“Fantastic view, great food, but the service?”

Waterside Restaurant and Catering
Reserve with OpenTable
Waterside Restaurant and Catering is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 94 Restaurants in North Bergen
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Fantastic view, great food, but the service?”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

First of all, let me say that I love this place and I have been going there for years. You can't beat the view of the Manhattan skyline, especially from the outdoor terrace, which is where I had lunch today. I don't usually go out for lunch alone, but today was an exception. The first problem was the waiter calling me "honey". I'm not a snob, but I do think that's a bit rude. He kept on doing it every time he came to my table. It became a bit annoying. When he told me the specials, he said he wouldn't bother telling me the special appetizer because "it would be far too big for me, and I wouldn't be able to eat it all"! (Have I somehow become 8 years old again? Is he my Father)? Anyway, he left me to look at the menu and when he came back I ordered the caesar salad with added shrimp and also the colossal crabmeat cocktail (yes I decided to treat myself). The lunch was delicious, but I noticed he was not paying much attention to me or any of the other customers. One poor frustrated guy had to actually get up and wave his arms around several times to get service (our waiter was watching TV and chatting with the bartender)! I declined the dessert, but ordered a coffee. It never arrived! He brought my check and the coffee was on the bill ($2.95). I pointed out that I never had the coffee and he said "sorry about that, it's just an incredibly busy lunch today". Looking around, I saw only 5 tables were occupied. Not very busy in my opinion. Anyway, I told him not to bother about the coffee because I had to leave. He gave me a sarcastic look and walked away. OK then! Would I go back? Yes, I probably would because my good experiences at this place do far outweigh the bad. Just a thought:- maybe the Waterside should train their wait-staff a little better. It's a shame that such a great place should be let down by bad service.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank njhounds

North bergen
“The view, the food..... Perfection!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I visited Waterside today for brunch and couldn't wait to write a review. I came for a bridal shower and will definitely return. I was convinced as soon as I got my food that the host must have been paying a great deal for my plate because the amount of food and quality was amazing. Nevermind my mimosa! Yum! We sat in a room with a view of upper Manhattan. So pretty and peaceful. They have a jazz guitarist which was nice. I had an amazing omelette which was prepared fresh in front of me. Egg whites with tomato spinach and cheese! ( they have regular or.egg whites). I made a detour on my way back to the table.to ask about the brunch. $35 per person and the drink is included. That's a steal for the amount of food I managed to eat in the 3 hrs I was there. I plan to come back soon with my two kids and husband! Hopefully it'll still be warm enough to sit outside! Bravo waterside!

New York City, New York
“Please stay away!!!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I usually don't write reviews but, I really need to warn people to stay away from this restaurant. I just wish there is a negative star rating. They should get negative 5 stars. This is how much I am frustrated and angry about their service and food.

First of all, the Sunday brunch is a joke. They charge $35 for food that looks like left overs from the night before. The seafood was not fresh. The clam smelled and tasted like it was rotten.

Their service was even worse. The waiter wrongly charged a full price for our two children and LIED when I asked if there was a children brunch price. He said there is no kid brunch price. Total lie. On the way out, my wife asked the reception desk and was told kids under 12 pay half price.

It gets real interesting when the manager shows up and says your card is already charged for full price and there isn't much they can do and refused to refund the difference. Another big lie. He just didn't want to redo the transaction. He was talking down to my wife as though we are the ones who created the problem. I really felt like recording his words because the tone of his voice was so nasty and humiliating. How on earth can a restaurant manager treat customers this way. I felt humiliated to hear things like "it's your fault to sign the card if the price was not right" and "I will give you a few dollars if you leave now" This is outrageous.
I wish I asked his name because I would post it here so, no other restaurant would make a mistake of hiring him.

In my 40 years of my life, this is by far the worst restaurant experience ever. I really hope everyone who is thinking to go here read my review and stay away. A restaurant like this should not exist.

PLEASE PLEASE STAY AWAY!!!!

• Visited September 2012
7 Thank misopa
Edgewater, New Jersey
“View was great but that is about it!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I brought my boyfriend there for his birthday this past Saturday night and was very dissapointed. The view was great, but we were ignored by the waitstaff, and sat there while others were served and we did not order anything that took that long I had lamb chops & he had Salmon. Then they came by & put silverware right on the dirty table w/o giving us fresh silverware in a new napkin. The food was ok I had some green bean mush under the lamb that I could not eat. At least the birthday boys meal seemed better.We then sat there after our meal for quite a long time till we could find our waiter to get the check. I hope they read this & try to improve. I would go back only to sit outside at the bar, but that is it.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank dfly03
NYC
“A gem on the Hudson!!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Have been he many times and each time it continues to amaze me. Breathtaking skyline views and fabulous dinner!! Everything is great here, the tuna tartar is Absolutly delicious - best i've had, And the Risotto is amazing.
This place is a must...
Welcoming outdoor setup that has couches and tables with a great bar. It is perfect for a romantic dining experience and large groups.
Service is great - nice, attentive, knowledgable professionals.

They also have the best brunch in the area, can't stay away from this place on Sundays! Elaborate display of breakfast and pasta stations - delicious food. Their shrimp cocktail is also one to brag about.

This place is worth It, must try!