“Great Value. Shuttle a little rough.”

Super 8 North Bergen NJ/NYC Area
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in North Bergen
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Value. Shuttle a little rough.”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is a great value and clean. Only 10-15 minutes away from Manhattan via the $3.00 shuttle. The shuttle picks you up right in front on the way to Manhattan but on the way back it leaves you approximately 1/4 mile away on the backside of a Toys r Us.. The walk is less than 5 minutes but at night a little dark and scary. There is a Sonic drive in between,still a little dark on the way back to hotel. The shuttle is an amazing value at 3.00. Taxi is about $40.00. The actual shuttle buses are rough and dirty. You ride with the locals. Mostly spanish speakers. If there was a better shuttle option this would have been a 5 star value on a 2 star budget.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abel m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Liverpool
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Booked here due to ridiculously high prices in Manhattan and believe we made the right choice. Shuttle buses work a treat to and from Port Authority bus station (although try to avoid evening rush hour). Rooms are up to 3 star standard with a safety deposit box a big plus. It is a motel so you enter your rooms from outside. Breakfast ok considering very few places include it in the price. The breakfast room is incredibly small though. Overall, I would recommend and the view if Manhattan from New Jersey is simply breathtaking!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Redjim1892
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have worked in customer service/management for over 15 years and never have I been treated so poorly or seen a staff so rude and condescending. My wife and I chose this hotel because of its proximity to downtown NYC. That being said, its closeness to Manhattan was its only positive quality. When we arrived late on a Thurs evening to check in I was told they could not locate my reservation. Fortunately, I have learned to be prepared while traveling so I brought in my printed confirmation from the car. After looking this over the front desk clerk proceeded to tell me my reservation had been cancelled earlier that day because they tried to pre-charge my credit card for my stay and the card wouldn't authorize. I thought this was odd because I had just used my card to rent a car and had no problems, so I asked him to verify the card #. The information he gave me did NOT match my information. Furthermore, I had also reserved a non-smoking room and the room he claimed they had for me was smoking. He also had no record of my Wyndham Rewards #. He acted like he was doing me a huge favor by getting me a room for ONE night (my reservation had been for TWO) at a much HIGHER RATE and said the manager could probably fix the situation when she came in the morning. My wife and I proceeded to our room which was barely large enough to contain the bed and small endtables. In an effort to make it seem bigger, one wall had been covered by a floor length mirror. The room smelled musty and kind of dank. The next morning my wife and I went down to the breakfast area which was a small room (8' x 12'). About 20 people were crammed in this small space holding their food and drink while eating their food prison-style. There was only enough sitting area for six people (and these spots were full) but no one left this area even to step outside the front door because of large signs posted by the hotel which said NO FOOD IS ALLOWED TO LEAVE THIS AREA. So we stood in this small, hot, smelly room just like everyone else and tried to enjoy our breakfast but that wasn't possible. Back to the matter of our reservation, I came back down to the lobby about 20 minutes later to speak with the manager but was told she was on a phone call. I spoke with the front desk clerk - Bridget - who asked what I wanted and after listening to my situation she told me no one would be able to fix my rate (or honor my reservation) but if I was willing to make another reservation right then and there she could get me in for one more night at an EVEN HIGHER RATE! At this point I walked down the block and checked rates at several nearby hotels and was able to make a reservation for less money at a much nicer hotel. After coming back to the Super 8 I was finally able to speak with the manager - Krystal. She listened to my story and proceeded to tell me the same thing as Bridget. There was never an admission of a mistake, no apology, and no attempt to adjust my rate from the night before. When I asked for her boss she told me that they do not handle customer complaints at the local level and if I wanted to pursue this matter further I must contact Super 8's customer care line. I can't stress enough to anyone who reads this, DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL!! Whether your stay is personal, business, or otherwise it will ruin your trip. Travelers beware!!!!!! :-(

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel - it does not live up to Super 8's normal standards! However, if this...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Barry K

Travelers are raving about these North Bergen hotels

BARBING
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Sorry, but my english is very poor. I can only a little bit speak english. I come from Germany an it is difficult for me, to find the right words for this review. But i has benn more times in USA. Last week I was in the southwes of USA (California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona) and I was visiting different motels. Your Super8 ind North Bergen was the best Super8, what I ever have visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

2 Thank GERHARD S
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I would never recommend this hotel. The staff is rude and unaccommodating. I did not stay at this hotel, but my car was on the verge of breaking down on the approach to the Lincoln Tunnel and I had to do an emergency pulloff - this hotel was the only place for me to park while I waited for emergency assistance. I spoke with their front desk manager and he refused to let me park in their parking lot - even though it was 30% filled and 6 pm on a Sunday night. Instead of helping - or at the least letting me PARK while I waited for a tow truck - he threatened to tow and impound my vehicle if I did not move it.

This type of behavior is not only bad business, it's bad values. If this is how they treat someone in need, it says very little about them as people -let alone proprietors of a hotel.

I would never support a business that treats people like this - and I hope whomever reads this review feels the same way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Brendan M
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Visiting NYC can be expensive because of the cost of hotels. This hotel proves it doesn't have to be. We were reluctant to stay in New Jersey while visiting NYC but friends convinced us to give the Super 8 a try. The hotel was clean, the breakfast was adequate and the price was great. In 5 days of traveling on the $3 shuttle bus we never waited more than a minute. A good deal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Algonquin4
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was struggling to find a cheap hotel in the city at short notice. There is a bus service all day which stops right outside this hotel and goes into Manhattan for a very small cost. Basic hotel, cleanliness ok and beds are comfortable. For the price....I was very satisfied.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Meadowlands River Inn
Meadowlands River Inn
#3 of 15 in Secaucus
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands

Been to Super 8 North Bergen NJ/NYC Area? Share your experiences!