“A stylish hotel”

Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were there at the end of October having survived Hurricane Sandy before finding a flight out of Newark. It is an extremely well appointed hotel with most comfortable room and excellent restaurants which of course the price reflects. For an overnight prior to a flight you would hardly do better

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We chose to spend one night at the Marriott Newark Airport hotel after our 6 day stay in New York as we had a 5.45am flight next morning.

We were pleased we had chosen to do this as it was just so simple next morning to catch the shuttle directly to the airport. We were there within 5 minutes of leaving the hotel.

We had dinner in the restaurant of the hotel the night before and we each had the hamburger which was delicious. We had a good night's sleep and the bed was very comfortable and of course the hotel was extemely quiet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It's hard to argue with a hotel that is on the airport property except when they take advantage of their captive audience. Nice restaurant and bar but $12 for pancakes (no coffee in that), $20+ for a very average buffet, wow, even here that's too much and I don't appreciate it. Stuck with a business trip and no car, well you get the picture.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed here at least 10 times for work. It is a perfectly acceptable airport hotel. You can almost throw a rock at the airport & hit it it's so close.

Very nice gym with 6 treadmills, 6 elipticals, free weights, weight machines & 3 exercise bikes. Indoor/ outdoor pool. Outdoor section closed in winter. No hot tub. :( That's fine with me actually because we have one at home & I'd rather not sit in a tub full of strangers who may have not showered before entering.

Here today just 3 days after Superstorm Sandy. Electricity working fine & seems like a full staff of employees. Lobby quite full of people hanging out.

The bar didn't open til 4 & we were hungry so we went to Mangiare Di Casa. They had a lunch buffet available for $16. It was adequate. 2 tossed salads, cold cuts & cheese with assorted breads, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, mayo & mustard. Hot items included a hot Portuguese sausage soup, penne pasta with chicken in vodka sauce, meatball sandwiches, potato Kenish. Cookies & brownies for dessert. As we were leaving they were setting up the dinner buffet. It looked very good too. Liquor prices in the bar are very high. BYOB or abstain unless you have an expense account that covers booze.

Fairly quiet & comfortable bed with soft sheets. Not crazy about the smell of their toiletries. Too lemon furniture polish smelling.

1  Thank mauilover0517
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located to Newark Liberty International Airport. However, although it is literally across the street from the terminals, apparently you must still take a shuttle. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast in the concierge lounge was excellent. The hotel itself is old and a bit run down, the rooms are extremely small, and the bathrooms are smaller. We had a room with a door connecting to an adjacent room and the noise level was unacceptably high - we could hear conversations and the television in the next room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have an adjoining room.
1  Thank SusaDogue
Reviewed November 2, 2012

In most respects this is a normal Marriott with good standards of service you'd expect. The rooms, however, have some of the worst inter-room soundproofing I have ever encountered. I could clearly hear the conversations of the people in the adjoining rooms - I'm talking about being able to make out what they were actually saying - also when they made coffee, went to the bathroom etc.

Was also not impressed that, despite having a do-not-disturb sign on my door AND having arranged for a late checkout, I still had housekeeping knocking on my door while I was trying to sleep to find out when I was leaving.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

With easy access to the Newark Airport, this hotel made an very early morning flight feasible. The shuttle to the hotel was abit tricky to find after I de-planed. 'Had to take the AirTran to another portion of the airport complex and then wait for the shuttle. Once you've done it, it should be alot easier to repeat. I would never rent a car from Advantage (located in the hotel) again if I didn't have to. I felt alot of pressure to purchase add-ons and since I was delayed 4 hours, I was made to feel it was my fault that I didn't pick up the car on-time. It's always an uneasy feeling when the desk person begins the conversation with "Well, this is not good news....". The hotel was adequate and the shuttle was exceptionally convenient and timely from the hotel to the airport. If you can stay here for less than $100, it's a deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kendra C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
#2 of 13 in Elizabeth
Hilton Newark Penn Station
1 mi away
Best Western Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!