“A great airport hotel”

Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I had two recent stays at the Marriott at the Newark airport -- one was planned and the second have a flight cancelled.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. I didn't get any noise from planes. The staff was friendly and very accommodating.

Note that you need a shuttle bus that runs about every 15-20 minutes. When I left early on a Saturday morning there was a bit of a line waiting for the bus. But it clearly quickly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank amasland
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel during both of your recent visits. Your feedback is invaluable and it truly helps us maintain the standard that you have come to expect from Marriott. Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay at our hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed for two nights, between flights. The location is right in the middle of the airport (is it possible to walk?) and my room was reasonably sized: presumably it was a double, since there were two double beds in it, but it would have been a little awkward for two people.

The checkin experience was a little odd. I had checked in online but that didn't seem to save me any time. What was offputting was the slogan, dutifully produced by the clerk, "We've been waiting for you". Perhaps this is a difference between British and American English, but to my ears it sounded like a rebuke for being late (my wife suggested that to a single woman it might even have sounded creepy). The ground floor is not very intuitive: the lifts are not visible from the checkin area and when you come down again it is not obvious which way to turn to get to the restaurant.

For some reason although my wifi was free, I was told that I would have to agree to pay and then have it refunded again on my bill, which it was. Another oddity.

Breakfast was good but expensive. I used the computer in the business lounge which is ridiculously expensive. There is a free option for printing boarding passes, which is presumably what most people want, but it cost me $5 to print a rail ticket.

I found the shuttle service convenient for getting to and from the airport and the railway station (via monorail stop P4) from where there is a frequent service into New York.

Overall a good place to stay but cheap.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank eldonista
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed here one night on the way home in order to get a connecting flight returning from a week long trip, and one night at another hotel just outside the airport on the way there. Comparatively, the King bed room at the Marriott was actually smaller and the rug looked older and less clean than at the other hotel. The bed and pillows were, however, very very comfortable. The check-in was quick and the front staff friendly, polite and accommodating. The morning wake-up call was on time. The shuttle waiting area at the airport is outdoors and in the colder weather you will need a coat. There was a line-up for the shuttle to go to the airport in the morning and some people had to wait for the next shuttle because there was not enough room. For a hotel this size they need to anticipate this for busy flight times, I believe. The reason it is rated as a three (I would actually rate it 3.5) is because for the cost there is better value and equal service to be found nearby, I believe. In addition, for the cost, certainly free WiFi should be a part of the price, not just in the lobby. Next time I will choose the place where I stayed the first night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are very fortunate to have so many reviews here on TripAdvisor and we greatly appreciate you adding your experience. We will review your comments with our team. We would like to let you know that we plan to renovate our guest rooms in the near future and we look forward to extending the experience of our new room product to you upon your return to our hotel. Again, we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

It's not cheap. The showers are edgy. The rest is OK.

But it took us 1 hour from the arrivals to the Marriott, which you can see in the middle of the airport..
But ground transportation is poor, as you have to change the trains a couple of times, depending from on from where you come, Then finally arrived in P4, you need to take a shuttle, which runs only every 20 - 30 minutes after midnight. There is a phone to call the shuttle, but nobody from Marriott picks it up. The receptionist told us later, that the shuttle also can be taken at the terminals, but nobody from ground transportation knew about it (we ask 3 people). We still do not know. You better take a cap.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheKitchener
Steve S, Manager at Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for your review of March 15, 2014, we appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to let you know that our shuttle runs continuously to all terminals at the airport. I do apologize that the airport ground transportation staff at the airport was unable to clarify our pickup locations. The next time you visit our hotel, please take note that you can pick up our shuttle as follows: Terminal A – from baggage claim head outside towards the exit and cross the street and wait by sign #4, Terminal B – from baggage claim walk toward the exit and go outside and cross the street and look for sign #5, Terminal C – from baggage claim walk toward the exit sign and go outside, cross the street to the first island and walk to your right and stand by pole #7. P4 is certainly another option if you are arriving via train. Thank you again and we look forward to providing brilliant service during your next stay.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed here overnight before our (very) early a.m. flight for our honeymoon. Hotel lobby is very nice and at check-in (at 6:30 pm) they had chicken wings as a happy hour snack they were handing out. Very nice. Lobby was clean, spacious and not too noisy or loud.
Check in was a breeze, the room was nice-standard Marriott. Like the I-pod docking station.
Concierge lounge was a tad on the small and crowded side, but not an issue.
Overall this hotel if you can get the right price is an ideal location flying in/out of EWR. It is the closest hotel to EWR and you can walk to the terminals from here but the shuttle comes frequently.
Next early a.m. flight I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brklynrider
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had stayed here awhile back so I thought I would do it again, based on the excellent location. As the hertz driver dropped me off, a very friendly doorman met me, and as soon as I walked in the door, two more well dressed people gave me a huge greeting. The checkin was fast and the woman decided to walk with me to push the elevator button for me. While I did not think it was necessary, it was nonetheless very nice. I ended up eating dinner there which was also good. The room was very quiet, and overall, it was a great stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Djrrossi
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Spent 2 nights here recently while attending meetings.
- The location is perfect - you can walk from the airport if you feel the need, but the shuttle runs often and the drivers are friendly and professional, plus if you have some free time, NYC is a rather quick train ride away or you can get a shuttle to the local outlet mall from the airport.
- The hotel has been revitalized in the last few years, and the lobby is warm and welcoming, much like the excellent staff.
- Meeting spaces are suitable for small groups (which we were) as well as large (there was a dance convention on at the same time).
- Food provided during the meetings, and from the Aviation Grill, was really great.
- Rooms are standard but clean and comfortable.

I can't give them 5 stars because room wifi is not free, but there is free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelBumm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
#2 of 13 in Elizabeth
Hilton Newark Penn Station
1 mi away
Best Western Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!