“Just be aware & careful”

Howard Johnson North Bergen
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in North Bergen
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel did not take away the stress of traveling to Manhattan as we wanted it to. First, the hotel isn't in the best area. NOT to say I felt unsafe, but I am not so sure about the area, could definitely be cleaned up. We arrived around 9pm. The woman at the front desk was nice and helpful. At this point we found out the shuttle ONLY leaves the hotel at 3 different times in the morning (starting at 6 I believe) and leaves Manhattan to come back to the hotel 3 different times (starting at 8pm) By reading the reviews before, I was under the impression that I could get a shuttle back midday. Asked the driver and there was no negotiating. There were no instructions as to what to do if you can't get the shuttle. I read in the reviews about a bus going by, but had no information on where that dropped off, or where to get on. That would have been helpful. Also would have been helpful to know that taxis do not have to take you to New Jersey, and if they do, they will most likely charge you a bundle. This information should have been more readily available. The room was average, seemed clean. Definitely a smaller room, but for a one night stay it was manageable. The beds were not comfortable. We did take the shuttle to the city in the morning and ended up getting a taxi back, which got lost.

Room Tip: There are 3 buildings..we were in the building closest to the road (presumably the cheapest). But, c...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 27, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 19, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Chaitali G, General Manager at Howard Johnson North Bergen, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you choose this hotel you are obviously trying to stay in the area on a budget. My mother and I had reservations for August 24th - 27th 2013. We decided to leave home early and go stay an extra night there. We called on the way there to see if there were any rooms available but could not understand the person who answered the phone. Finally we got a yes out of the person so we knew we were ok to go there a day early. Once we got to the office, not sure if it was the same girl at the desk who answered the phone, but was trying to explain we already made reservations but we came a day early, so we wanted to pay for an extra night. It took about 20 minutes of hand gestures and repeating myself to get it all worked out. When we rent to our room (right behind the office) we noticed it was 1 king size bed instead of 2 queen beds. That room smelled and just looked dirty and not up to date. Once I went back to the office showed on the reservation where it was supposed to be 2 queen beds we were finally given the keys to a room at the top of the hill. This room was a lot nicer (not great but you get what you pay for). It was twice the size of the King bedroom and had a half divider wall between the 2 beds. Since I go on a lot of trips with my mom, I loved the divider wall, which all hotels had them. We checked the beds over really good for cleanliness and they looked good. My mom did find a "private" hair in the shower that totally freaked her out. The office smelled of some type of foreign food (someone else said curry, but I never smelt curry and don't want to assume because of race). The smell made it hard for me to eat breakfast in the breakfast area. I did LOVE the van to and from NYC. I could not imagine trying to drive in NYC or even find a way to get over there and back. I totally believe you get what you pay for and this place was ok for the price. I do believe if you are going to have customer service in America you should be able to speak English very very clearly.

Room Tip: Do not get a room that is attached to the office. We got put in one of those first and it looked rea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#8 of 14 in Jersey City
Meadowlands River Inn
Meadowlands River Inn
#2 of 15 in Secaucus

Been to Howard Johnson North Bergen? Share your experiences!