“Water shut down and poor service”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was unfortunate to stay here during my trip to NJ. There was no water in the room in the morning and there was no back up in the hotel to manage this. I was forced to go to my business meeting with no shower and the whole trip turned miserable. The restaurant staff also is very slow and doesn't understand service.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Prabu D
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding our water heaters. We’re sorry we didn't provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. We know how important a hot shower is and your comments will help us to improve the situation. We hope you’ll give us another chance and stay at our location again in the future.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Had a confirmed prepaid stay at the hotel but they were overbooked. So were another 50+ customers. The best alternative was Quality Inn in Lynnhurst 25 minutes away. The hotel just keeps taking bookings because the system does not allow confined late arrivals. So much for Hilton being world class.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank briang9480

We’re very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you recently at our hotel. We try to accommodate 100% of our guests, but overbooking situations unfortunately can happen. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenient circumstances.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Arrived at the hotel around 10 p.m. There were a bunch of people in line at registration and only one person working the counter until the bellman called someone else to come. After 10+ minutes, I gave up waiting. Handed my ID to the clerk, asked her to check me in when she could, and I went to the hotel restaurant for dinner. Came back about 45 minutes later, and the line was twice as long as when I left. There were more clerks at the counter, but apparently, they didn't have any clean rooms (OK, my bad for not waiting longer when I first arrived vs. going to the restaurant). Clerks were frustrated. After another 10 minutes, I finally got a room. The room certainly wasn't great...somewhat run down, dated and the air conditioner didn't work well. Nevertheless, I had no interest in trying to switch after what I'd already gone through to get a place to go to sleep.

The one redeeming value was the restaurant/bar. The Cobb salad was excellent and the wait staff was very fast in getting me seated, taking the order and delivering food.

Overall, I wouldn't be inclined to stay here again. I'm sure there are better properties nearby.

1  Thank 4austintx
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We've addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Staff, bar and service in the hotel are very nice. My room was a bit stuffy, requiring that I set the a/c to low to keep the air flowing. The hotel is close to the airport but beware. If you are departing from Terminal B, you have to get off at either A or C and take the air tram to B. that adds at least another 15 minutes. Remember tht if you think you have the extra 15 minutes- you don't. Also the driver is clueless and has no idea as to which airline departs from which terminal so get that ino ahead of time.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I ended up here after missing an connecting flight. I was initially excited, because I love the Doubletree chain, and thought I deserved the trademark cookie after a harrowing day of being subjected to the magic 8 ball that controlled my plane's departure time. NO COOKIE when I got here...perhaps they were out, or perhaps the cookie is yet another casualty of today's austere fiscal environment, but I was disappointed.

DISADVANTAGE: I felt like they nickel-and-dime you to death here. You are charged $1.00 for the first 60 minutes for local calls **to include 800 numbers** and internet is $12.95/24 hrs of use, unless you are a Gold level Hilton Honor's member. Regrettably, I am only Blue. You can, however, use the internet in the business center for free.

WHAT I LIKED: (1) Clean and spacious room, (2) friendly staff, (3) delicious breakfast, and (4) prison-like water pressure in the shower, and (5) Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries, and (6) 24-hour fitness center.

BOTTOM LINE: safe location, excellent/comfortable bed and amenities if your goal is a good night sleep and back to EWR the next day. If you are staying here for more than a day or two, and you don't want to pay extra, then consider some of the other local hotels which do offer free internet, and some even offer free shuttles to Penn Station in Newark if you aim to see some sights.

P.S. This review is being brought to you by the FREE INTERNET in the Doubletree Business Center. I will provide an addendum if I manage to score a cookie before checking out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

All of us here at the DoubleTree By Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our Hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. If you have any comments that you would like us know about, please feel free to contact us directly. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our DoubleTree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The actual stay was nice, however billing and finance put a sour taste in my mouth . My account was over-drawn because I was not expecting my card to be ran for so much. On a positive note the hotel was very clean and the service was excellent . I enjoyed the size of my room and was very comfortable.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

All of us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our TripAdvisor page after your recent stay at our hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us. They let us know if we are achieving our goals in providing the type of service they've come to expect or occasionally on how we can improve upon our service. We realize that you have a choice in hotels when making your plans. Thank you for choosing our DoubleTree Hotel to be your home away from home and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I were visiting New York City for 5 nights, but since our flight arrived late we stayed the first night by the airport to catch some sleep and save some $$ by staying outside Manhattan. I've stayed at airport hotels many times before, so I know the standard. I have even stayed at the Hilton Bora Bora and I would say the service at this hotel was even better. I was really surprised by how great of a stay we had!

First of all, I am Hilton Gold so we used the points + cash booking option, which is actually a pretty good points value (even under the new abysmal Hilton points devaluation). We waited about 10 minutes for the free shuttle to arrive at the airport. Check in was fast and easy.

The rooms are what you'd expect based on the photos. The bed and linens and pillows were incredibly comfortable - I wanted to take the whole bed back home with me! (And we have a tempurpedic, so that's saying something!). Good water pressure, the room was clean, and the air conditioning worked well (although my thermostat said we had it at 48 degrees :-P). Service was all around good, even the housekeeper greeted us warmly - I am used to them ignoring guests as they walk by.

I celebrated a birthday on our trip to NYC, and the DoubleTree Newark Airport gave me hands down the nicest gift from any hospitality industry that I have ever received. I won't spoil the surprise, but it was so sweet, and truly above and beyond anything I could ever expect.

In the morning, I was again pleasantly surprised by the breakfast option. As a gold member, we get free breakfast and it's usally a cattle call and incredibly crowded. The DoubleTree Newark had a 4 star dining experience - white linen table cloths, waiter service, and classical music playing in the background. There was a good breakfast buffet and free cooked-to-order eggs/omlettes.

After breakfast, we caught the NJ Transit 40 bus and then the NJ Tranist 107 bus to Times Square (Port Authority Bus Terminal). The 40 bus costs $1.50 (exact change) and the 107 costs $5.50 (exact change), which is much cheaper than most transportation options. The 40 picks up just a block from the DoubleTree. As you exit the hotel, turn left, walk past the airport parking lot, and then you will see a little circle drive and a white food truck. The 40 picks up there and there is no sign but you are in the right place. You take the 40 one stop to Brewster Road to catch the 107. We were satisfied with the bus option.

Overall, we were extremely pleased with our stay and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple