“Near perfect!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I've stayed at the Ritz, Kimpton and Beverly Hills Avalon this year and I like this place better. From the friendly staff and oranges on arrival to the huge clean rooms and free Internet, this hotel gets it right.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I was worried when the only hotel near my client’s site was a Holiday Inn Express, but saw the high ratings and thought I would give it a chance. Boy was I surprised. I am a Platinum member of Marriott, but yet this Holiday Inn Express treated me like I was their top customer. I received a nice smooth check-in, a bag of goodies, and was provided with a large comfortable room. The hotel is new, clean, and looks like quality was in mind when they built the place.
The staff is professional and courteous, and a yummy hot breakfast was included.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We booked a room at this hotel, at the last minute, so we could attend a funeral of a family member. The hotel staff was courteous, offered their condolences and had a sympathy card waiting for us in our room. We were also given a discounted bereavement rate.

We were in a room with two queen-sized beds. The room was a bit dated, but clean. The bed was comfortable. The heating/cooling unit was quiet and kept our room at a comfortable temperature. The TV was a hi-def LG with access to HBO. We also had free access to wired and wireless Internet.

A complimentary continental breakfast is available in the morning....nothing fancy (I would stay away from the scrambled eggs), cereal, fruit, french toast, pancakes (from an interesting pancake machine) and assorted breads, juices and coffee are available.

We will definitely stay here again when we visit family in the future.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My mother was hospitalized and I needed a place to stay. I never realized this experience would linger for three weeks. I have stayed in Holiday Inns in the past and was not as pleased as I was with this hotel. Newton is a small town and since I live in Los Angeles I was amazed by the staff and the room. The people who work here are incredible. No request is too great for them. Not only are they friendly, but efficient as well, and make your stay feel like you are on vacation, in spite of the fact that you are under stress due to a medical emergency. I would recommend this particular hotel to anyone, even if you have to go out of your way to stay here. Helen, Linda, Alicia, Kathy (the best), Nelson and Dan go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied. And if you have a nightmare and come down stairs at three AM they will talk to you until you feel well enough to go back to bed. I can't think of one bad thing to say about this place. Their service and congeniality beats the Waldorf, where I stayed last year. It is immaculate and Lorraine makes the best breakfast. I love these people, who made me feel like family, not just a guest.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and the houskeeping staff is very industrious and polite.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Chersmart
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice now in the last one month and have to say both stays have been excellent. The staff is tie friendly and inviting. The rooms are slightly dated but the two queen beds are comfortable. The TV is and older console with a multitude of cable channels including HBO. There is a small fridge and microwave, in addition to a separate sink outside the bathroom which is nice. If you are thinking about using the sofa bed to sleep in, DON'T. It has a matress that is about an inch thick and is basically like sleeping on a row of springs.
The breakfast in the am is OK, with an assortment of heated foods such as eggs, sausage, buiscits, and some kind of scrapple type mix. Both times I've been there the pancake machine was broken. The best part of the hotel is the fresh baked cookies put out around 3pm are awesome.
There is an applebees that shares an parking lot with the hotel where is you show your hotel car you get a discount on food (not alcohol).
Overall great hotel for the area and will likely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel intermittently for the last several weeks for a trial in Sussex County. I have to say this hotel stands out because the staff is so friendly and accomodating (especially Alicia and Cat and Nelson). We have had to leave our luggage after checking out and its never a problem for anything that we ask for. The breakfast is good especially because its so easy to grab before heading out in the morning. They have happy hour on Wednesdays nights - which is a nice perk. The cookies in the afternoon are a nice touch as well. After all that talk of food - means I have to hit the fitness center! The fitness center only has 4 different machines - but I think its good enough for my needs.

There are no restaurants in the area within walking distance, except for Applebees.

The only downside to this hotel is that there is no shuttle to take you anywhere. It would be a perk for this hotel to have a shuttle to the Courthouse - or at least in that area - so you can enjoy some of the restaurants if you don't have a car with you.

Room Tip: If you want to be woken up by the smells of breakfast cooking, choose a room on the first floor. Bu...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed for 1 night on 9/24/11, to attend a wedding the next morning at Perona Farms. The hotel is pretty much brand new by the looks of it and the surrounding area. I had 2 rooms reserved, both with 1 King bed. We did wait a few minutes to check in (we got there around 10pm) as there was no one at the desk just standing around waiting for our arrival. By the looks of the parking lot, they had already greeted & checked in most of their guests for the evening, and they had a sign up stating that they had stepped away from the desk.

We arrived up to our rooms on the 3rd floor, 318 & 323. I was in 323 with my husband and my friend in the other room. Our room was very large, probably the largest "non-suite" room I've had in awhile. The bed was okay, but I am a little picky because I have a TempurPedic at home. Only 2 negative/awkward things stood out to me. 1) The hotel, although being pretty new, had tube TVs, and not LCD flat panels. That sort of surprised me. 2) The counter height in the bathroom is a little odd, as it's very high up - not a standard height. I'm 5'7", and the counter was above my stomach. It was just a bit awkward to get ready the next morning trying to lean over the deep & generous counter space to do makeup.

Breakfast was alright the next morning, standard Holiday Inn Express fare. Yogurt, bagels, fruit, sausage, omelets type things, cereal and a pancake machine. The pancake machine was actually pretty cool. You pressed a button and a minute later you got 2 fresh pancakes. And they were pretty tasty.

The location was convenient to Perona Farms (about 10 minutes) but my GPS took me a down a weird one lane road, so I am sure it may even be closer than the 10 minutes it took us.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Econo Lodge
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 1 in Hamburg
Holiday Inn Budd Lake-Rockaway Area
Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta? Share your experiences!