“One night stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Germantown, Tennessee
“One night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for one night after a vacation in Paris and before returning to our hometown the following day. The hotel lobby was spacious and the front desk staff were friendly and personable. We arrived on a Saturday therefore we weren't able to take advantage of the Concierge Lounge but were offered coupons for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The hotel room was of adequate size however the bathroom was small. The hotel hallways and rooms appeared a bit dated. I was surprised that there wasn't a safe in the room. Apparently at one time there was a mini bar but only the cabinet remained. Water pressure in the bathroom was good and there was plenty of hot water. A free hotel shuttle bus was available 24 hours to and from the Newark Airport and we took advantage of this service. Once at the airport we took the Newark Express bus into Manhattan for a cost of $16 per person, $8 dollars for seniors. The hotel shuttle drivers were very friendly and helpful and the bus shuttle ride to the airport is about 5 minutes. Our plane didn't leave until 8:30 t night the following day so the hotel stored our luggage until time to go to the airport. A nice and convenient place to stay on airport property if you need easy access to Newark Airport. Good price as well - $135 for a government rate.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank costumerppp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California Hot Springs, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

forced to find a hotel due to air flight layover in Newark, late at night took closest option-- the Marriott, price for room was $299, total bill including taxes was $400. What a rip off.. only good thing was the shuttle to the airport.

Staff wasn't so much rude, although there was the case of the inroom dining order taker, as just tired and indifferent. I almos felt as sorry for them, as I did for me having to pay so dearly just to bed down while waiting for planes to figure out flight schedules.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Luvtotravel1942
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do pride ourselves on our convenient location to Newark Airport for our guest’s arrival and departing flights. Your feedback is very important to us and we will be sure to share this with our Team. Thank you again.
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I had to stay overnight at Newark Airport due to flight cancellations. I made a reservation through the Marriott Elite number. When I got here, the front desk person told me that they could offer me the same room for a lower price. How's that for honest? I love it.

When I arrived, we were in the middle of torrential downpours due to Hurricane Arthur, and the power in the building was running on generators apparently. All the systems were down, the elevators were not working, and it was crowded and hot in the lobby. The staff here jumped right in and took care of each and every guest like they were guests in their own home. They offered free sodas and snacks to people in the lobby while they were waiting for the systems to come back up. There was some water in the lobby from the horrible storm, and the management team, guys in suits, were out mopping to make sure the guests were safe. Everyone chipped in, and it turned a potentially terrible situation into a pleasant one. Tempers didn't flare, and people were generally satisfied to wait until systems were up. KUDOS TO THE STAFF AND MANAGEMENT for keeping a bad situation under control and relatively peaceful and pleasant!!!!

My room was comfortable and very clean. The concierge lounge on the 10th floor is excellent. I am Platinum with Marriott and have been to many of these lounges around the country. This is one of the best, even in the midst of really bad conditions.

I will definitely stay here again if I need a place for the night near EWR airport.

Room Tip: If you can get a room overlooking the EWR runway, you can watch planes take off and land.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jafo777
orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

My mom and I had a 16 hour lay over from an international flight to Newark. We needed a place to get some rest and I had nfcef stayed at a Marriott before. This place was like an oasis. The staff was genuinely friendly, the room prices weren't too outrageous, and the rooms were spacious, comfortable, and CLEAN. Wherever I travel, I'm going to keep my eye out for a Marriott because I was thoroughly impressed with this place.

• Stayed July 2014
Accra, Ghana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights with my family at this hotel and more than enjoyed every bit of our time there.

The airport is just across the hotel and is walking distance if you don't have much to carry. The free shuttle service also runs almost 24 hrs. Had a little issue about using my points for a night but the friendly staff sorted it out so efficiently.

Would use this hotel again any day anytime.

• Stayed September 2013
Sint-Martens-Latem
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at the Newark Mariott Airport Hotel and have to qualify this place as OK but was a bit disappointed not to enjoy the Mariott experience I am used to in more sunny places. Moreover the room was small and so was the bed. I wouldn't recommend it to couples who move around in their sleep.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ben G
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to give us a review your recent stay. Your feedback is very important and I will share this with our team. We look forward to hosting you brilliantly in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Went with my son to an interview at this hotel. Spent most of the day in the lobby reading and watching people. This place is a mixing pot of the world. Constanly coming and going. The rooms are quite nice and very clean. The cafe in the lobby serves breakfast and lunch for sure, and I would assume dinner. Prices are very high at least from my perspective. Omlett with home fries and toast was $17, grilled cheese with small cup of tomato soup was $15. Juice was $5 a glass. Coffee was $3.50 at the coffee bar. We stayed the night and parking was an additional charge. I guess when you are so close to NY City you pay the price. It's a nice place but EXPENSIVE.........Life is short enjoy everyday......

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business