“Best hotel in Newark airport...but by standards of airport hotels not terrific”

Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the best hotel in the Newark airport area. It has regular shuttles directly to the terminals and the terminals are walkable. One of the big issues with Newark airport hotels is that the shuttles drop off and pick up only at the shuttle transit point (unless you are airline crew or tip nicely as drop offs and pickups for non-crew are not allowed). The airport shuttle train has irregular schedules between around 11 pm and 6 am and I have come close to missing early morning flights because of this and late night arrivals can similarly be a hassle (at other times, the shuttle is fine).

The hotel is fine. It has good rooms and an ok restaurant. Nothing is all that great though - the swimming pool is tiny, the fitness center is barely adequate, etc. Sometimes the prices are expensive -- and Newark airport usually has cheap lodging.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Buffalo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently for 3 nights, as I was in Newark to see some concerts at the Prudential Center. I chose this hotel because I was familiar with it as I've attended a couple functions at it before, and I got a great AAA rate, also the two hotels closest to the arena were either too expensive, or completely booked up. I also had a Marriott gift card that I was able to use towards my stay.

You can see the hotel from the airport, but you still need to get the shuttle, which will pick you up at your terminal (call the hotel to ask them where) or at the central hotel shuttle pickup at P4 (take the Airtrain from the terminal). I was going to do that, but instead got it at the terminal, it took me 2 phone calls to the hotel to find out where, as I misunderstood them the first time, but once I found it, they were right there. If I stayed here again, I would just get it at P4, which is where I should have gotten it as it would have been easier. Anyways, the shuttle runs 24 hrs a day, P4 has a phone you can call for pickup, but it's usually not needed, as if you wait for a few minutes, it usually comes by anyways. It's quick to get it from the hotel also, to your terminal, or to P4 if you're catching the train. The train to NYC is easy, just take the shuttle to P4 for the Airtrain to the rail station, and get it from there. NY Penn Station is 3 stops, Newark Penn Station (where the Prudential Center is) is just 1 stop.

Check in was quick, and I was able to get into my king bed room, room 709. The elevators have it so you have to put in your room key to access any floor, so that's a good safety measure. The room was a good size, clean (except for a stain on the bathroom floor that was never cleaned all during my stay, it was there when I checked in I think), with the bed, TV, desk, chair with footstool (I used the footstool as a luggage rack, as there wasn't one in the closet), the closet was small and had an ironing board, but no safe. This must be something new in hotels, as more and more I've stayed in recently haven't had a safe. The room was pretty quiet, being that the hotel is located right within the airport, I didn't hear any plane noise, the only noise I heard was the first night, there was some banging noise, but that was the only time I heard it, so it wasn't constant. I slept pretty well for being in a hotel. The internet in the room was $12.99 a day, which I don't like paying for, but did for one day, as I had to check some things that I couldn't check good on my phone. I still think it should be free, as it's such a common amenity now, and the connection wasn't even good (wi fi), it was actually quite slow.

I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant this trip, but did once before, in 2011, when I came to a function at the hotel. From what I remember of it, the food was good, but expensive, and the service was REALLY bad and slow, one of my friends never even got her meal! They didn't charge her for it, but really, the service was quite poor. I also know they used to have an Italian restaurant also, but I never ate there, and now it's not there anymore. It was there in 2010 and 2011 when I came to the hotel to attend a function in one of the meeting rooms. There is a small, but pricy, gift shop right next to the front desk (you pay at the front desk), and it's basically just snacks, drinks, toiletry items and newspapers. The floors have vending machines that are a standard price for a hotel ($2.50 for 20oz drink). I know the restaurant was open late too, as after the first concert I wasn't back until midnight, and after the second one, it was 1:00 AM, and they were still letting people come in, which is good if you want to get something late. I think room service also served until 1:00 AM.

The employees I encountered were all very friendly and helpful, I did hear some of them assisting people with directions to NYC, and for help to get back after the concert if needed (the hotel had a lot of Rolling Stones fans like myself staying there for the concerts).

I didn't use the pool or the fitness center, I used the business center just to print my boarding pass, which was free, there was a charge for the internet.

Overall, I'd stay at the hotel again if I had to be in Newark for something. I wouldn't stay there if I was mainly going to be in NYC, though. I spent the days in NYC this trip, and was only in Newark for the concerts and to be at the hotel, so I stayed there for the convenience of being in Newark for an event. I was pretty tired of NJ Transit after taking it a lot for 3 days straight, and it got kind of costly, also (I've taken NJ Transit before, just not so much in a short time period).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank BuffaloAmy
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have stayed at several hotels close to Newark Airport and this is my favorite. The front desk is always professional, the staff friendly, rooms are clean and the food decent. The location can't be beat and the shuttle runs constantly. The gym is excellent and a good place to let off some energy while traveling. Adding either a sauna or whirlpool would be a good idea to help travelers unwind, so this is the only shortcoming that I see. The rooms are small but exactly in line with what is expected in the New York City area (or any major city for that matter). Rooms prices are high unless you can find a special package or staying on a weekend. Their Park and Fly Package (when available) is excellent.

1 Thank Cathy023
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just came from 3 days New Year 2013 trip with Voyage Amerique from Montreal to New York. We spent 2 nights on 3-rd level room, very satisfied. Even it is near to the airport, is soundproof. I highly recommend this hotel.

2 Thank MariusA68
Varna, Bulgaria
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed for 1 night on our way back to the UK as it is the closest hotel to the airport. We stayed in other 5 star hotels throughout our 2 weeks in the USA and this was by far the biggest disappointment. We were given a room on the 3rd floor and I dont know who they usually reserve these rooms for but we were put here. The room needed refurbishing and the towels looked liked they had been around for a good few years. The bedsheet had a blood stain on it and the overall quality was less than youd expect for a 3 star hotel, let alone a Marriott hotel. Has a terrible nights sleep as the neighbours in seemingly all directions were changing rooms and slamming doors so when we were woken at 8.45am by a digger outside the window I wasnt impressed. I opened the curtains and there was a man on a ladder there putting tools down on the roof next to our room. As they are apparently expanding the hotel there was a building site outside of our window. I just felt cheated and wish id stayed anywhere else but there and now feel like I wont stay at Marroitt hotels anymore. Even though it is the closest to the airport, you still have to get a shuttle bus like any other nearby hotel so time saving is really minor all things considered. My advice is to stay somewhere else and not chance it.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott during a layover, and it was great. We got a low rate for booking it online in advance. The room was great, well stocked and luxurious. We ate at the restaurant downstairs and although expensive, we enjoyed it thoroughly. The shuttle to and from the hotel make this the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great place for business or as start up point on a way to nyc...surely amazing views for all those aviation freaks out there.;)...was there 4 times and everytime felt like at home;)having a lay over in the ny city area very covienient to the airport ..short shuttle ride or short walk especially to terminal B(international connection).hotel is within property of Newark Liberty Airport;)very popular with the airline crews

Room Tip: high floor ...looking towards the terminals ...