“Believe what you read in the negative reviews of this property! BUYER BEWARE!”

Howard Johnson North Bergen
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in North Bergen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I found this hotel to be a real treasure that offers excellent, clean, comfortable and affordable accommodation just minutes from the Lincoln tunnel making access to the splendours of Manhattan fast and easy either by car or shuttle bus. We also found all of the staff to be extremely pleasant and helpful with quick attention to any special request. A simple but totally satisfying breakfast is provided and makes for a nice way to start the day. We found that all of our WiFi devices worked flawlessly because of the excellent internet services provided. We have recommended this hotel to several of our friends and they have all been equally satisfied. An excellent value!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chaitali G, General Manager at Howard Johnson North Bergen, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Frank C,

My name is Chaitali Gandhi the general manager at the hotel. I am very pleased at your comments about our hotel considering that you were very pleased with the staff, breakfast, the shuttle, the rooms, sleep quality, comfort level, Wi-Fi, location, and the overall value that we provide. We do our best every day to make the best for our guests and guests like you are very much appreciated. Once again thank you for the excellent remarks as we continue to improve our service everyday.Go Happy Go Hojo !

Sterling
Reviewed April 25, 2013

After booking a really cheap rate on line by accident, I ventured to upgrade the room to a Jacuzzi room. It turned out they only have one. It was big enough for two, but took up a lot of space in the room.

We didn't get a chance to take their shuttle service, as we missed the last one of the afternoon, so we had to drive to Journal Square to take the MTA to NY. That wasn't bad since it worked out.

The building setup is odd...different in an interesting way. The TV was nice, but the bed was uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Chaitali G, General Manager at Howard Johnson North Bergen, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Tiffani F,

My name is Chaitali Gandhi, General Manager of this hotel, and I would like to explain and thank you on the review you have posted as it help us to improve a lot. I understand that the jacuzzi rooms might have been small due to the jacuzzi itself but we are trying our best to provide the best value for our guests. I would like to apologize that you missed the shuttle to NYC and you had to take the public transportation as we are in the process of extending the hours availible to take the shuttle for our guests. You also mentioned that the bed was not comfortable and very bad for your precious sleep, we have ordered new batches of the matress and will be replaced very soon. Please forgive us on the mistakes as we try to improve everyday. Once again thank you for the review. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2013

to spend Easter holiday my family and me decided to head NYC and booked this hotel for our stay and what a disappointment. We checked in and check out in a matter of 10 minutes. Old and broken furniture and bathroom mirror. Mold in the bathroom. Dirty carpet and bed sheets; and when we took the complaints to manager, we were confronted with a rude and defiant attitude.
we moved to Marriott courtyard. This hotel needs major overhaul.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vanessa V,

Hello my name is Chaitali Gandhi, the general manager at this hotel, and would like to deeply apologize for the mistakes in the room. I see that the complaints from you mostly focused on the furniture damage and the unclean room itself as well as the doors that needed to be more secure however we are doing our very best to fix our rooms in every way possible so that all amenities for our guests are ready for use. The security around the property is something that should be of no concern Ms. Vanessa V because our property is under complete 24 hour survellance and should be of no major issue. Again I would like to apologize behalf my staff and we will improve our rooms anyway possible as fast as possible, since we are in the process of redoing them. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel is pretty worn out. The old and dirty carpets leave a very poor first impression. Fortunately, to the credit of the staff, the linens and bathrooms are very clean.
The wifi (hotel wide) as well as the free parking are a bonus. The breakfast, although not exciting, is convenient.
I stayed in the lower (motel-like) part of the hotel. This was very convenient, as I had my own car. However, I would not recommend this hotel if you are not driving.
The walls are not terribly sound-proof. You will most likely hear a lot of what's going on next door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ramada Jersey City
Ramada Jersey City
#8 of 14 in Jersey City
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands

Been to Howard Johnson North Bergen? Share your experiences!