WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Prescott AZ
“"It's all about service"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

After my second stay at this airport hotel, I visited TripAdvisor & was quite surprised by several negative postings. In no way did I experience any of those comments, so I tho't: could this be the same one where I stayed? Remembering my own positive experience, I had no qualms about booking a 3rd & 4th stay (one of which I canceled due to travel changes). On entering the lobby for this stay, I kept an eye & ear open, thinking I might have missed something before.

Not so. Same prompt, cheerful welcome. Same eagerness to make sure my room assignment was what I expected---if not more. In fact, because I arrived before the listed check-in time, my room was not ready (my fault, not theirs) & they offered another room & a lunch voucher "for my trouble." A staff person even walked me to 2 other possible choices, one of which I accepted because I was cold on this blustery afternoon--and hungry.

As with most of my Hilton-brand stays, I have never encountered less-than-perfect cleanliness & readiness in my accommodations at this property. If there were small inconveniences or less-than-expected amenities, barring a full house, there was never anything but a sincere eagerness & effort to offer satisfaction---and with a smile & can-do attitude. This is SERVICE, and unless one uses an expensive, full-scale Waldorf-level amenities as a ruler, SERVICE is what counts most to me! Sometimes rates are a bit higher than I'm used to paying, but that depends on the season, popular nearby events, etc. Nice touch, also, is the courteous, smiling Hello from ALL staff, right down to custodial, maintenance, wait-service, cleaning staff shuttle driver.

Kudos, thanks & a hearty atta-guy, atta-gal to Doubletree, Newark Airport!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the atrium--with balcony if available. Newark Airport is nothing special to lo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jerseygalPrescottAZ
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
All of us here at the DoubleTree By Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our Hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. If you have any comments that you would like us know about, please feel free to contact us directly. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our DoubleTree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tralee, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great service from the moment I walked into the hotel. Smiles all round and very helpful. Rooms are spacious and very clean with very comfortable beds. Had breakfast and found it to be ample, not the most imaginative but fresh and hot. Easy access to airport and just a short 15min train journey to New York City. At $25 round trip it is not bad at all. Best if you want quieter rooms to ask for the rooms above the glass enclosure, as the folk in the pool can be a bit noisy. But overall it was a great stay and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms above the glass enclosure. Much quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank triplover51
BridgewaterHGI, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Old pitted faucets, peeling wallpapers at corners, stains, chips and rips in walls and on carpet. the rooms are badly in need of refreshing. you can also hear the people in the next room... perfectly. The gym and pool also need updating. If these things dont bother you, it is convenient if you are flying out of newark, and the beds are comfy and seem clean......The staff is very nice as is the restaurant. They just need to refresh it and it would be a gem.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank beth l
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.
runningman41
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I booked this hotel even after looking at the reviews to see first hand if they were true, and they were. While this is nice location and the staff is exceptional the rooms are way way outdated and are in a desperate need of an update, I know that they are working on it and I will come back to see the final product. I would recommend getting a room overlooking the pool as I heard these have been somewhat updated more than the 12 th floor. I will say that the bar area and especially Tim behind the bar made it worth the stay, food was excellent.

Room Tip: Overlook the pool area
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank runningman41
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. However, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel near Newark, this is it. Not quite up to standards of other DoubleTree or Hilton properties. The room furnishings were a bit dated and the hotel lobby looked like something from a 1980's James Bond movie. None the less, it is a full service and very large hotel and even had an indoor pool. Noisy A/C and non-functioning phones in the room tells me this hotel does not keep up with maintenance.

Room Tip: Say you are allergic to carpeting and maybe you will get an upgraded room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank iHeart2Workout
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I liked this hotel it was neat and clean. But they are charging for parking. Staff were good. I will visit this hotel again if I will visit NY. It is very near to path station where we used to park our cars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

As others have mentioned, this hotel was previously owned by another hotel chain (Sheraton), and that shows in some areas of the hotel. This is not a bad hotel - it's just that I don't feel that it quite measures up to other Doubletrees that I have stayed in. Maybe once the renovations are completed it will.

I'll start with the positives. The location is very convenient to the airport (obviously) as well as to New York City. I was greeted promptly and the woman at the check-in counter was extremely polite, acknowledged me as a Hilton Gold member, and was very courteous, efficient and friendly. The lobby area is decent and very large.

The room itself is really what led me to give an "average" rating. My room definitely showed it's age. Furniture was on the shabby side, bed was not all that comfortable (not terrible though), and the bathroom was downright ugly. Wallpaper was peeling in spots, tile and grout were dirty from age. Also - hot water ran out on me just as I was finishing up a 10 minute shower - this was at about 8:30 am. Not sure what that was all about.

I ordered room service for dinner - it arrived pretty promptly and was decent, although the sandwich was definitely small.

So far I have stayed at the Doubletree, the Hilton, and the Hampton Inn at Newark airport. I would say this rates somewhere in between the Hilton and the Hampton, but significantly better than the Hampton.

Overall - relatively comfortable and OK for a short business stay but far from luxurious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank themosh1
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we continue to work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.