“A little confusion”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The actual stay was nice, however billing and finance put a sour taste in my mouth . My account was over-drawn because I was not expecting my card to be ran for so much. On a positive note the hotel was very clean and the service was excellent . I enjoyed the size of my room and was very comfortable.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

All of us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our TripAdvisor page after your recent stay at our hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us. They let us know if we are achieving our goals in providing the type of service they've come to expect or occasionally on how we can improve upon our service. We realize that you have a choice in hotels when making your plans. Thank you for choosing our DoubleTree Hotel to be your home away from home and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I were visiting New York City for 5 nights, but since our flight arrived late we stayed the first night by the airport to catch some sleep and save some $$ by staying outside Manhattan. I've stayed at airport hotels many times before, so I know the standard. I have even stayed at the Hilton Bora Bora and I would say the service at this hotel was even better. I was really surprised by how great of a stay we had!

First of all, I am Hilton Gold so we used the points + cash booking option, which is actually a pretty good points value (even under the new abysmal Hilton points devaluation). We waited about 10 minutes for the free shuttle to arrive at the airport. Check in was fast and easy.

The rooms are what you'd expect based on the photos. The bed and linens and pillows were incredibly comfortable - I wanted to take the whole bed back home with me! (And we have a tempurpedic, so that's saying something!). Good water pressure, the room was clean, and the air conditioning worked well (although my thermostat said we had it at 48 degrees :-P). Service was all around good, even the housekeeper greeted us warmly - I am used to them ignoring guests as they walk by.

I celebrated a birthday on our trip to NYC, and the DoubleTree Newark Airport gave me hands down the nicest gift from any hospitality industry that I have ever received. I won't spoil the surprise, but it was so sweet, and truly above and beyond anything I could ever expect.

In the morning, I was again pleasantly surprised by the breakfast option. As a gold member, we get free breakfast and it's usally a cattle call and incredibly crowded. The DoubleTree Newark had a 4 star dining experience - white linen table cloths, waiter service, and classical music playing in the background. There was a good breakfast buffet and free cooked-to-order eggs/omlettes.

After breakfast, we caught the NJ Transit 40 bus and then the NJ Tranist 107 bus to Times Square (Port Authority Bus Terminal). The 40 bus costs $1.50 (exact change) and the 107 costs $5.50 (exact change), which is much cheaper than most transportation options. The 40 picks up just a block from the DoubleTree. As you exit the hotel, turn left, walk past the airport parking lot, and then you will see a little circle drive and a white food truck. The 40 picks up there and there is no sign but you are in the right place. You take the 40 one stop to Brewster Road to catch the 107. We were satisfied with the bus option.

Overall, we were extremely pleased with our stay and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abc345345
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

All of us here at the DoubleTree By Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our Hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. If you have any comments that you would like us know about, please feel free to contact us directly. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our DoubleTree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great cafe nest door. It looks like a college hangout, because it is but serves a surprisingly upscale menu. The room I had was brand new with an excellent bathroom mirror that I want in my house. Friendly staff, spotless

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Gonzalo B
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We recognize you have many choices in area hotels and I am extremely grateful that you have selected ours for this stay. We are striving for excellence and for whatever reason you feel that your stay was less than perfect , I would like to hear from you. Please call me directly on my cell phone or send me an email prior to leaving our hotel.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stay here during my tour in the East Coast. They are under renovation but overall the hotel lobby is very spacious and the room are spacious too. Only if they have free wi-fi, it can definitely make my stay even more enjoyable! Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank osaka2010
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We don't need to worry about transportation as it was provided by the hotel. The Driver,Lito, was friendly and the front desk staff were all helpful. My daughter and I stayed overnight, upon checking-in we were given hot chocolate chip cookies and once we're settled in our room, we don't feel like going out anymore because the place is very comfy, clean and spacious. We have the things that we need inside. But still decided to go out for dinner, while waiting for the bus to arrive, we explored the ground floor a bit. There's a souvenir shop, a corner where I can print my itinerary for free and there was a beverage stand with hot apple cider drink for guests to beat the chilly evening, once our bus arrives, we headed New Jersey Mall, the transportation going there was provided by the hotel but going back, I need to pay $9 through the mall reception area. The Mall is huge and a lot of selections of clothes, shoes, food, etc.Going back to the Hotel was easy because the driver gave a brochure showing what time the buses arrive and depart. In the morning, we have breakfast buffet included in our booking and upon passing by the front desk, we're given another cookie! the buffet breakfast has a wide array of food to choose from. there were cereal,fruits, muffins, english breads, cookies, egg cooked the way you like it, sausages,bacons, hashed potates, unlimited juice and coffee,pancakes,toast, etc. If we ever have a trip to NJ again, we will definitely go back to Doubletree by Hilton.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vijaymarie24
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Although the hotel is under renovation (changing from a Sheraton to a DoubleTree), it was exactly right for us. We were spending one night there during a short trip to New York City. Using the airport shuttle and the train to the city worked perfectly.
Room was great, we got a friendly greeting from the manager when we arrived, shuttle (which we used four times) was efficient and on-time, bar was a great place to finish up the evening, and the price was right. And, imagine our surprise when we returned to our room to find a fruit and cheese tray and a bottle of wine (though I did mention we were celebrating my husband's birthday so maybe that was it)! We were in no way VIPs but perhaps management felt that construction downstairs warranted something extra. If the newly-renovated hotel keeps up this standard, it will be quite successful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine S

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had previously stayed at the nearby Hilton, which was much more dated and noisy. The room had some good and bad elements. I liked the king sized bed, which was very comfortable, with nice linens. The room was very large. However, the bathroom was so small that it was a good thing I was traveling by myself. Fortunately, the bathroom was very clean.

I had a room facing towards Newark, instead of towards the airport or into the atrium. The front desk clerk had told me that I was in a room on a floor reserved for Hilton HHonors members. I think I had one of the worst views you could get, as I was right above the mechanical systems for air conditioning and venting for the restaurants and banquet rooms. I should have asked for an atrium room or a room on a floor higher than the 6th.

The only restaurant open for dinner was part of the bar. While the full menu was available, the seating at bar tables had barely enough room for my meal. I felt very squished.

The airport shuttle was offered at 20 minute intervals. While it dropped off at each terminal, the pick up is only at a common pick up area near the end of the airport shuttle train, so you have to take the AirTrain to get to that station.

I still get annoyed that Doubletree doesn't offer their cookies without nuts (for so many of us who are allergic to nuts). It's almost criminal to offer a warm chocolate chip cookie to someone who can't eat it.

Room Tip: While rooms on the back side of the hotel don't face the airport, and may be quieter, the view t...