“Nice Room, Nice View, Nice Price!”

Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice Room, Nice View, Nice Price!”
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Hello Folks,

Last weekend I stayed at the Robert Treat and I had a pleasant experience. I had no problem with customer service as others have noted. The gentleman that checked me in was polite and courteous and gave me a beautiful room with a view of the park! I loved the decor of the room, especially the tall ceilings, floor-to-ceiling window, wall-mounted flat-screen tv and black & white framed photographs.

I ordered a club sandwich and fries from Room Service and it was good and generously portioned. My food arrived within 15 minutes. While I waited I used the complimentary high-speed wireless service on my laptop and it worked great!

I enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast which is served in a very nice and contemporary room with two huge flat-screen tv's. There's a great variety of food to choose from as well and a very nice duet of hosts to greet you and answer questions.

After breakfast I had a nice workout in the hotel gym. I saw a full-service Business Center on that level as well. Then I went back to my room packed my things and retrieved my car from the complimentary parking lot (with full-time guard) and drove back home.

All in all a nice stay for the money and the hotel offers many features that high-end hotels charge extra for at no additonal cost!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Okay hotel and good value compared to Manhattan. Only about 10 min to walk to the train and the 20 min by train to Penn Station on Manhattan.

First when we arrived it was very cold in our room and it was not possible to turn on any heating. We asked for extra blankets but did not get any. We were freezing throughout the night! After some days the heating worked and then instead it was hot as hell in our room when we got back, and there was not any way to get any cooling...!

The breakfast was quite okay.

Free valet parking.

A good location for a hotel if you have a car and want to drive in New Jersey and visit Manhattan getting in by train.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Beijing
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I stayed here for a night during a layover. The hotel was clean, and the rooms were small but serviceable. I don't have a lot of nice things to say about the location, but then again, I don't have a lot of nice things to say about Newark. It's not too far from the PATH train and the airport shuttle service is fine.

I left my cell phone in the room when I left and called the hotel afterwards. They found my cell phone and told me they would hold my cell phone for me until I got back to New York a week later. In that week, the cell phone "disappeared."

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I had previously written a review of the Robert Treat Hotel and had commented on how it needed updating. Well I was pleasantly surprised when I stayed here again and the hotel had been renovated. The hotel is now a Best Western hotel and the rooms have undergone a major renovation. The carpet and furniture have all been replaced and there is now a flat screen tv and free Wi-fi.

There is also now free breakfast available in the basement of the hotel in the guest lounge. It pretty basic, cereal, pastries, yogurt, bread, hot oatmeal, etc. In the afternoon the lounge has fresh baked cookies available and can be accessed by using your room key.

There is also a free shuttle available to the train station and to other locations. The hotel is located within walking distance to the Prudential Center and would be a good place to stay if you're coming to town for an event. I was impressed with all the renovations that have been made and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
CT
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I stayed here one night with a friend who was departing from Newark Airport. While small, the room was stylishly decorated and clean. Parking was convenient in back of the hotel, and I could see my car out the window. There was a party going on on the first floor, but our floor was very quiet. We walked to breakfast at Food for LIfe just a few blocks away.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CTtrekker
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I've stayed a few times now at the Robert Treat and always enjoy my stays. The cost is considerably lower than what you can find in Manhattan, and with the convenient PATH trains, it's only a 20 minute ride into the City. The PATH station is a pleasant four block walk away from the hotel. The hotel itself is in good shape, staff are friendly and rooms are clean. If you're looking for a nice clean hotel and you don't want to pay Manhattan prices, I recommend the Robert Treat.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
texas
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Hotel was clean and in good condition. The room was a little small but had a large desk and work area if you are traveling on business. The bed and linen were comfortable but the pillows were too soft. The bathroom was very small with a vent that could not be turned off, so it created a draft which made it a little chilly. Also, the weather turned cold and there was no heat. The breakfast was continental and adequate. The shuttle ran every 30 minutes to airport and Penn station. Parking is VERY limited but free if you can find a spot. At night, the area seems a little seedy but during the day there are a lot of little shops and places to eat within walking distance. Overall, a good value and comfortable stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple