“Last weekend of Sir Johns!”
Review of Sir John's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sir John's
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I went here on their last weekend of officially being Sir Johns -- it has new EVERYTHING and is now called Lago. This is a very nice, fancy place to go for a date night or celebration. The decor is tasteful, the service unrushed, the staff friendly, and the food pricy but good. The portions are nice sized, especially for a fancier place, and the prices are decent. I look forward to going back with its new owners and style. It looks to be much trendier now.

1  Thank SheyJosie

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Sir John's has a new owner, has been re-freshened, refurbished and is now called Lago. Since we dined there only about a week after the re-branding, it may be unfair to paint a broad brush about how the restaurant will do, but here's what 5 of us experienced on a Saturday evening after Thanksgiving. We had 6 PM reservations and were seated promptly. One server took the order and the other brought the food. Compared to Sir John's, there seemed to be more servers scurrying around and in fact they were generally attentive, bringing ice tea refills One of our servers said it was his first day and of course he couldn't answer any questions about the menu. Speaking of the menu, gone is the extensive Sir John's multi-page menu that always included a salad with the entree, plus the sandwiches, burgers and the pasta dishes that were a staple. Instead the menu has been shrunk down to one page and primarily features steaks, veal and fish dishes but it's all ala carte so salad is not included with an entree which ups the cost. If there were any specials, no one told us about them. Sir John's dinner rolls, although never noteworthy but at least with some substance, have been replaced by sad looking challah sliced bread that barely stood up to buttering. Definitely an area for improvement.

As for the food, the fried calamari appetizer was tasty, crispy rings covered with a light aoeli sauce and red sauce for dipping. As for the entrees, the prime rib ordered medium rare came out a bit too medium for my taste and was sent back for a replacement which came out fine. The portion was decent sized but no bone and not as good as Sir John's which was always superb. The veal scappolini and chicken francaise dishes were not special but OK, all came with broccolini, which was overcooked and mushy and some undistinguished fingerling potatoes. One of the veal dishes was a bit tough but was exchanged for another portion which was better. Always wonder why can't the second better prepared portion come out first? The red snapper we ordered was not tender at all and should have been sent back.

Lago has some nice desserts and the chocolate mousse cake was nicely done. They accommodate large parties and the restaurant was pretty much full by 7 PM. The issue I have is with value - after all this is North Brunswick not New York, and with the ala carte pricing and the nod to an upscale venue, the food should be closer to perfection, but clearly misses that mark. I suggest waiting a few weeks to see if the new owners can work out the kinks, but I think going back to a more value-oriented menu would not degrade the experience.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have been going to Sir John's for at least twenty years and this is the first time I was disappointed. We had dinner here last night and I was not very impressed. We started out with an insalata salad, it was plentiful, but a little bland. The house salad was good, although my boyfriend had cherry tomatoes on his and I had none on mine. My Stuffed Sole was delicious as was his Steak Au Poivre. The baked potatoes had an odd flavor to them. Neither one of us could pin it down, but it wasn't pleasant. We passed on dessert because we were full, a good thing. The prices were reasonable and the waitstaff, Jake and Nicole, were top notch. One thing we found really annoying was the techno-sounding music. You shouldn't notice the music while you dine and you really shouldn't be annoyed by the music, but this music was awful and distracting. Looking around the room we noted that the majority of the patrons were fifty years old or older. The music has to change. You would have thought one of the young employees had plugged in their iPod. We'll let the new owners get settled before we go back.

1  Thank Anita C
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had dinner there on 10/25/13. We arrived at 6:30 pm. The Restaurant was not that busy but there was a private affair in the banquet room. The dining room has 2 walls of windows. It was evening so I do not know if you would see the lake. The room has no identity. It is not decorated at all. There was pocket lighting, and nothing hanging on the other walls. The service was quick & attentive. The bread was a little warm, but very dry. We ordered the Cold antipasto salad for our appetizer. It was ok, 2 cheeses, red peppers, artichoke hearts, prosutto, and some white beans. It was edible, but nothing spectacular. The garden salad served with dinner was very plain & not pretty. Some greens, 1 cherry tomato, 1 cucumber slice, and a few strands of shredded carrots. For my main course I had the Seafood Fra Diavolo, which is shrimp, mussels, clams & scallops over pasta in a red sauce. The server warned me that it is a spicy dish so I ordered it mild and it was. It was ok. I actually like the Macaroni Grills version much better. My spouse had the Chicken Tarantino which he said was so so. We were going to order dessert but saw a server serving another table so we passed. We saw a piece of pie on a plate, & 2 different kinds of cake on a plate. No whipped cream, chocolate sauce, etc... to make the desserts look special. Putting all that together we will not be returning.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

You can have a sandwich, a burger or a full dinner at Sir John's. We found a great coupon and enjoyed a much-needed upscale, yet casual evening with one other couple this time (yes, we've been here many times before).

The restaurant overlooks a small lake and I requested that we be seated outdoors if possible when I made reservations. When we arrived, the parking lot was nearly full because they were also serving a small wedding party at the restaurant that night. But, no problem with our seating. Outdoors overlooking the lake and far enough from the wedding party's cocktail hour that we were not disturbed by them (also, we and other diners weren't right on top of the wedding party). The evening was perfect for sitting outdoors and the restaurant is on a quiet road, so sitting outdoors turned out to be an excellent choice.

Our server was professional, courteous, knowledgeable and made us feel welcome. The food was very good too, both appetizers and entrees. American fare, well prepared and seasoned and decent portion sizes also. The hot dishes were served hot and everything tasted fresh. But, the Red Sangria was better than good - I recommend it for the perfect summertime meal addition.

The restaurant has a full bar, if you don't like Sangria. Their wine selection is decent and not overpriced.

I recommend Sir Johns. I know I'll be back again.