“A breath of fresh air at Normandy Beach”

Crabby Rick's Shore Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
New York City, New York
“A breath of fresh air at Normandy Beach”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was pleasantly suprised by the great little crab shack that opened in May of last summer. It is a welcome addition to the Jersey Shore especially in the Lavallette area. Conveniently located a block from the ocean and right on route 35. The chillded shrimp are delicious, plump and cooked to perfection and the crab balls have a crispy panko coating and moist fresh crab inside. The curry mayo is a welcome addition. NO skimping on the quality here. The staff is warm and congenial and eager to please. If you are lucky the owner's adorable son will serve you your food. I can't wait for next summer to enjoy the shore and hopefully watch this beautiful part of the Northeast rebuild.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Foodie60763

NJ
“There's more than just lobster in that "lobster" roll, unfortunately”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Beautiful little property with a bright paint job prominently displaying a banner with the 2012 Star Ledger "Best" rating. Visited in August during our annual week down the shore. As I ordered my lobster roll and fish-n-chips, I got a prime view of the kitchen and was surprised to see one of the cooks opening large packages of sea legs (imitation crab meat). I saw menu items claiming crab, but no mention of the imitation variety.

I watched from the side window as they prepared our food with their bare hands. I saw another review by a person claiming this to be an issue and that they should wear gloves. Really? C'mon, man! Ever been to a real eatery? This is not a cheap national sandwich chain with subpar deli meats or some unhealthy processed fast food joint. Most food in this country is prepared without gloves.

In any event, I got the order to go. The batter-fried fish was pretty good, but they were served with fries rather than "chips" in true British/Irish fashion. The lobster roll, however, was disappointing. I have never had a lobster roll with filler until this day. All my experiences throughout New England and in NYC have been ALL lobster meat with either a light mayo dressing or hot with butter. This "lobster" roll was, believe it or not, 30%-40% SEA LEGS that flaked apart. Unbelievable, especially at those prices! The roll was also locally sourced (kudos for supporting local bakeries), but it was heavy and toasted with garlic which detracted from what should have been the highlight, the lobster.

Words to the wise. If you think you're going to get fresh seafood here, be on guard. Freshly prepared is not the same as fresh. If you are expecting real crab meat, be ready for the imitation processed version as they buy sea legs in bulk here.

Although convenient to our summer beach house rental, I will not try this place again until the quality is improved and I see testament to that in these reviews.

• Visited August 2012
Easton, PA
“Good Food Poor Sanitation”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My first vist here was on this past Friday night. This is not a "sit down" restaurant as we know it. You place an order and pick up at a different window and either eat at the few tables and picnic benches outside or take it home. I placed my order with a lovely and lively teenage girl and then went to the area where you pick up your order. You can view the cook and staff preparing you food and that's where the trouble began.Of the five people I saw handling my order, and many other orders as well, only one had on a hat and all the others had neither a hat nor gloves. All of these people were handling various food orders, with their bare hands, with no regard for basic sanitation . During the food preparation they were pushing their hair back from their forerhead and wiping their brow and then handling the food. Since I had already driven three hours when I ordered I took my chances and ate it anyway when I got to my destination and hoped that the heat killed the germs. I never got sick which was somewhat surprising. My recommendation is to go there. If you see the staff without gloves and hair coverings do not order and leave. Where, oh where, is the local health department ?
Bottom line: Friendly personable staff, good casual food, abysmal sanitation.

• Visited July 2012