“Good Alternative To Local Motels”
Review of Wooden Duck B&B

Wooden Duck B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Newton B&B and Inns
Lewisburg, West Virginia
“Good Alternative To Local Motels”
Reviewed September 28, 2007

Room was comfortable, spacious, nicely appointed, and very clean. Very quiet, country setting.
Hosts are professional, accessible, and very helpful. They helped us find a very good restaurant in Newton. Excellent breakfast.

Stayed September 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My husband and I decided to get away from the hustle and bustle of where we are from for a relaxing a peaceful evening. I researched on the New Jersey Tourism website and found the Wooden Duck B&B. I went to college in the area, and my husband grew up in Sussex County so we knew that our stay would be quiet. The B&B is located on a state road where there is a State Park. It was at least 2 miles down the road and then we came across the quant house. We stayed in the "PinTail" room. The Inn Keeper was very nice when we checked in and she showed us the game room and the den area. There were snacks out on the counter and sodas in the fridge. Our room was super clean, with a bed that we had to climb into. ( that was a bit scary:)

We slept with the windows open and it was relaxing and quiet.

We had brekafast early the next morning, I had to work, it was fresh, hot and filling. We can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank merpaul
Franklin, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2007

My wife and I stayed last night (Aug 23rd) and, while we were unaware of the ongoing construction, we heard nothing 'til after 9am and it was occassional nail guns. I can agree the project should have been disclosed, but it wasn't really intrusive. The whole place was spotless and upkept, the staff courteous, professional and engaging without being nosey, the food great (served 8-9:30am), the amenities plentiful. My wife didn't want to leave. We even got 'upgraded' because a multi-night guest requested our reserved room, and we were fine with that. We may not be old hats at B&B visits, but if this is the worst things get, there's nothing to complain about.

• Liked — Proximty to home, cleanliness, comfort
  • Disliked — Leaving it!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jwrAMC
Rhode Island
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Stayed at the Wooden Duck for one night - never again. We were not told that there was an extensive construction project going on when we booked our room 3 days before arrival. We arrived to the noise of hammers, making our hoped for quiet afternoon at the pool impossible. The living room and game room were being utilized for a business meeting. Rather than hole up in our room, we left and returned after 10PM. The next AM we slept through breakfast - it ended at 8:30, but the hammering began at 8:40 so we didn't really have the quiet experience in the morning either. Room was clean, but had an odd smell (cat ??) In any event, we left early. When we checked out, we conveyed our dissatisfaction to the innkeeper who seemed not to care - claimed others had used the pool and who can predict construction timetable. Personally, I think an apology and/or an adjustment of the price might have gone a long way.

Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marymcgol
LuandaTacky, Owner at Wooden Duck B&B, responded to this review, August 23, 2007
The construction is a short term project for the addition of a garage and an improved laundry facility being done to improve the service. All work is done during weekdays from 8:00 to 4:00. The workers are as quiet as they can be and have been complimented on their courtesy. The project is all under roof now and as such the impact of noise, etc. will be minimal.

Boston
Reviewed July 8, 2007

The current proprieters of this well established inn have been the owners for only two years, and it shows.

The husband and wife team did their best to alienate me and my partner with their utmost passive aggression, and in one instance, outright aggression. Certainly I am not expecting red carpet service at a bed and breakfast, but in the very least I expect a warm and welcoming attitude on the part of the owners. Especially at $299 a night, staying in their most opulent room.

I won't recount all the details of this most unpleasant morning where both my partner and I were belittled and made to feel like we were imposing on these people.... Perhaps their demeanor would have been justified if we were the type of guests who were loud, crude and walking around like we own the place. That is furthest from reality. We are both friendly but polite and respectful, always.

All I can say is, the owner apologized at check out for "being harried earlier," but that "our other guests know to stay out of the way when they get coffee in the morning." I could not believe my ears. That is not an apology. We were getting ourselves coffee exactly where we were instructed to from the "tour" we received at check in. Apparently, looking for cream is being a dolt and getting in the way. And I had stood their for less than one minute. "The morning is a busy time, and that's a high traffic area." Well, morning is also when most people enjoy coffee. And you, sir, are the owner and can decide where to have the self serve coffee for your guests. Don't offer an amenity at all if you get upset when guests actually indulge in it where you instructed them to.

