“Faded but not Jaded”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Gainesville, Florida, United States
“Faded but not Jaded”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed 5 nights here while attending a program at Seton Hall Law School and was pleasantly surprised. When I told other attendees that I was paying $104 a night, with free shuttle to/from Newark Penn Station and the airport and free breakfast (and a very good one), the attendees who were staying elsewhere in Newark (most at the Hilton) were quite jealous--they were paying around $250, with no breakfast.

The lobby is nice. There is a good upscale restaurant "Maize" on the premises. The room was a bit older and a bit small, but clean, and had a comfortable bed and a little fridge. The bathroom was spotless. The Military Park across the street was a good view and hearing the church bells playing songs at 12 and 6 was nostaligic. It is only a $5 train ride into NYC Penn Station. It's next to the Performing Arts Center.

Everyone at the hotel was extremely nice. One of the breakfast staff had a great voice--it was such fun hearing her sing in the mornings.
One of the other reviews had mentioned thin walls/noise, but I found that turning on the A/C fan cured that.

Room Tip: Front rooms face the park.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank KTUFL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel was very convenient to Newark Penn Station. The hotel has a 24 hour shuttle service, but we walked to the train station; only a 10 minute walk. Very satisfied with this hotel; would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Carol C
New Mexico
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had heard some bad things about the city of Newark, but you would never guess from staying at this beautiful location. There was a park right across the street with a lovely Episcopal Church. The airport transportation was quick and reliable. The hotel is beautiful - lovely room. I would definitely stay here again if travelling through Newark.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lesley S
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I stayed at this historic hotel while visiting the East Coast . The staff were very cordial and helpful. The rooms were supremely clean and tidy, the bathroom spotless, Room service was quick and efficient. The free shuttle to and from the airport and the train was fabulous. The free breakfast every day was really quite good , with both hot and cold choices. Those are the positives.
The negatives...... the walls are not soundproof. I heard the guy in the room next to me coughing all night. I arrived 5/28/14, when I left Tucson, it was 100 degrees and on arrival in Newark, it was 40 degrees. I tried to turn on the heat and got only cold air. A call to the front desk informed me that, as it was now summer, the heat had been converted to airconditioning and NO heat was available. They did send up a couple of blankets, but, the room was still chilled. Now, about that bed. I have traveled alot, and, this was the MOST uncomfortable bed I have ever had to sleep on, (besides the sleeping bag I used when camping). I woke up sore every morning for 5 days..... sigh..... While room service was quick, the food, catered by the restaurant in the lobby, was poor to mediocre at best. Canned tomato sauce on the chicken parmesan, and the penne,,,,,,just,,,,,yuck. The Tamarind wings were good though.
Would I stay here again? I really don't think so. That bed was just awful.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank sandykam53
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband traveled with me for a one-night's stay on business to the Best Western, formally known as Robert Treat Hotel. I chose it for its proximity to my business meeting. We experienced several issues during our short stay. Although we received a AAA discount, as well as a $19 credit after complaining; however, we still overpaid ($117)- regardless of its location. We did not check in until 2 a.m., and after traveling hours, had to wait for someone to come to the desk from upstairs. It took almost an hour to park in the narrow lane called a parking lot, in which cars were illegally parked in Fire Zones- which made parking additionally difficult. We were then disgusted by the accommodations, as the room was in dire need of updating and extensive cleaning. I found Skittles in various areas of the room, showing debris was pushed under the couch and bed. When I attempted to shower, the pressure was extremely low which was exacerbated by the calcium crusted shower head which only permitted a painful stream of water to shoot out. The heat did not work. The toilet clogged. DISGUSTING! I wish I knew there was a hotel down the street, or had chosen to drive from EWR. We received indifference and excuses in response to our complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

5 Thank V W
Houston, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Hotel TV lineup does not include FNC (Fox News Channel). Restaurants in area not memorable. Staff is not super friendly. Parking is too crowded. Saw lots of vehicles with scrapes and bumps due to inability to drive out between cars.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

2 Thank Sandra M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 29, 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are small. It's hilarious really. They are super duper small. Tiny, tiny rooms. I am smiling as I write this, because I know what you are thinking (Or at least I think I do). You are wondering if small equals bad. Nope. I loved it. Let me tell you why. The flat-screen TV was anchored to the wall. The remote was one of those that you can wipe off (yea! for me the OCD Queen). The bed was soft and huge (so, yes, it took up 3/4 of the room). There was actually a tiny little seating area in the room. I should have taken a picture. It was unbelievable. The bathroom was also tiny. But it was completely white, so I was happy. The sink was functional (read: little). There was a desk. Robert Treat Hotel is perfect if you are looking for a way to be a tourist in New York and not have to pay New York hotel prices. The cost was about $110 a night when I stayed there in March of 2014. Pretty cheap. Convenient as well: The hotel will take you to Penn Station as well as pick you up. Free shuttle, anyone? Breakfast is included. Now, you can pack a couple of bagels in your day bag, wait downstairs for the shuttle, get a free ride to Penn Station and spend the couple dollars it costs to ride the PATH train, get off anywhere in NYC and HAVE.A.BALL. All on a budget. Look, Im not gonna lie. It's NOT the Ritz. But who cares? It's got all the bang you need for your tourist buck. Oh, and it's clean.
On the down side, the walls are crazy thin. But, hopefully, you'll be so tired from walking around NYC all day, you truly will not care. I think. One more thing. Like most hotels, they also have a free shuttle from the Newark Airport. Cool, right?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business