“Not impressed for the first time”
Review of Sir John's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sir John's
Cuisines: American
Newport, Rhode Island
“Not impressed for the first time”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to Sir John's for at least twenty years and this is the first time I was disappointed. We had dinner here last night and I was not very impressed. We started out with an insalata salad, it was plentiful, but a little bland. The house salad was good, although my boyfriend had cherry tomatoes on his and I had none on mine. My Stuffed Sole was delicious as was his Steak Au Poivre. The baked potatoes had an odd flavor to them. Neither one of us could pin it down, but it wasn't pleasant. We passed on dessert because we were full, a good thing. The prices were reasonable and the waitstaff, Jake and Nicole, were top notch. One thing we found really annoying was the techno-sounding music. You shouldn't notice the music while you dine and you really shouldn't be annoyed by the music, but this music was awful and distracting. Looking around the room we noted that the majority of the patrons were fifty years old or older. The music has to change. You would have thought one of the young employees had plugged in their iPod. We'll let the new owners get settled before we go back.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Anita C

Kendall Park, NJ
“Three Strikes Your Out”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner there on 10/25/13. We arrived at 6:30 pm. The Restaurant was not that busy but there was a private affair in the banquet room. The dining room has 2 walls of windows. It was evening so I do not know if you would see the lake. The room has no identity. It is not decorated at all. There was pocket lighting, and nothing hanging on the other walls. The service was quick & attentive. The bread was a little warm, but very dry. We ordered the Cold antipasto salad for our appetizer. It was ok, 2 cheeses, red peppers, artichoke hearts, prosutto, and some white beans. It was edible, but nothing spectacular. The garden salad served with dinner was very plain & not pretty. Some greens, 1 cherry tomato, 1 cucumber slice, and a few strands of shredded carrots. For my main course I had the Seafood Fra Diavolo, which is shrimp, mussels, clams & scallops over pasta in a red sauce. The server warned me that it is a spicy dish so I ordered it mild and it was. It was ok. I actually like the Macaroni Grills version much better. My spouse had the Chicken Tarantino which he said was so so. We were going to order dessert but saw a server serving another table so we passed. We saw a piece of pie on a plate, & 2 different kinds of cake on a plate. No whipped cream, chocolate sauce, etc... to make the desserts look special. Putting all that together we will not be returning.

Visited October 2013
“Nice Lake View”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

You can have a sandwich, a burger or a full dinner at Sir John's. We found a great coupon and enjoyed a much-needed upscale, yet casual evening with one other couple this time (yes, we've been here many times before).

The restaurant overlooks a small lake and I requested that we be seated outdoors if possible when I made reservations. When we arrived, the parking lot was nearly full because they were also serving a small wedding party at the restaurant that night. But, no problem with our seating. Outdoors overlooking the lake and far enough from the wedding party's cocktail hour that we were not disturbed by them (also, we and other diners weren't right on top of the wedding party). The evening was perfect for sitting outdoors and the restaurant is on a quiet road, so sitting outdoors turned out to be an excellent choice.

Our server was professional, courteous, knowledgeable and made us feel welcome. The food was very good too, both appetizers and entrees. American fare, well prepared and seasoned and decent portion sizes also. The hot dishes were served hot and everything tasted fresh. But, the Red Sangria was better than good - I recommend it for the perfect summertime meal addition.

The restaurant has a full bar, if you don't like Sangria. Their wine selection is decent and not overpriced.

I recommend Sir Johns. I know I'll be back again.

• Visited August 2013
Monroe, New Jersey
“Beautiful setting”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Sir John's is located on Lake Farrington in North Brunswick, NJ. Sitting outside on the patio and having a cocktail and enjoying the food is a great way to spend a relaxing evening. The restaurant inside is also a great place to dine. The service is friendly and attentive. The prices are reasonable. The food is consistently good. I have been to the restaurant several times and always enjoy my meal. I only gave it a rating of 4 because this last time the food did not seem to be as good as before. My steak, while tender, was not as tasty has it has been in the past. My wife had the crab meat stuffed flounder which seemed to have more "stuff" then crabmeat. I will go back on try it again. Hopefully, this was just one time where things weren't as they usually are.

• Visited May 2013