“Kitschy Italian” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
nyc
“Kitschy Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Homemade Italian food in a setting where everything is for sale. Lots of antiques to look at as you eat. Mama de Palma started this and it continues with great pastas, veal dishes and you can bring your own wine, which is a great plus. Great local place to visit!

Visited September 2013

new york city
“Yummy comfort food....fun atmosphere filled with antiques & vintage items”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Need to revisit your childhood memories of the quintessential southern Italian family restaurant? Consider Di Palma! Great food, take-home sized portions, fun ambiance. Each dish is prepared to order...so quick in and out service is not their forte. You will not be disappointed.

Noting prior reviews...Yes, parking is limited on Saturday night, but what good restaurant in an urban setting isn't?

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lovetravelling0820
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
“Unique with antiques.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was one of the more unique places I've dined at. Not a bad thing, just different.

Parking first off is not plentiful. We parked across the street in a closed store lot. I'm not sure if there other spots near that patrons could park. I didn't nor inquire about it.

They're open from Tues-Sundays. Closed on Mondays. Lunch from noon till 3pm. Dinner 5pm-10pm during the week & 1:30 to 10pm on weekends.

What made this so unique is that the restaurant is also an antique store with items throughout that you can actually purchase. As one contributor mentioned eclectic in it's setting.

We made reservations because there were 6 of us & were seated within a few minutes of walking in.

It's a BYOB so my friends brought their choices of wine & a staff member opened it for us.

We didn't order any appetizers because they serve you bread along with a salad with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing & a plate of bruschetta. All were very good.

Appetizers for those interested start off at this posting from $7.95 to $19.95 for the fresh seafood salad. Main courses start around $16 to $26 roughly.

The portions were huge. They offer extra plate sharing for an extra $5.00 per person.

My one friend ordered the seafood salad app as a meal & couldn't finish it. It had shrimp, mussels, clams, calamari & arugula, olive oil, herbs & lemon. There were lots of seafood for sure.

I had the Italian style meatloaf which came out as two large what could easily be a pound - pound & a half loaves. They were stuffed with mushrooms & mozzarella & covered with tomato sauce. You had a choice of 3 pasta sides. I ordered the penne. You also have a choice of linguini & something else. Sorry I forgot. At any rate I enjoyed my meal. We all did actually. I finished about 2/3 of the first meatloaf & a little over half my pasta. No way could I finish all. Which I never do. Our waiter told me he's never seen anyone finish everything.

I also ordered a soft drink which costs $2.25. (which was the same price for coffee & espresso I noticed) They bring you a glass with ice & a lemon & the soda can for you to open & pour.

They appear to have a decent dessert menu as well. Saw they had cannoli both regular & chocolate covered, cheesecake, tiramisu that I could see. Looked like the range was from $2.95 to 6.95. None of us ordered any because we were genuinely full from everything. Most of us wound up taking a doggie bag home.

Service wise it was about average. The servers themselves were friendly, however some of our orders took a bit longer to get & the servers mixed up who got what several times.

I liked the fact though that we didn't feel rushed to eat. Even though it was a Friday night & the place was full from what I could see. Nothing worse than feeling like you're being herded in & out.

Overall the food was enjoyable & at the end of the day that's what it's all about. Enjoying a good meal with good friends.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank QuentB
West New York, New Jersey
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The food was amazing and the atmosphere was fun! A little bit of Italy in an antique shop! Once you find it and parking it is totally worth it! BYOB!

Visited October 2013
Connecticut
“AS CLOSE TO ITALY YOU CAN GET...WITHOUT BEING THERE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

An unbelievably great evening. The atmosphere is superb...eclectic...unique and comfortable. The service is unhurried and professional. The food is outrageously good.

There were five of us in our group. We ordered platters of calamari and deep fried fennel (a special that evening) for our appetizer. For the "primi" we shared a Spinach Pasta dish in which the pasta was stuffed with ricotta cheese and Cavatelli with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe.

Some Tiramisu and a complementary selection of pastries finished the evenings dining enjoyment.

We left, fully satisfied and look forward to a return visit.

• Visited April 2013