“Great Cuban Food”

Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Rumba Cubana has a good variety of dishes, and when I surveyed other people's plates, they all looked as amazing as what I ordered. I loved that they give a good portion and their prices are reasonable for the caliber of food they offer. I haven't had authentic Cuban food, but from what people tell me, they come close. Rumba Cubana definitely doesn't disappoint.

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Service was great , I haven't taste such a good Vaca frita since I was in Cuba, loved it definitely I'll keep coming back!!!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The food was very good the staff was very polite and fast on any request made of. I will go back thanks so much!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I went to Rumba Cubana in 2013 and loved it, but now I wonder whether the fact I was with Cubans helped. I took a friend to the new location in Guttenberg after raving about the restaurant. The new site is very attractive and even busier than the old one. There's valet parking next door for $5, a big improvement from the old site. I couldn't find handicapped access so we had to climb the stairs slowly to get to the restaurant which is one flight up but maybe I missed it. The menu is still very reasonably priced, and I think the food is still very good. But the service really had me angry. They were clearly trying to turn over the tables quickly and rushing us. Maybe if I spoke Spanish I could have communicated that we did not want to be rushed. We were having sangria and eating our appetizers when they brought dinner so we told them we were still eating our appetizers. 5 minutes later they brought the meals again. Then we were eating our meals when two different waiters tried to take them away when we put our forks down (not in the end of meal position). That happened twice as well. I finally gave up and had them wrap the rest of our meals. We didn't stay for coffee with that kind of "get them in and out quickly" attitude. We went elsewhere for coffee and dessert. Since I was taking my friend out for her birthday and had recommended it so highly, I was a little embarrassed.This was a Thursday night. I would try it one more time but only if I'm with someone who speaks Spanish and tells them we want a leisurely meal. It's too far for a quick takeout but that is one way to get the food and eat it without being rushed. Please note we're talking about maybe an hour to an hour and a half; we weren't sitting there for an inappropriate amount of time. Just writing this makes me relive my annoyance with them.

2  Thank CyprusMama
Reviewed July 7, 2014

When I wrote a review for another Cuban restaurant, I mentioned that similar cuisine could be found a few miles way, for way cheaper. Rumba Cubana is one of these restaurants that I was alluding to, even though I had not known it existed at the time.

I'm using to eating on the streets of Bergenline Avenue for tasty Latino food (Columbian, Argentinian, Cuban - you name it). Rumba Cubana is the perfect mix of my favorite elements of Bergenline, plus some added extras - delicious food at a reasonable price, plus the bonus of a beautiful restaurant and full bar. No understated bodegas here.

The restaurant itself is beautiful, and the view of NYC, while not panoramic, is lovely.

Whether you're a regular Cuban eater or new to the food, there's something on the menu for everyone. You'll see classic sandwiches like Pan con Bistec, skirt steak, grilled chicken, empanadas, and yucca fries. All are appropriately priced, by the way.

I went with a group for lunch and we were seated immediately. All of us had questions and specifications to our orders. The staff answered our questions, but wouldn't bend with some of the substitutions. Other than they, the staff wasn't super eager to please, but they did bring our food and let us sit there and talk.

I ordered the Bistec de Palomilla - a thin, tender cut of steak with caramelized onions. It's served simply, with lime. It was excellent. The rice alongside was the kid that had that nice salty bite to it. I ordered a mojito as a drink, and it was STRONG! It was also served with authentic sugar cane, which both looks and tastes impressive.

All around the table, the ladies were impressed with their food. For six people - that is, food, drinks, tax, and tip - it a hair over $100.00.

Talk about a steal. I'm dying to go back to this place.