“I was hoping for a discount,however me and my family enjoyed our stay”

Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I want to first say thanks to my aunt ( R. Hunter) that work there as a maid (housekeeper) that told me she would be able to get me a discount..then when it was time to book she told me her boss said he would not allow my sons to get in the pool on a discount.I knew she was bs'ing me ...smh and lol.I still got there regardless.I booked my stay online for one day 6/29/12 We enjoyed our stay.We didn't want to leave because it was so comfortable.The room was very clean and we all had fun in that beautiful clean pool.I am referring everybody to this place and hopefully I can get a discount.lol Tawanna Hunter

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Hello. thank you for your opinion and for sharing your experience. Friends and Family discounts are offered when space is available, the holiday weekend you requested; occupancies exceeded the allotted percentage for a discount rate. We always recommend reservation in advance, rather then 24 hours prior to the arrival. The Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark is one of the few hotels in the Newark area that offers an outdoor swimming pool. We monitor usage by issuing wrist bands for the number of people paying and staying in the guest room only. For the comfort and safety of all our guest, we do not allow unregistered friends to make use of the pool area. Thank you again for your opinion.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel locates directly across from Newark Airport and after the tram ride will have you at the front door in 5 to 10 minutes! We've stayed here several times over the past few years and have always been treated with efficiency and respect. Our room has been clean and service great each and every time.
I have used the bar/lounge , cafe, snack counter and of course front desk and all staff have been attentive to our needs and again treated with respect & friendliness.
For the value, you can't beat this hotel for the convienence it offers.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bob H
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Wyndham Newark Airport on our way out of the country.

We found ourselves unexpectetly needing a hotel. We made one call to the Wyndham and the rest was history. Making the reservation was quick and easy. Once there not only was th room great but the front desk staff was outstanding. They helped guide us via the local bus system to easily get into New York (total cost $9.00). Nothing in New York costs $9.00. We had the opportunity to meet locals and see part of Newark that we would not normally see. We also had the opportunity to get information from locals on what it's like to live and work in both Newark and New York.

Room Tip: Excellent menu selection in the restaurant and the price was very reasonable
3  Thank Michael M
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at the Wyndham for a weekend, we had a 3 day Convention in NJ. It was an ok place, a little to expensive for the room. The curtains and furniture made the room look really dark and also were a little dated, they could use some remodeling in the bathroom and the pool as well. I must say it was clean. Its a little complicate getting to this hotel since the GPS said we had arrived and we were in the middle of the pkway.. They also had a restaurant there, which was ok, ate 2x from them.. It was an ok stay but don't think we would be coming back..

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I was stranded at Newark Airport, which happens a LOT as the smaller planes that fly EWR-DTW seem to have terrible problems. I've been put up at a few hotels by the airline, but this time as my flight wasn't yet cancelled (it was later) and there was bad weather so I knew I'd be picking up the tab, I decided to book my own hotel. Because of the weather there wasn't much available. I belong to several hotel reward programs but ended up booking Wyndham b/c all of the hotels at EWR that I belonged to were full. From Sheraton to Hilton to Holiday Inn and InterContinental, nothing was available except via orbitz or expedia, etc.

I booked through Orbitz as it was the cheapest rate (still WAY too expensive for this hotel) and was there within an hour. The shuttle was prompt and runs every 20 minutes. THAT was nice. The property was so run down that I was shocked. I'd just come from a nice place in the Bahamas and it was some change. The rooms were old, in need of renovation, and my room was teeny tiny. Maybe the Orbitz influence? But I was SO tired I didn't give it much thought. I needed a hot bath and a bed.

I don't know how a bathroom's cleanliness could be so overlooked. The smell was bad, there was no room for my bath things, but to me the worst part was the dirty bath tub. How can someone forget to clean a bathtub? The shower curtains were a bit damp and I wondered if the room had been rushed, but the hotel was not busy by any means. The tub had brown stains in the white tile and it took me awhile to scrub them off. I carry travel-sized Clorox wipes when I'm on a long trip, just to cut the chances of catching a cold from the remote control or airplane remotes and I had a few left to clean the tub. I used more of them cleaning up the long black hair in the tub and drain area than the stains. It was truly disgusting.

