ours was a corner room and there was no front window, which made the atmosphere quite dreary. There was a storm door with a glass window, but it didn't provide us with much light. The living/kitchen area was very narrow and felt like a hallway. The bathroom was also very tiny. The furniture, finishes and appliances were all very outdated and not very appealing, but they were functional and clean. The cheap mattresses in the bedrooms were like rocks.... so bad that I actually slept on the sofa, (which wasn't much better, but at least I could sleep). If you plan on making your own food, you have to bring everything with you...right down to coffee filters. Nothing is provided. The kitchenette consists of a stove with 4 burners, a sink, and a small refrigerator. There are no outlets nearby, so we had to plug the toaster in on the nightstand in our bedroom. The ancient microwave and coffee maker are on a table underneath the TV, (which is mounted high up in the corner). There is no counter space and only one tiny old cabinet above the fridge for storage. You have to leave a $25 refundable deposit for a plastic storage bin with basic cookware and dining utensils.. a bit odd, but I suppose it is for theft/damage control. We also had to leave a $100 refundable deposit on top of the nightly fee for our dog. I understand some insurance for incidentals, but most hotels take a credit card, not make you go get cash from the ATM at the corner. Also, if you want internet, you have to pay unless you have Comcast. I thought that was BS... $35 for the entire stay for internet access that was slow at best.

There were some good things, however. We only had a 2 block walk to the beach/boardwalk. Night time was peaceful and quiet...no rowdy teenagers or loud music. Housekeeping was friendly when they came around in the morning and cleaned/brought us towels when we requested, (Note: you must request either by asking them directly or hanging a sign on the doorknob...they do not come automatically). The property itself was very clean in general and the swimming pool was immaculate. I saw maintenance people working on the place almost every time we went outside during the day, so I imagine there are a lot of renovations going on. We did see that the rooms above the office look new... I wish we had been able to stay in one of those instead, assuming they were much more modern than the rest of the place.

In summary, it was typical Wildwood, but I don't believe we would stay there again. It's just not worth the money.

Room Tip: Request the rooms above the office that appear to have been redone. Stay away from corner rooms.
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at surf 16 for 4 days from August 17th, til August 20th, 2012. Well I walked into the room and gasped at the conditions of the "little old rusted out refrigerator", the old cruddy stove top, and the 4x4 bathroom. The bathrooms are so small that you literally trip over the toilet trying to wash your hands at the rusted out sink. The wooden floors were grimy with dirt everyday. I wanted to leave upon entering the room but I had paid in advance and they have a "no refund return policy", what a joke. I will never stay in this little run down, maintenance thirsty motel again, and yes, I have warned others as well. There are signs posted along the balcony which reads "no running on deck", this is because when someone in simply walking along the deck it vibrates in your room like an earthquake is occurring. These owners need to seriously use the money they are collecting from everyone to do some major renovations on this property immediately!!!!! I was very disappointed and disgusted with my entire stay at surf 16 motel.

3  Thank b w
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

I am sorry your visit was not all that you expected. You should know that we are in our second season and we are actively spending money on a regular basis on areas that we ourselves know need improvement. It is always a matter of priorities with any size turnaround but each day does get a little better. As our many repeat customers will attest to.
As for your criticism on the cleanliness of the floor that is certainly something that could have been easily resolved and I apoligize for the condition. Someone is always on site and would have happliy addressed the issue had you said something in person. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis but you expressed no disatisfaction to anyone on the housekeeping or office staff which gave us no chance to satisfy you. Your comfort is important to us but is impossible to address in your annonimity. Which really is the problem with these types of WEB sites. We are reasonable people who would not and do not ignore the comfort of our guests. Rick