“Intelligent Choice”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Greenwich, CT
“Intelligent Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I want to make this review simple, because my reasoning was simple for staying at this hotel. I needed a hotel on my journey that was quiet, clean, convenient to Newark International Airport, and affordable within reason. This Wyndham satisfied all those requirements, and I was impressed with the employees ranging from the front desk to the friendly maid service. You can see my Youtube video on the room by typing or copying "Newark liberty international airport hotel" into the yOutube search engine or Google under videos, and see for yourself.

Room Tip: Pool view, or automobile view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank yajustgotaloveit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

This was a choice to stay in an affordable hotel, not so far from the Manhattan convention I needed to attend. It worked fine. The shuttle was convenient and timely. The access tot he city is very easy via the train as it stops at the airport. The transportation took some planning but the hotel was a very fine choice. They have a restaurant that is excellent, a small souvenir shop and a lobby cafe that is stocked with juices and rolls for a quick bite. Overall, the room was well appointed. Still, the room's carpet could use better spot cleaning, the room was clean and acceptably comfortable for business. This location is not a good choice for a vacation unless you are on a budget, or as an airport layover before or after a flight . Nice and clean outdoor pool area. The hotel is quiet, even when fully booked. Bring your laptop though as the "business center" is not up to par.

I stayed here years ago and it seems less luxurius than formerly. That may be due to the specific room selected. I will probably look around more or check out other locations given my most recent experience...it was just marginally acceptable. Of course, the staff are great but the structure itself needs some upgrading work. Carpet, paint, new lobby furniture, etc...given so many choices in EWR and NYC, this hotel needs more quality upgrade touches to make the guests feel more pampered. The hotel is off the beaten track. It is a good value, but not a first choice type location or resort sense for the stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a courtyard, pool view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank SeeSawSay
Tyler, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Absolutely the worst week I ever spent in a motel was the night I spent here. The only good thing I can say about it is it was quiet, until the fire alarm and the 7 fire trucks showed up. I'm not kidding!
I'm writing this from the room before we check out after one night of a two night stay.
That's how bad it is. Here's all the problems with the room and property. Let's start with the bed. It is, without a doubt, the hardest bed I've ever tried to sleep on. I've honestly slept on softer floors! We have a non smoking room and we had cigarette smoke wafting thru the bathroom vent. Ah yes, the bathroom. It has no counter space to speak of. You couldn't be at the commode and shut the door. We found bugs in the bathroom.
The motel is tough to get into, you can only get in from one direction on 1/9. There is free parking, but not a whole lot of it. We had to park at the back. and there is no back entrance. You have to walk all around the hotel to get back in the front.
Finally, let's talk about the free cable. It does run from the wall to the tv. It is mostly local channels with about 10 cable channels. It does have HBO, but if you want sports info you better have a laptop, there is no ESPN.
All in all, this was absolutely, positively, the most miserable stay I've ever had in a hotel or motel. If I have to eat a night's stay to get out of here I will.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank boilers78
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Had no problems with this room at all. Very spacious. Restaurant and bar area is nice to have on-site. It is right near the airport with a shuttle. There is nothing within walking distance that I could see, so get what you need beforehand. Expect to pay a benjamin.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank damax
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

My boyfriend and I sayed here for a week in June to catch some Yankees games. The hotel was a good price, nice room and according to a hotel clerk, was only about 1.5- 2 hours away from yankees stadium via shuttles/ subway. When we booked the hotel we requested a refrigerator and they told us to remind them at check in. We did so and after unloading the cart in the room, we realized that there was no refrigerator. (Granted we should have looked before we unloaded) We had a cooler so we decided to use it instead of reloading and moving rooms. They also advertised on the internet free continental breakfast which we found out was only for "certain packages" but they did have an area with snacks, drinks, sandwiches and salads that could be purchased at all hours. The hotel also advertised that they had a free shuttle that went to the airport every 15-20 min. BIGGEST LIE OF ALL! Transportation was the biggest dissapointment with this hotel. They left us sitting at the airport for nearly an hour one night, even after calling them 3 times. BE AWARE! They said that they picked up at the airport on the half hour after a certain time of night... of course that was used at their convienience because once we called at 2:40 to let them know we were waiting at the airport (which we should have not had to do) and they said they would not be back until 3, that they had just left there at 3:30... Little did they know we had already been sitting there for 20 min and never saw them. Complete lie. When we told them that we had been sitting there since 2:20, they said well the shuttle leave on the half hour, not picks up on the half hour... So like I said it was just at their convience. Very frustrating and a complete waste of time. However, in the total of several hours that we sat at the airport, we did notice that the Holiday Inn was ALWAYS there. Even if no one was getting on the shuttle, they were waiting for if someone were to need it. The airport staff even made several comments about how Windham Gardens always had to be called several times and was always late, if they even showed up at their scheduled time at all. My recommendation. NJ/NY is a great place to visit. Definately find a place that is cheap because there is so many other things to spend your money on. But... Find a place that you dont have to wait forever for a shuttle. It is definately worth 20-30 more dollars a night to have a shuttle waiting after a long day of visiting the big apple!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank tds9701
Corinth, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

My wife and I just spent a week here as an economical way to see New York City. We had originally booked to check in on the 12th but decided to go a day earlier. However, we did not book for the 11th until that morning online while waiting on our flight in Baltimore. When we got to the motel less than 2 hours later and app 3 hours before check in, I was not expecting to get a room right away. However, check in was a breeze and we got our room immediately. The room was nice size, bathroom was roomy. AC worked very well. I had read some reviews that said the beds were hard. Well we noticed that right away but had no problem sleeping in them. The shower had excellent water pressure and no shortage of hot water. Our room was very quiet as we never heard anything in rooms next to us or in the hallway. The checkin and checkout was a breeze and all in all, we were treated very nicely. I would not have a problem staying here again.

That being said, please be aware of the options to getting into New York City from here. As stated earlier, this was an economical trip so we took the cheapest but the longest way. You can catch a cab but we did not want to pay the rates as they are pretty high. We took the hotel airport shuttle and always asked them to drop us off at the bus stop to Penn Station. We never waited more than 7 or 8 minutes for the hotel shuttle and it is about 3 minutes from the airport. We then caught city bus #62 1.50 per person to Penn Station. The longest we waited for this bus at the airport was around 10-15 minutes but usually less than 10 minutes. This bus then took you to Penn Station and took about 10 minutes. At Penn Station, we then caught the subway into Manhattan (ending at 33rd St or at WTC). The cost was 1.75 per person and took about 35 minutes. So, it usually took about 75 to 90 minutes from the time you left your room to the time you hit the streets of Manhattan. Going back, we always had bus 62 drop us off at the hotel, saving about 15 to 20 minutes. So coming back was 55 to 65 minutes. Total roundtrip cost for 2 people this way was 13.00 per day. We weren't on any time schedule so saving money was more important. Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank rghlmh
Eastport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel, Newark, in May 2011. I was there to pick up my daughter from college for the summer, and needed a hotel near Staten Island. This was my second stay, and both times I found the hotel to be very comfortable/on the upscale side of things, and quiet. It has everything you expect a city hotel to have, including a small gift shop which was a help. I intend to be there again in late August, to send our daughter overseas from Newark Airport, which is just across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo