“Pleasant Suprize” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Chicago
“Pleasant Suprize”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed at the B/W Robert Treat in February 2012. It turned out to be a very pleasant visit. I was there overnight with meetings scheduled the day I arrived and the following day. The room was fine, one king bed, with a good bathroom and plenty of space in the room.

This is an older property in town but it is in good shape. I found the room to be a bit noisy but not enough to disturb ones sleep. The hotel has large event rooms attached.

If you need your computer bring a cable to connect to the wall. The WIFI was a slow as molasses in winter. Free, but slow. The "business center" is the old "pay-as-you-go" style with, to me, expensive rates. I did not find a "25 cent" vibrating chair there but I expected to.

The Maize restaurant on the first level was also a treat. We had a working breakfast there on Sunday. The service was efficient and unobtrusive. This is one of the few places I have been recently where one could hold a conversation across the table in a normal voice and not be plagued by the music form the PA system.

The included breakfast was fine. Good selection of confidential breakfast items and attendant cleaned while in use.

All in all "good value for money."

Room Tip: Not much traffic on the weekends so a street side room gives a good view and little noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I was planning a trip from Toronto to NYC by car. (7hr drive) I picked B.W. Robert Treat for parking, price and access to PATH train in to NYC. the Price was excellent $90 night. Breakfast incl.'d for me my wife and 2 kids. Breakfast lounge was excellent, clean, very nice. The shuttle to the PATH train was convenient from the hotel. (we confirmed times the night before and planned accordingly) Coming back from the train station (5 minute drive) we took a cab. Didn't want to wait. Cab was only $5.00. Hotel was clean, staff was friendly and professional. Hotel is a terrific 'base' for visiting NYC.

We never walked the surrounding area... looked a bit questionable and uninviting. But we weren't there to see Newark, we were there to see NYC. PATH train was convenient and took 30 min. to NYC. Have to switch trains at Journal Sq. across the platform to Penn station NYC or if you stay on train takes you to lower manhatten. cost $2 kids were free.

Also we bought the city pass at our first stop (empire state) cost was $220 for 3 my 7 yr old was free. (think we said she was 6) But gave access to 6 attractions which we did in 2 days.
Day 1. empire state, Guggenheim, MOMA, metropolitan museum, horse and carriage ride in central park, Top of the Rock, Time Square, 2nd day, Dakota apts/ strawberry field, Museum of natural history, on the 3rd day we did a walking tour of WTC which i'd recommend, skating at Wollman rink, central park, time square.

Also forget that hop on hop off bus we considered it but in the end opted for taking cabs. The cabs were fast, and cheap. Think in total we spend 70 in cab. avg fair was $7-$10. Its also significantly faster than the bus.

Just from talking to other people who were taking those buses they were complaining about the waits.

We also went skating a Wollman rink with the kids. Kids felt that was a highlight of the trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank nimoo
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

The Hotel is really nice considering the deal I Iwas offered! $60 a night! I stayed there from feb 11 to 13 and I would do it again even though breakfast sucks really! The room is large and very quiet and so is the hotel. The shutlle from the airport is a little slow ( one hour's waiting) but very reliable to the airport! Penn station to NYC is only 10 minutes away on foot. I recommend the place! Nice hotel .It cost either $2 OW on PATH or 5 bucks with Transit NJ....Nice ride and frequent trains.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

We had a last minute flight change and were forced to spend the night in Newark on our way to the Dominican Republic. Once we landed I did a quick search for cheap hotels near the airport with complimentary shuttles. We paid $90 for the night. After reading the very average reviews we weren't expecting much, but we were pleasantly surprised.
You can tell it is an older hotel, with some areas looking a bit tired, but our room had obviously had a recent refit and was very tastefully done. The room was a little on the small side, but as you would expect from a city center hotel near An airport. And for the 2 of us it was fine.

We left early so didn't get to try the complimentary breakfast, but the restaurant looked good. We did mange to get a couple of drinks at the bar in the evening. Service was great and reasonably priced.

Overall a good quality, low cost hotel. I will definately stay again if I'm in the area...

• Stayed February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business meeting (we had the meeting in Newark to support the local economy - rightfully so) and this was one of the worst hotel meetings I've attended (I go to meetings at hotels at least once a month) because of poor service. While the meeting room was spacious, the quality of service was TERRIBLE - the food was poor, the service was poor, and access to the bathrooms were horrible. We had to continue to ask the food service staff to bring us coffee because they did not provide us with coffee or tea service. Instead they gave us one cup and never camp back for refills. When I asked for tea, I was given a look as if I had four heads. Though we had a meeting with more than 10 women, the staff continued to lock the ladies bathroom. Therefore, we had no access to the bathroom. Fr a business meeting, this was unacceptable.

Hotel guests are provided with breakfast - its included in the price. The space for breakfast was okay; in fact it was the only place in the hotel where we could refill our coffee or tea. However, if you took advantage of the breakfast, you are out of luck if you have any food allergies or sensitivities as the selection was small (cereals, bagels).

On the flip side, my room was fine, nothing fancy, nothing horrible. My shower was good as well. I was glad to see the hotel had shuttle service to Newark Penn Station - that was really helpful.

There was a shuttle to Newark Penn Station. Hotel is within walking distance to the NJPAC, and not too far from Ironbound.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank whosaidso8
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Got a good deal here during Labor Day 2011 weekend for a 2-night NYC trip. Hotel is less than 10min walk from Newark Penn station - there's shuttle service provided by the hotel, but since it's on demand, I found it faster to simply walk to the station. From Penn, you can catch PATH for 2.00, takes 22min to get to WTC or anywhere from 30-45min to New York Penn Station - 24/7 (watch PATH connections during the overnight on weekends - if you're unlucky, you may have to sit & wait at Journal Square for over 30min at 3AM). OR you can catch NJ Transit trains directly to New York Penn Station, and costs about $5 and is faster, but we didn't find out about this until our trip was over (and NJT service is very limited during the overnight) So if you're OK with a slightly inconvenient commute to avoid expensive NYC hotel rates, this is the place for you.
Location - not great, it's pretty seedy, so sometimes I was running to and from Penn station. You'll see the occasional sketchy person walking around, and they weren't huge threats but it makes for an uncomfortable late-night walk. Again, I wasn't picky, so it didn't ruin my stay.
Room - a bit dark and not very new, but most importantly bathroom & beds were comfy enough & in good condition. Also, there's free wi-fi. It's not luxury but it's functional for the non-picky traveller.
Other amenities - We only had breakfast. It was included, and was your typical continental breakfast, plus some microwaveable english muffin breakfast sandwiches. Not bad for what we paid for.

All in all, if you're hardy and don't mind roughing it a little for the sake of saving money and spending it in NYC, this is a fine hotel for doing that. I have no regrets in staying, but I have no urge to return to this hotel for my next NYC trip.

Room Tip: Make sure there's a sofabed - this may come in handy if you have more guests.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VTeight7
Monroe,Ga.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

I found the hotel to be convient for our need, to communte to and from NY, Car rental nearby. The room was decent, clean comfortable. the breakfast was adquate, people need to understand that continental, does not mean full spread. The shuttle service great, to the airport. resturants are nearby. The complaint that I have is the parking situation, the attendants were not helpful, they tell you to check to see if there is a park on the side, if not circle around, as if you want to circle a few times in the later evening when its cold.. Another minus the room was drafty, since the hotel has mixed the old with the new, the windows new and the doors, seem orginal, not a flush mount to the frame, to the point, the light from the hall can illuminate your room. However I would patronage again!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple