“Tough sell”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in North Brunswick
Ocean City, Maryland
“Tough sell”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed for two nights while attending a sporting tournament. Dirty - trash in hallways, unkempt floors and carpet. Room smelled like really bad air freshener. Way to pricey for the value - would not recommend unless you have no other option.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CoachDaddy85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at this property with my mother and children on June 30, 2013 for one night. I booked and confirmed my stay through the Choice Hotels toll free number and it was confirmed before 4 pm that day. I did not arrive until midnight, and was greeted by Landy at the front desk. I informed him of the reservation for one king/one queen bed, as booked. He informed me that this configuration was not available and he offered me a room with two doubles. He told me the room I booked wasn't clean, and housekeeping left at 8 pm. I insisted that he find me a suitable room, as I had already paid for it, and he said he would send his friend behind the desk, who does not work at the hotel, he informed me, to check and see if the room was indeed dirty or ready for occupancy.

His friend returned and said the room was indeed clean, and we checked in to room 119. This took a half hour, and my kids fell asleep in the car and had to be carried in. Upon opening the door, it was clear the room was not fully ready. There were no blankets/bedspreads on the beds, and the deadbolt did not lock. There was no battery in the smoke detector. I tried to call the front desk, but the phone in the room was dead. I walked back to the front desk to inform Landy of the state of the room. He said he could not leave the desk, but again sent his friend to provide bedding, and I became housekeeping, making up the room myself. I could not move my kids again, so we stayed in the room that night. I asked him for a business card for the hotel and he said there are none, as this is a new Clarion hotel and they haven't been printed yet.

In the morning, I went to the breakfast area first. There was no standard Clarion breakfast provided. No waffle maker, yogurts, no bacon/sausage, no bananas or apples or even lids for the takeaway coffee. Juice was only provided in large unrefrigerated pitchers (other properties have sanitary juice dispensers). Instead, there was Indian curried rice, spicy Indian potatoes, and Indian tea. In fact, the entire hotel smells like curry, and it appears this hotel caters to this ethnic group, rather than comply with the standardization that is promoted on the Choice Hotels website. When asked about the breakfast, we were told the General Manager was in the hospital and the food order did not get placed. There was nothing my children would eat, so I had to pay to take them out for breakfast after we checked out, when I had anticipated this expense to be covered by my hotel stay (one of the reasons I booked Clarion instead of a more budget property).

The kids were not able to go for a swim while I packed up and checked out, as it is not functioning. The carpets are threadbare, food is not available, rooms are not up to fire code, and the explanation offered by front desk staff is that the hotel is undergoing renovations, as it was previously a Ramada property. This hotel is not ready to be occupied, and given my experience there, I am not willing to stay at Clarion Hotels anymore.

Given the numerous issues with our stay, the desk clerk at checkout made the decision to refund the cost of our stay, that was the least she could do without speaking to the manager, who was set to arrive at 11 a.m. When I arrived home, I realized that I was not credited with points for my stay, which would have qualified me for the Choice Privileges $50 gift card promotion.

Of course, the standard guest satisfaction survey that normally gets emailed out did not arrive. No surprise. I would not stay here if you were considering it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 99Cheryl99

Travelers are raving about these North Brunswick hotels

Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is one of the terrible place to host any event at this location. The worst services I have experience here. Also please beware of Sri lankan event staff will rip you off. The food was horrible, the whole event wedding and reception event was spoil. Advise to other customer, please don't host any wedding at this location, it not worth spending single dollar at this location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rocky46410
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 17, 2013

we were looking for a value for money hotel during our trip.stayed here for 2 nights. we were a group of 11 people including senior citizens.hotel has wheel chair facility. rooms are spacious and comfortable. continental breakfast was good.indian dinner was not that great. couple of departmental stores are right down the street. overall we were satisfied.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Villa Rica, Georgia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

i had originally always stayed at the Hampton inn and i decided to stay at this Ramada because it was on my route. The owner was a real nice guy and always easy to work with, he used to have some sweet girls working for him too. i stayed twice a week until recently when i had a run in with the older lady the owner left in "charge" while he was gone. while she has been in charge everytime i come in there she constantly has her baby or grandbaby up front crying and screaming crawling up and down the hall way, the place now stinks of baby diapers and you can barely understand her because she speaks very poor english. Needless to say i am now happily back at the Hampton inn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel is ok and as per price it is not upto the standard. The only good thing is that it closer to Walmart and TGIs. The service is average only and there no good or special in the room. The wifi was provided.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hotel is ok! No Fridge - No Microwave, No Security Lock. Ok for 1-2 night stay. If i have to stay longer then i like to go for Hampton Inn North Brunswick since price i not much difference vs better quality. Ramada Inn charged me $99 per night vs Hampton Inn North Brunswick rate is $125 per night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Staybridge Suites North Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hilton East Brunswick Hotel & Executive Meeting Center

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!