“The only chain in the area - and they know it.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 20, 2011

There is nothing wrong with this hotel - it is a typical Holiday Inn Express - but with less of the amenities. It is fairly new, and it meets all the usual standards of HI Express - upgraded bedding, cookies at night, papers and breakfast.

As a frequent traveller I will say it is way overpriced for a HI Express - but that is because their literally is no competition close by. I think at $100.00 a nght it would be fine. But at $140 it is a rip off. I have stayed there 3-4 times a year, and as a Priority club member you would think they would go out of their way to make sure everything is OK. Yet I arrive to find I have been given a small room next to the elevator - which was changed when I went back down and complained. Nothing is outstanding here in relation to other HI Express properties - and they don't have a pool.

As long as it is not winter time, I now stay at the Hampton Inn in Matamoras, PA. Better service and half the price. Hard to tell the difference between these chains anyway. If your business is in the northern part of Sussex County Matamoras is just as close. In winter getting over High Point Mountain can be scary.

At Hampton Inn I feel like they want my business - at this hotel I feel they just want my money. On my most recent trip the wi-fi was out one morning - and they offered no discount. At Hampton Inn they forgot to put toilet paper in the room and gave me a free night!

Reviewed January 20, 2011

I made an Internet reservation for the Holiday Inn Express in Sparta, NJ and tried to cancel it because of an illness and was told the policy is "no refunds whatsoever, for any reason".

This hotel chain would rather grab your cash for an empty room than engender customer loyalty.

I called the main customer service number and spoke to three people over a twenty-five minute period and then was referred to the property. The person on the property re-read the policy to me on the phone and said I should have known about it BEFORE booking there.

Well I know about it now and I intend to tell anyone who will listen to me, "DO NOT TO PATRONIZE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!!!!"

I managed a hotel and customer service and customer loyalty were more important to the property owner than a quick money-grab for an empty bed.

I will never stay in a Holiday Inn Express again!

2  Thank xyz11
Reviewed January 10, 2011

The staff is wonderful! Room's are very clean bed's most comfortable ever..Price was reasonable.This was our second year to stay in January and have been treated great both time's. Staff very helpful in helping us find our way around near(locally) and far (NYC). I do not know all the ladie's name's but all very friendly and helpful. Special kuddo's to Linda Zulus making sure we had everything we needed and were comfortable every time we walked past the front desk also I think the ladie's name is Doreen (took care of the breakfast for us). Food was good and she went out of her way to make sure to speak to us each morning... love the place :)

Reviewed August 28, 2010

Not bad. I don't know what the other choice in the area is but there doesn't seem to be a lot in this area of NJ. I still drove 30 minutes to my meeting.

Checkin
No problems. I showed up around 8 and the front desk clerk was nice but gave bad driving directions.

Room
Its dated. I thought all were supposed to be renovated but this looked to be 15 years old. it wasnt run down just old looking.

Bed
The bed was OK. I do like the fact that HI Expresses give you both firm and soft pillows.

Bathroom
No problems. It was random for my room but it took a lot of force to pull the level to turn on the shower.

Breakfast
Regular breakfast served at all HI express.

TV
It was an old CRT but the picture was fine.

Overall not bad. I'd stay here again for the same meeting. There is an Applebees in the same parking lot and I didn't venture far but it looked like there was enough food choices in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2010

The hotel was average for the Holiday Inn chain of hotels. They were very good about keeping the snow cleared off of the sidewalks and drive areas.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We were planning on going to Bushkill Falls and were having dificulty finding a hotel available close by that didn't cost a fortune or have bad reviews. I settled on Holiday Inn Express in Newton NJ which Hotels.com said was 13.42 miles from Bushkill Falls. I was disappointed when I learned that the distance quoted was as the crow flies and was actually almost an hour away :( , however, I was pleasantly surprised with the courteous, pleasant staff and the nice clean rooms, (which is extremely important to me). I also would like to point out that this hotel is just across the parking lot from an Applebee's that we had dinner at and we found it to be a pleasant experience as well. By the way, the ride to Bushkill Falls was enjoyable as we had the opportunity to take in some scenery on the way which made the ride not seem as long. I would definately stay here again. Managment deserves a pat on the back.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Likes2hike
Reviewed May 4, 2008

I was going to be in the area and was told that their was a Holiday inn so i called them to make reservation a lady by the name of Monica picked up the phone and had quoted me a rate of $129.00 plus taxes. I was travelling and was on a budget of $100.00 so i asked her if there was any thing less costley in the area she told me no there was nothing for another 40 Miles away. so i decided to do an are search and found that their were five other lodging facilities besides the holiday inn in a ten miles radius. I called her back and told her off. People are going to pay what the can afford and will drive a little furthor to find a place. When you lie like that. It shows you are not helpful to customers and you only care about customers that stay with you. I am sorry to say that is a bad image for and establishment. I would not stay at a hotel that only cares about the O Mighty BUCK. where is he helpfullness gone to. THATS A SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank kenny101969
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Econo Lodge
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
#1 of 2 in Matamoras

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta? Share your experiences!