“would have walked away but was desperate”

Acropolis Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #38 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Due to a family emergency I needed a hotel room near cape may at the last minute for saturday night in july - which I knew was going to be a tough thing to find. The Acropolis was the only place that wasn't penthouse-suite expensive that had any availability within an hours drive of where I needed to be so I took it. When we got there it was a dump, the rooms are so shabby and in need of renovation. It was the middle of the day and it was so dark in my room, with every lamp in it on, that i actually couldn't read anything. THe TV and phone didn't work, there was a nightclub going on outside during the day and firecrackers being thrown of the balcony above us (almost hitting us) at night. Only one ice machine in the whole hotel was working on the top floor (we were on the bottom) and you had to put quarters into it to get any (which the desk didn't bother to tell me when I had to go to them to even get an ice bucket). The bathroom was old, tiny and dark. The view accross the street was pretty great, the location is nice but the room was horrendous. By far the worst I have ever experienced. I would have walked right out and left but i already knew that I had searched everywhere and this was the only availability within an hours drive of the hospital so we toughed it out. Never been so happy to leave a place in my life. The only blessing is we didn't get bedbugs, I spent the whole time afraid we'd get them because it was so dark and dirty you wouldn't know it but that is one problem they don't seem to have. I would say stay far far away from them unless you just want to get drunk into oblivion and need a cheaper hotel in the area.

Room Tip: upper floors have better view, closer access to ice machine (which you will need because the fridge...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank megs2219

Reviewed September 3, 2012

this is my 4th review on this spot. my first 2 were real bad and my next to last was a far better one. this review was for my aug trip and stay there was not bad at all we were able to check in early a ADDED PLUS. there were carts for lugguage ect which in other reviews there were not. the rooms ac did work as did everything else as it should for $200.00 a night. the place does need a overhual of remodeling ect and i cant believe the state of new jersey code officers let them get away with the overloaded wireing in the cooking area. overall its not worth nowhere near 200.00 a night its more like mybe tops 100.00. also in my last 3 reviews of this place i HATE the fact that the place sells all the parking spots to one day beach goers for $15.00 and the people who stay there have no where to park. overall i been staying here for years and i really dont think it will ever change. i stay here for the ocean view and the more quiet end of wildwood. ill do a review again on this place god willing in may of 2013 and let you all know how it turns out.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank garfield92
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My mother and I went down for a quick 3 day visit. We were looking for something with a private balcony and something right on the ocean at a decent price. After much research(including seeing the reviews about this hotel), I decided to take a chance on this hotel since the pictures and location looked so nice. We stayed in room 400 in the smaller room w two queen beds. Paid $164/night. This review is objective and realistic...
As follows: Cons : our room was located on the very end and the door to the room was inside it's own little hallway, next to the stairwell, which made my mother very nervous. It looked like the door had been tampered with and the lock didn't work correctly. However, it did lock from the outside but from the inside, there was a separate latch above the lock which led me to believe the door had been tampered with & latch had been put there as a safety. There wasn't a table and chairs in our room so if we had brought food back, would've had to eat it on our bed. However,there was a desk & chair we could've pulled out. The restaurant downstairs had a really bad moldy smell to it. I couldn't think about eating there bc of it but they offered outside seating which was fine. Live entertainment must only be on the weekends though which was disappointing. Last & biggest con was that the refrigerator didn't really work. Luckily we brought big ziplock bags and had to fill them w ice to keep inside the fridge. However,they charge 50 cents for bucket of ice. Not for the younger,club-hopping crowd but we didn't want that anyway
Pros: Located on very end of strip so very quiet & relaxing;hardly any traffic and only a few feet from beach. Surrounding area was upscale & not slumlike, like the Wildwood area by the boardwalk. Beautiful!!!! Most of the staff were very friendly and maid service extremely nice. If you needed anything,they were more than accomadating. Room was clean, had clean microwave & full size coffee pot, linens,beds,bathroom,rugs,etc. were clean. Private balcony was amazing! Pool area & outside bar was great. Family owned for over 75 years and in process of upgrading. This season sliding doors were replaced and they were huge(entire wall was glass facing ocean). Needs some other upgrades but it was more than good enough for what we wanted! Couldn't see spending $300 a night like some of the other hotels I priced online. We are DEFINATELY going back next year!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kimberly C
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Our rooms at the Acropolis were ultra comfortable and provided a breathtaking panoramic view of the ocean. We saw the sun rise over the ocean from our living room. The motel has an Olympic-sized pool, poolside bar, and restaurant. The live music at poolside was superb and helped us to relax. The staff was accommodating and it was a relief to receive such hospitality. Our rooms on the 4th floor were clean and stylish with comfortable bedding. The furniture was immaculate and of excellent quality, unlike the foul-smelling furniture in some seaside motels. Our bathroom shower and linens were also delightful. We chose the Acropolis for its prime location, across from the beach and within blocks of the boardwalk, restaurants and dancing. But for the value, we got much more. A shout-out to the cook for perfect home-fried potatoes at breakfast. Kudos to the staff for providing a clean, fun, comfortable resort. They deserve it. We had a fine vacation here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top three floors have the best view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Clare C
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The rooms are filthy and management does not care...they didn't even bother to clean the room til I complained at $220. A nite it is not worth it.

When I told the manager at 5 pm that the room had not been cleaned he didn't seem to care..the next day at 1 pm the room was still not cleaned..when I told manager he said well the cleaning staff told me they cleaned the day before. Wouldn't u have checked to make sure ? Wouldn't u care that ur guests weren't happy? Apparently he did not care..they only cleaned the room after I complained..

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank butrflie813
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am writing this from the beach since the location is the only good thing about this hotel. Our room was disgusting, pubic hairs in the bathtub and filthy carpets. The kitchen cabinets were missing handles and practically falling down. I can't believe they have the nerve to charge $250 a night for this dump! I paid $1000 for 4 nights and the only reason I'm still here is because I can't rent on such short notice. It is in a great location but there are nicer and less expensive places to the right and left!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I knew what to expect when I booked this spot. A typical 1940's-50's in the DooWop shore town, family owned and operated, cash only in most places, but on the beach, beautiful ocean views, balcony, swimming pool - living the dream. Well, the dream turned into a nightmare! I read the reviews, but people complain about alot of little things. Day one was great, the carpet was wet, ok, I can deal with keeping everything off the floor and wearing shoes. Breakfast was ok, could be cleaner, but not over priced. Kathleen the bartender was great, but she was gone after day one. Nancy, at the front desk was exceptional on day one, but when problems started she never made eye contact again. The "kitchenette" is in the bathroom, couldn't brush my hair in the mirror without getting hair in the food, ok I will just moved to the bedroom mirror. Luckily I am tiny or ther would be no turning around in the bathroom. Beds were clean and comfortable, I could sit on the bed cover without feeling creepy, which, in the end was the only positive thing I could say about having to cut our 10 day vacation to 3. The door to our room was left wide open all afternoon, they changed the light in the kitchenette and left the dead bugs from the globe on the counter. But they assured me they don't "usually do that" everything that happened was met with pat answers, excuses, and down right lies. When the elevator broke, after 24hrs of "it will be fixed soon", we left and got a refund. No view or location can make up for the hell of this hotel. Not sure we will ever go back to North Wildwood again.

Room Tip: upper floors have better views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple