“noisy place”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed April 3, 2013

we couldn't sleep the whole night, it was super noisy. they played music the whole night and pple were super noisy. poor isolation as result we were unable to sleep the whole night. i will never go back there, poor service. most of employee were nice except one lady who helped in check out, she was mean and impolite! and after a sleepless night, that is the last think you want to deal with.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank George N
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

We’re very sorry for the noise issues you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. Your review will help us correct similar issues in the future and we would like to apologize for the poor level of service you received as well. We hope that the next time you’re in the area, you’ll consider staying with us again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is an airport hotel close to New York !!! Please understand that airport noise and a "certain" New York service and price has to be expected! This said, here's my experience:

Good:
- the shuttle picked me up at EWR after only 5 minutes waiting. Later on, I was told that they run around the clock at least every half hour
- the internet was fast with great reception (as HHonor, I didn't pay, but even the normal rate was pretty good for an airport hotel)
- My room was big and faced away from the airport. I had very little noice!
- I liked both bed (big + many pillows) and shower (a little bit old, but good)
- The fitness center has free weights, which I don't see often. Big PLUS!
- The breakfast buffet was HUGE and really good. A fresh omlette was made just like I wanted and I was served more food than I could eat!
- I was able to leave my suitcases a little bit longer by the front desk
- Late check-out as Hhonor member went well

Improvements:
- Parking! Just to drop off bags requires a parking pass and with multiple entries, this could get expensive. Be aware of this and the front desk will help - they helped me very well!
- Walls are thin! My neighbors were really quite and I could still hear them talking!
- There's nothing around the hotel. Don't expect to run over to McDs for breakfast!
- I had a GPS and found the hotel with ease, with a map though...
- The room set-up was a little strange with the TV towards the corner and a mirror in front of the bed - I would have liked the TV in front of the bed...
- Some things could be renovated, but nothing compared to certain other EWR hotels...
- The fitness center machines were not the newest

Overall, I received a great Hhonors service for a fantastic price (SkyMiles redemption) and for this I have to give the "excellent" mark. Would I have had to pay the regular price without the Hhonors benefits - hmm, I might not rate this hotel so high...

Room Tip: Try to be on the side away from the airport.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank LukiLukeGO
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

All of us here at the DoubleTree By Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our Hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. If you have any comments that you would like us know about, please feel free to contact us directly. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our DoubleTree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so

Reviewed March 20, 2013

After my second stay at this airport hotel, I visited TripAdvisor & was quite surprised by several negative postings. In no way did I experience any of those comments, so I tho't: could this be the same one where I stayed? Remembering my own positive experience, I had no qualms about booking a 3rd & 4th stay (one of which I canceled due to travel changes). On entering the lobby for this stay, I kept an eye & ear open, thinking I might have missed something before.

Not so. Same prompt, cheerful welcome. Same eagerness to make sure my room assignment was what I expected---if not more. In fact, because I arrived before the listed check-in time, my room was not ready (my fault, not theirs) & they offered another room & a lunch voucher "for my trouble." A staff person even walked me to 2 other possible choices, one of which I accepted because I was cold on this blustery afternoon--and hungry.

As with most of my Hilton-brand stays, I have never encountered less-than-perfect cleanliness & readiness in my accommodations at this property. If there were small inconveniences or less-than-expected amenities, barring a full house, there was never anything but a sincere eagerness & effort to offer satisfaction---and with a smile & can-do attitude. This is SERVICE, and unless one uses an expensive, full-scale Waldorf-level amenities as a ruler, SERVICE is what counts most to me! Sometimes rates are a bit higher than I'm used to paying, but that depends on the season, popular nearby events, etc. Nice touch, also, is the courteous, smiling Hello from ALL staff, right down to custodial, maintenance, wait-service, cleaning staff shuttle driver.

Kudos, thanks & a hearty atta-guy, atta-gal to Doubletree, Newark Airport!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the atrium--with balcony if available. Newark Airport is nothing special to lo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jerseygalPrescottAZ

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great service from the moment I walked into the hotel. Smiles all round and very helpful. Rooms are spacious and very clean with very comfortable beds. Had breakfast and found it to be ample, not the most imaginative but fresh and hot. Easy access to airport and just a short 15min train journey to New York City. At $25 round trip it is not bad at all. Best if you want quieter rooms to ask for the rooms above the glass enclosure, as the folk in the pool can be a bit noisy. But overall it was a great stay and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms above the glass enclosure. Much quieter
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank triplover51
BridgewaterHGI, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Old pitted faucets, peeling wallpapers at corners, stains, chips and rips in walls and on carpet. the rooms are badly in need of refreshing. you can also hear the people in the next room... perfectly. The gym and pool also need updating. If these things dont bother you, it is convenient if you are flying out of newark, and the beds are comfy and seem clean......The staff is very nice as is the restaurant. They just need to refresh it and it would be a gem.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank beth l
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I booked this hotel even after looking at the reviews to see first hand if they were true, and they were. While this is nice location and the staff is exceptional the rooms are way way outdated and are in a desperate need of an update, I know that they are working on it and I will come back to see the final product. I would recommend getting a room overlooking the pool as I heard these have been somewhat updated more than the 12 th floor. I will say that the bar area and especially Tim behind the bar made it worth the stay, food was excellent.

Room Tip: Overlook the pool area
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank runningman41
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. However, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel near Newark, this is it. Not quite up to standards of other DoubleTree or Hilton properties. The room furnishings were a bit dated and the hotel lobby looked like something from a 1980's James Bond movie. None the less, it is a full service and very large hotel and even had an indoor pool. Noisy A/C and non-functioning phones in the room tells me this hotel does not keep up with maintenance.

Room Tip: Say you are allergic to carpeting and maybe you will get an upgraded room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank iHeart2Workout
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#3 of 14 in Elizabeth

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!