“Bedbugs!! A terrible experience.”

and 1 more site!
Acropolis Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in North Wildwood
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my mother and sister. Each of us had a different room, and I was checked in to Room 200.

Before putting my luggage down and settling into the 2-bed room, I checked for bedbugs in the room by pulling the sheets off the mattresses and looking around for any signs of bedbugs. I did not find any at the time. I slept in the room, and when I woke up the next day I sat up in bed and noticed something peculiar about the bed next to me.

On the part of the bed just under the mattress, there were several dark, smudge-like spots. I had missed this during my inspection the day before! I proceeded to lift up the mattress, and what I saw was a disgusting image I will never forget: there were thousands of little black spots on the underside of the mattress! After seeing this sign of bedbugs, I gathered my things and moved into my sister's room, which appeared to be safe.

When I returned home, I took my suitcases and carefully unpacked their contents in the bathtub, preparing them to be washed. I also took out my steam cleaner and blasted my suitcases with steam to kill anything that might have moved into my luggage. After the steaming of my luggage, I placed it all in the trunk of my car for a week in hopes that the hot temperature of the trunk would kill any bugs that might have been missed by the steam.

Besides the awful experience of my bedbug encounter, the hotel's general level of comfort was very low. The rooms were quite dirty, with various crumbs and dead bugs (besides the bedbugs) scattered throughout. Also, the heater in my room was in disrepair-- it could not be turned on because of the obnoxious rattling noise that came from it. My mother kept getting locked out of her room, even though she had tried the various keys that the staff gave her.

I am not usually quick to complain, but this hotel is just unacceptable. There was, however, one positive point to the hotel: The ocean view was nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank k3ls

Reviewed November 30, 2009

We have been going to the Acropolis for twenty years, and we have enjoyed each stay. The people running the place now are the second generation. Nick & Jen have always made us feel at home. THe rooms are clean, the staff is excellent, and the view is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Have brought friends and relatives . WE will continue to return as long as we are able.

Reviewed September 29, 2009

I would have had a more comfortable stay on the beach than my stay at the Acrappyloss.
Started out on the bottom floor which reeked of mildew. Asked to be moved to another floor which was one floor up and this room are you ready: 1) Heavy smoke odor . stunk so bad I had to hang a auto air freshener in the room. 2) Entrance door was so rusted it looked as though it was going to fall off its hinges. 3) Pay for ice which was on the 5th floor because the one on the third floor didn't work. 4) Carpet was black along the walls. 5) lamps were heavily rusted. 6) Bed was slanted as I kept rolling off of it in the middle of the night. 7) Sheets stained with what looked like melted cheese. 8) TV remote 5 dollar deposit. 9) TV kept shutting off and on. 10) The worst part was the bar closed at 11:00 PM on a Saturday night. I couldn't even drink the miserable weekend away.

2  Thank bummedout1
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Don't stay. Horrible hotel. Noisy. Rude, need of repair. Looks ok on the outside but very deceiving. Would never stay there again!

3  Thank reds9
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We have stayed here many times. I have always found the hotel to be fine. The ocean views are amazing!!!!!
I have read some horrible reviews here and i have to disagree with all of them. Yes, this is your typical new jersey shore hotel room. I always expect some issues anywhere at the shore. Come on, its the shore...things get rusty.
We got caught in the rain one night, so we stayed at a bar longer than expected because the streets were flooded and closed. We got up late the next day and i was so surprised that housekeeping left a bag on the door with fresh towels, tp, soap and trashbags. I have never had that happen at any hotel. The owners are making a lot of improvements this year. The pool is incredible and this year they had "Elvis" performing at the poolside bar on Sunday.
I do think this is fine place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmm9876
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Everyone was so very nice from the woman who made the reservation to the maids who gave us excellent service. Was not real crazy about the restaurant for breakfast but hopefully they will get the kinks out. Great pool, clean room and everyone was so very helpful. Thought I lost my glasses and went back after we checked out and the maids went thru the trash for me and we found them. Extra towels and pillows were not a problem. The view was breathtaking and we totally enjoyed our 4 days there. Will definitely go back!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I just retuned home from spending 4 nights at the Acropolis. It was not as bad as some of the reviews say. Have they every stayed in Wildwood before? It is a typical Wildwood hotel/motel. Yes it is an older hotel but everything was in working order in our room. We were on the 5th floor - the view was wonderful. The short walk to the beach (and small beach) was great. The pool could have been open later. Our housekeeper was the only staff member that we had a problem with, She seemed very lazy. I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Aloha Oceanfront Motel
#1 of 39 in North Wildwood
1 mi away
Howard Johnson Wildwood Boardwalk
Howard Johnson Wildwood Boardwal...
#36 of 39 in North Wildwood
Florentine Family Motel
Florentine Family Motel
#7 of 39 in North Wildwood

Been to Acropolis Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!