“Not a good choice for park & fly”

Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Room location was noisy late at night. There was no early departure snack for plane even though it was mentioned in literature in room. Our return to the motel airport pick up on return at SFO was 45 minutes after arrival. The call to the motel from SFO at the baggage claim area did not work. we will not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Hotel is in the PERFECT location for anyone attending a concert/show at the PAC just across the street. Neighborhood not so great, so we opted to stay confined to the hotel for dinner. Close to airport, great staff, nice rooms. I would definitely stay here again if I was attending a show at the PAC.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Chose this hotel because if the closeness to EWR. The location is good both to EWR and for the train taking you to NYC. BUT the first night there was a shoot out at the backyard and when we checked out we called the reception 10 minutes later since we forgot our charger. He would not send a person to the room but told us the cleaning personnel would pick it up later the same day. When we called later they had not found anything in the room...

The neighbour is also very shabby with a lot of homeless people. My advise is to choose another hotel, there are plenty to choose from.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Overall I would not stay in Newark at a hotel unless it was for a business reason but my wife got tickets at NJPAC for a concert. I looked on-line and saw that the Best Western was directly across the street. We decided to stay overnight because it was about a 2 hour drive to Newark and then back. Arrived at the hotel around 4:30pm, check-in was great. One thing to remember is that you should pull up to the hotel have someone get out and go to the front desk. Get a Parking Ticket and then you have to drive around the block to park in the hotels' parking lot. You need the ticket before entering the parking lot so you don't have to pay. Hotel is old but was very clean. Rooms were actually nice, furniture was new with a refrigerator. Bathrooms are very small. We checked in walked over to NJPAC and had a great dinner and drinks and then saw the show. Walking distance is like 2 minutes. Only complaint I had is that the free continental breakfast was just OK. Yeah I know it is free. Biggest issue was that the 2 staff members did not clean any tables so basically you had to clean a spot for yourself with a dry napkin. My only issue; but otherwise a good hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David G
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked this hotel as a last minute option, and we chose this due to its proximity to the station as our purpose is to visit New York. Although I have read about negative feedback surrounding the hotel due to a number of homeless wandering around the vicinity, it didn't bother us since we only stay at the hotel for sleeping and if we go out, we go straight to the Train station for New York. It may not be as pleasant as outside, however, inside, it's really worth it, rooms are nice, our view is magnificent, facing Manhattan skyline, and looking from our window, the view of the sunset/sunrise is just awesome. . .

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely choose this again the next time we come back to New York.

TIP: choose higher floors facing manhattan, double room is so spacious as compared to Best Western hotel we tried in Paris and London.

PROS - accessibility to Newark Penn station (22 minutes travel time to World Trade Center)
- rooms are spacious and clean
- shuttle bus service to/from Newark airport or newark penn train station

CONS - Breakfast is just so-so, small place and could be crowded at times
- outside the hospital, a scenery of homeless wandering around (didn't bother us as we didn't go out the hotel

All in all, still a place for us to stay the next time we are around.

Room Tip: TIP: choose higher floors facing manhattan, double room is so spacious as compared to Best Western...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Have stayed many times. Staff is terrific. Very convenient to EWR & NYC. They offer shuttle service to both EWR & Newark Penn Station. Newark Penn is only a 5 minute walk from the property. Breakfast is convenient and runs late. Definitely a worthwhile stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Patrick D
Reviewed July 27, 2013

On a recent business trip to NJ I stayed at the Best Western Robert Treat. The hotel is in a great location and has quite a few interesting options within walking distance. The rooms are older, but in decent shape and reasonable clean. My stay, however, was less than pleasant. The staff was extremely rude, so rude in fact that I contacted the general manager. His first response was to tell me it wasn't his staff. Wow! I never got so much as an apology. I boycotted Best Western for almost 15 years after my last bad experience. I don't think I'll ever stay in one again. Completely unprofessional from the top down. If you stay here you're just rolling the dice. The service depends on which staff members you come in contact with and obviously poor behavior is tolerated from the staff here. Not only did I receive horrible service, but I watched other customers treated with complete disrespect.

The breakfast was also pretty miserable. Toast/begals, cereal and coffee. That's it.

You have to feed cash in to the computer in the business center to print boarding tickets, etc. The computers are absolutely disgusting. I didn't even want to touch the keys. The internet in the room is slow/sporadic at best, but at least it's free.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business