“Old looking place but no problems.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Old looking place but no problems.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Not bad. I don't know what the other choice in the area is but there doesn't seem to be a lot in this area of NJ. I still drove 30 minutes to my meeting.

Checkin
No problems. I showed up around 8 and the front desk clerk was nice but gave bad driving directions.

Room
Its dated. I thought all were supposed to be renovated but this looked to be 15 years old. it wasnt run down just old looking.

Bed
The bed was OK. I do like the fact that HI Expresses give you both firm and soft pillows.

Bathroom
No problems. It was random for my room but it took a lot of force to pull the level to turn on the shower.

Breakfast
Regular breakfast served at all HI express.

TV
It was an old CRT but the picture was fine.

Overall not bad. I'd stay here again for the same meeting. There is an Applebees in the same parking lot and I didn't venture far but it looked like there was enough food choices in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Round Rock, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

The hotel was average for the Holiday Inn chain of hotels. They were very good about keeping the snow cleared off of the sidewalks and drive areas.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Hammonton NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

We were planning on going to Bushkill Falls and were having dificulty finding a hotel available close by that didn't cost a fortune or have bad reviews. I settled on Holiday Inn Express in Newton NJ which Hotels.com said was 13.42 miles from Bushkill Falls. I was disappointed when I learned that the distance quoted was as the crow flies and was actually almost an hour away :( , however, I was pleasantly surprised with the courteous, pleasant staff and the nice clean rooms, (which is extremely important to me). I also would like to point out that this hotel is just across the parking lot from an Applebee's that we had dinner at and we found it to be a pleasant experience as well. By the way, the ride to Bushkill Falls was enjoyable as we had the opportunity to take in some scenery on the way which made the ride not seem as long. I would definately stay here again. Managment deserves a pat on the back.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Did not find alot to do in the immediate area
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Likes2hike
whittier,ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

I was going to be in the area and was told that their was a Holiday inn so i called them to make reservation a lady by the name of Monica picked up the phone and had quoted me a rate of $129.00 plus taxes. I was travelling and was on a budget of $100.00 so i asked her if there was any thing less costley in the area she told me no there was nothing for another 40 Miles away. so i decided to do an are search and found that their were five other lodging facilities besides the holiday inn in a ten miles radius. I called her back and told her off. People are going to pay what the can afford and will drive a little furthor to find a place. When you lie like that. It shows you are not helpful to customers and you only care about customers that stay with you. I am sorry to say that is a bad image for and establishment. I would not stay at a hotel that only cares about the O Mighty BUCK. where is he helpfullness gone to. THATS A SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kenny101969
Connectict
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

We vist relatives often in the Sussex County, NJ area. Believe me when I say there are not many choices. Most are older motels or fancy ski resorts. The Holiday Inn is perfect for us. Easy access to eveything in the area.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. Our room had a refrigerator, microwave and coffemaker. The beds were some of the best we have slept in.
Breakfast was tasty and just what we needed. There are some restaurants ( including a diner ) within a few miles.
Staff was cordial and helpful.

• Liked — Close to family
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank maddiesmom
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

I am having a wedding saturday at a nearby hall in Lafayette and I wanted a nice place for my guests to rest in and sleep in after the reception. I booked 4 rooms at this hotel way back in JANUARY. Online it allowed me to book 4 jacuzzi suites (and charged me for them!) but when I called the hotel directly in MARCH they told me that they actually only have 2 jacuzzi suites and that someone other than myself had the second one! Can you believe that? They said that the other "jacuzzi suites" were just jetted tubs in the bathroom and not realy jacuzzi suites (even though in january I called to make sure, they said they had quite a few jacuzzi suites available). I had a really difficult time communicating with the woman who answered the phone. She was extremely combative and the only option she would offer me was to cancel all the rooms, so I let her. I wanted to make sure that we had enough rooms and that we had them all together so we wouldnt bother the other guests, but this hotel chain doesnt seem to care if you bother other guests. I called Holiday Inn Express guest services at the 800 number and they did little to help the situation (however they did reverse the cancellations). So I called the Wyndham Garden in Mt Olive and for half the price they gave me everything I wanted, with a smile to boot. Needless to say I cancelled all rooms at the Holiday Inn Express. Granted, the wyndham doesnt have jacuzzi suites but their indoor pool is open until 10pm and they have a great bar and restaurant in house that the holiday inn doesnt have so this is a much better choice. This is my second problem with the customer service at the Holiday Inn Express in the past few years, not just Newton, so it must be a training issue with the chain. I WILL SLEEP IN MY CAR BEFORE I EVER SLEEP IN A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS.

• Stayed March 2007
8 Thank muzebiz
Sparta, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

Overview: For Thanksgiving each year, we usually have about 17 relatives over to our house. It has gotten to the point where we cannot accommodate everyone in our home or in the nearby bed and breakfast (the little kids have grown to be big kids!). That being the case, I was pleased to learn that a new hotel was built nearby, just eight miles from us. I was a little disappointed when I found out it was a Holiday Inn Express. Before I booked three rooms there, I went to take a look at it. I was quite surprised. My wife and I asked to look a couple of rooms and management was more than happy to show them to us. This hotel was great! Being brand new, everything is top notch. We booked the rooms and awaited the verdict from my relatives. Their verdict: three thumbs up!

Plusses: Location, location, location. Just fifteen minutes from our home. The hotel is just a few months old and the rooms are spacious and the beds high and comfy (my niece and nephews had to be helped onto the bed). Bathrooms were “luxurious.” The breakfast buffet was a big hit with everyone. There are fast food restaurants a really short drive away and an Appleby’s across the parking lot. The staff was very accommodating when I requested (five days before Thanksgiving) to have all three rooms next to each other.

Minuses: Location isn’t the most scenic. Even though the hotel sits high on a hill, it overlooks a couple of strip malls, supermarkets and a Home Depot.

Conclusion: All in all, we highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express if you need to stay Sussex County, New Jersey. There aren’t many other options, but even if there were, we’d still suggest this hotel. And, the price was right.

• Liked — Location and newness.
  • Tips/Secrets — If in this area, there ar ot many good choices of where to stay. Look at this hotel as your first and best option.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank ENBB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Grand Cascades Lodge
Residence Inn Mt. Olive at International Trade Center
High Point Country Inn
High Point Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Wantage

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta? Share your experiences!