As we were leaving, to add insult to injury he intercepted me for my credit card to pay for the additional breakfasts for my mom and dad, which I thought had been covered at checkout. Our total bill came to $366 for what amounted to 18 hours (5 of which were spent at my mother's cottage) and one meal. As some sort of conciliatory gesture, he confided that they had agreed to move the coffee station out of the kitchen... as though that should make up for the fact that he had been a complete jerk. My repeat business does not hinge on where you keep the coffee. It's in your ability to provide a welcoming environment and a friendly atmosphere. Isn't that why most people seek out b&b's over hotels?

But wait, there's more.... They even argued when I asked if we could please vacate the room at 12 instead of 11, so we could go for a walk with my mom before leaving the state. It was a Sunday and there was no one checking in for that room that day. We were eventually "allowed" for noon, but only after once again feeling like were creating just a huge imposition on them.

These people have no common sense—in business, hospitality or otherwise. My mother has three adult children who visit often, but she lives in a very tiny house nearby that cannot accommodate overnight stays. The Wooden Duck Inn could have easily generated *frequent* repeat business from our family, if only they had shown a little more care and respect. Instead, their pettiness, arrogance, and outright rudeness has squelched any possibility of that.

The wife, during our check-in tour, cited that burnout in the bed and breakfast business typically peaks at around five years. It's an odd factoid to share with your guests as they're just getting to know you and your establishment. In the case of this couple, it seems that they have peaked at two.

Next time we're in town, my partner and I will gladly stay at the motel just down the road for 1/3 the price, and none of the humiliation.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank jujujulian
woodenduckinn, Owner at Wooden Duck B&B, responded to this review, October 22, 2008
You may find it strange that we have waited over a year before responding to this review. Well, the guest hit the nail on the head when he wrote that it appeared that we had peaked at two years. We were having a rough time when he and his partner stayed with us because we had recently lost two of our staff members. We had been working non-stop for several weeks and were overworked, overtired, and overstressed that weekend. We were actually considering putting the Wooden Duck back on the market and returning to the relaxed, kicked-back lifestyle we had given up. Over the past year, however, we have learned how to make time for ourselves so that we can enjoy being innkeepers. We apologize that this guest saw us on a bad day, still early on in our learning curve. But we truly believe that if he were to give us another chance, he would have a pleasant stay.
Queens, NY
Reviewed February 16, 2007

We have only high praise for The Wooden Duck! My husband & I stayed there 2 nights for a wedding anniversary getaway. Our room, The Harlequin, was a rare combination of relaxed comfort and beauty, with many amenities. The innkeepers were warm and helpful, the dining room attractive, the food great, common rooms inviting, and grounds/nature very peaceful. I am often easily critical but had absolutely no complaints about this inn. We really enjoyed it and left feeling refreshed and determined to return. Since my husband sometimes shuns B&Bs since they often lack in-room TVs, this place was the perfect blend of romance and technology for us. The deer and colorful birds were a nice surprise too. You will not be dissapointed.

• Liked — fireplace with remote & soaking tub
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NYCoupleQueens
Reviewed February 6, 2007

This is a lovely, clean, modern, well-maintained b&b with charming hosts. I stayed in a standard room in the house, and it was spacious. The bathroom was large too. There was someone in the room next to me, but I did not hear anything. The soundproofing is good. Breakfast was ample, and the birds outside the window were a treat. Overall, a great experience for a very good price. You should note that this is out in the country, so you will have to get in your car if you want to do more than hike. The next time I'm in the area, I'll stay here.

• Stayed February 2007
3 Thank ihopeihelped
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
#2 of 2 in Newton
Residence Inn Mt. Olive at International Trade Center
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Arlington-Rockaway Area
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center

Been to Wooden Duck B&B? Share your experiences!