“Good solid food with a few recommendations.”

Krave Cafe and Caterers
Ranked #3 of 57 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
New Jersey
“Good solid food with a few recommendations.”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I recently went to Krave during Mother's Day weekend. I knew it would be busier then normal, but we were seated right away with a nice table in the front room near the window which I requested ahead of time. The menu offered a lot of different items to choose from. I started off with the charcuterie appetizer for $15. I thought it tasted very good, however for the price I expected the portion to be more adequate. My husband ordered the scallop appetizer for $8. When they brought out his plate, there were 3 "tiny" scallops on his plate. Okay for $8, they should at least give you 4 or 5.

Being it was a bit crowded, we had to wait a while for our main dishes. We didn't mind so much since its a BYOB, we always had our wine glasses full. I ordered the southwestern corvina (fish special) for dinner (which is a light flakey fish). It was very good and served with fresh asparagus. My husband's sirloin was over cooked (he ordered it medium and it was gray inside). My husband had the server take it back and it was rectified quickly with a new sirloin cooked perfectly.

Our overall service was very good and efficient. I would recommend either they up their portions a bit (especially the appetizers) for the price they charge, and/or not charge $15 for a plate of bread (which is the same bread they give you at the table) and paper thin slices of two cured meats. Otherwise this is a good solid choice for a nice night out at a neighboring BYOB.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank NJSusan-7

new jersey
“Great food”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Tucked away in the back of beyond, but truly great food. It's not 'location, location, location, and I wish they'd move to Sparta. Nevertheless, a Sussex County Gem.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank christinedehnel
Newton, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“special event”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

stylish and au-courant you can order exotic specials or the favorites that have been on the menu for years, it is always better than expected!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Louis B
Hackettstown, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lunch was delicious”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stopped in on the spur of the moment on a weekday and thoroughly enjoyed the service and great combinations of flavors in our light lunch. Not fast food. Relaxing and attractive ambiance.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jonathan A
Sparta NJ
“Nice dinner”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Krave is located in a very unatractive strip mall next to a Quick Chek and a vacant store. However, once you enter, you forget what it looks like outside. The interior is very nicely done. The menu is short but with many original dishes using fresh ingredients. The specials of the evening included a very good horseradish-crusted filet mignon and a tasty grouper with rice. The service is prompt and friendly and all around a very good meal at a good price.

• Visited December 2012