Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

As an airport hotel, most people are there a night or two. I spent eleven. The welcome was excellent and the staff in general were most pleasant (many I have recognized from periodic stays over the past ten years. Funnily enough, a couple of them recognized me too.)

The room was fine standard Marriott fare and nicely appointed. My closet was, however, about 2ft wide, which was unfortunate as I had plenty to hang in it. The ironing board thus lived out in the room for the duration, to make space. The room was well serviced and kept nicely clean. The duvet was on the thin side for winter weather, but since I was alone I could fold it double to get the comfort I needed.

The lobby, restaurant and bar were recently updated. I kind of miss the old dimly-lit "70's camp" Aviation bar lounge, but the new consolidated restaurant/lounge/bar set-up is very appealing. Table service was not good at all, so I chose to go to the bar itself, where the service was quick, attentive and cordial.

The Concierge Lounge was a bit too hectic and crowded for my taste, but the fare was up to standard. In the evenings they go above the average with the hot selection and an excellent homemade nightly soup. The attendants were all friendly and kept things stocked. Jacqueline in particular was delightful.

I'll be back again for another eleven night stay later in the year and will be happy to do so. Hopefully I'll get one of the rooms with a larger closet!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed here in February 2014 as part of a large group of Irish dancers. We chose this hotel because it was where the competition was being held and that made it the easiest choice. This is a four star hotel, and whilst it may get those stars from the quality of the rooms, they certainly didn't get it from their quality of customer service. One of the first, and biggest, issues I had with this hotel was the hidden costs we incurred when checking in. The rude woman on reception informed us that we were required to pay a $30 fee per room per night as a deposit in case we broke anything. This was on top of the $130 a night we had already paid. This took a huge $150 out of our shopping budget for the week. A number of us struggled to pay for the trip as it was and we were not informed about this charge when booking. None of the employees were particularly helpful, the acted like the hated their jobs and would rather be anywhere but in work. This is not acceptable for a four star hotel.
When we went to eat we were disappointed at the menu options. Either you paid $20 for a meat dish, plus tax and not including sides, or you paid $20 for the buffet. Neither of which were of a particularly high quality of food. We sat in a group of about 8-10 people every night and each of us opted for the buffet. Magically, the hotel managed to charge us a different price every night and hiked up the tax but charging each person at the table the tax and service charge for 10 people. This meant that each person at a table of 8 was paying approximately $18 in tax and service charge on top of their meal. Breakfast was the exact same.
There was a Starbucks station in the hotel but it did not have any opening hours listed. We got our coffee fix for the first couple of days without problem but then we were rudely told by a staff member that the station closes at 10am. We accepted this, after a bit of a debate, and asked for a coffee and the bar, his response was "i'm don't look after that section", he then walked away.

I could go on and on and ON about the staff in this hotel but I fear an ongoing rant. I would definitely not stay in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Aisling K
Reviewed March 29, 2014

You will be impressed by this airport hotel for sure! lobby/bar area has recently been redone and very nice. The staff was waiting in the lobby to greet you will a big hello and smile, so nice to see after a stressful day of traveling. Stayed for a meeting at the hotel and everything from the room to the food was great! And lets not forget its actually at the airport so it's one less thing to worry about!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We are elite Marriott members and have stayed at many of the Marriott brands in the U.S. and around the world. Our stay at the Marriott Newark Liberty Airport was our first disappointment. Upon entering the room we were greeted by a big ugly stain in the carpet. The carpet had not been vacuumed properly as there was other debris, hair and dust. The surfaces in the room although not dusty had sticky beverage rings. The room was just not up to Marriott standards and was not clean. On a positive note the breakfast included in our rate was very tasty. Although convent to the airport, I can not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Renaissance just a little further away.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chuckandmary
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We are passionate about providing brilliant service and product to all of our guests and it is feedback such as yours that helps us maintain our standards. We look forward to the opportunity of extending that to you on your next visit. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We arrived late for an early am flight. Lobby is really nice, hot chocolate was great since it was so cold waiting for the shuttle from the terminal to the hotel. Rooms were comfy and beds were great. Slept well and had easy check out in the morning. I wish it was $40 less for the stay but it was still good!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank rx7suzy
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed for only about 5 hours because of late flight arrival and early morning departure. Hotel appeared to be of Marriott's caliber except for the bed which was uncharacteristically quite uncomfortable. With that precious amount of time to sleep, it was really not restful at all :-(

Convenience to the airport terminals and the shuttle service was extremely convenient.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank island-gal-in-NJ
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I am fairly sure that this hotel is not a destination and is used by people (like me) who need to be close to the airport to catch an early morning flight. I arrived last night at 8pm and was warmly welcomed by the front desk staff who encouraged me to visit the concierge lounge. While the lounge was well stocked with both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, all I really wanted was a sweet treat. There were a few sad custards left and about half dozen people all asking for cookies. They eventually arrived but were just ordinary. The rooms, while clean, are very small and the bathroom is tiny. You have to walk in and maneuver around the door to get to the toilet. I know I could have stayed in the less expensive Marriott airport properties but past experiences at these did not make me want to return.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Our goal is to make your experience brilliant and we are glad to hear that you prefer to return to our hotel. We will share your feedback with our Team. Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#3 of 14 in Elizabeth
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Best Western Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!