Since I got my bath (after working for it) I then hit the sheets. The bed was so hard I kept waking up to change positions. The room itself was just badly decorated and had no hotel info whatsoever. I had wanted to call room service but there was no menu. I checked the tv for a menu but no luck. Also, the bedcover was not clean. I know some hotels change them, some don't, and I hope I don't ever again get one who choose to leave a bedcover with ketchup on it.

Wyndham has some amazing hotels, I've been to several. This is not worthy of the Wyndham name. Why do they allow hotels like this to stay so dated and unclean? I could name at least 3 other EWR hotels that left me disappointed but this was the worst. Maybe I was given a bad room b/c I booked through Orbitz? I was on the top floor and it was a large hotel. Usually the top floor is where the frequent guests stay, so I was confused. Also, my room was so far away from the elevator that I felt as if I was walking a marathon. I'd get that in a resort, but it's an airport hotel. Why was I put in such a tiny, dirty room so far from the elevator? And there was no one offering to assist with bags, that is for sure.

The coffee maker was nice (though I don't drink coffee I DID notice the brand) and the oddly shaped ice buckets were cool. It needed a small fridge, though. Maybe an honor bar or a minibar would be nice? There WAS a safe, as well. Also, when staying in an airport hotel (especially when flying United Express) it would be nice to have proper bath amenities and a bathrobe. SO many people are stuck at EWR and end up at these hotels and they're all beginning to look alike.

Just as there are properties in the Starwood family or Hilton that should be removed or remodeled, this is one that Wyndham forgot about. I did like the fact that they had a gift shop and room service (yet no in-room menu) but I ended up too busy cleaning the tub to do anything. And I was exhausted.

Positives are the shuttle, the availability of food and drink at any hour, and the number of rooms. I would be surprised to hear that they were ever sold out. But I just can't imagine staying there again. I've seen worse while on a "free" tour of Europe, but this was sad. If only they'd cleaned the bathroom! And the bed- haven't they heard of pillowtop mattresses? Maybe I'm spoiled by Starwood's Heavenly Beds and Sweet Sleepers, and HI's Pillow menus. Or maybe the hotel needs a head to toe renovation. I guess the latter.

I was excited when I first found the hotel, thinking that if I HAD to stay an extra night at least it would be in a nice hotel. Boy, was I wrong. Yet, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't have written a review at all if the bathroom hadn't been dirty. No guest should have to clean their own tub. Disappointing.

Room Tip: The floors are HUGE, don't ask to be TOO far from the elevators- you'll get lost!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank thaliajen
managementewr, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Thank you for your opinion! I apologize that we did not met you expectations and did not deliver a good experience. I will be copying your review and sharing it with the hotel’s housekeeping department so we can try to quantify and learn from your input. Unfortunately, we do not have anything on record, that anyone made us aware of their dissatisfaction with the cleanliness of the bathroom and choose to clean it themselves. In the future, if your not satisfied with any guest room condition, in any hotel, once you report it, they will try to remedy it, while you are residing. Hearing about it later on an open forum website, does not allow the opportunity to try to correct an error, and to also quantify what your writing. This is the first report I have ever received, that the guest felt the necessity and cleaned the bathroom of the assigned guestroom. I do apologize for any inconvenience, and could only wish you made us aware of your dissatisfaction while you resided.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Maybe it's not the only hotel hiding around the airport, but it's near impossible to get to. Took us around 1 hour (driver and co-driver) to locate it. In the end, it's OK for one night's stay, nothing especially wrong with it, but worn-out and ordinary. Friendly reception, safe parking, price as you would expect.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

It's not easy to get to the hotel if you are driving in because there are so many highways in the area. Make sure you research how to get to the hotel before going -- GPS wasn't helpful. It looks like a dump from the outside and lobby but the rooms are modern, quiet, and clean. Staff was helpful, the restaurant (more like a diner) had reasonably priced foods (especially for the quantity -- I split the meal with my wife and still had some left over).

I did the park and ride, it was reasonable for our 9AM flight and easy to catch the shuttle. I wish they would have told me that you have to take the airtran to P4 to catch the shuttle, I was confused on where to pick it up, didn't realize that's where all the hotels pick up people. I wanted the cheapest way to park and get to the airport and reviews said this, If it remains the cheapest I'll go back. I also saw shuttles for hotels in elizabethtown and other towns slightly farther away, they might have better deals.