“Worst inter-room soundproofing I have ever encountered”

Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 2, 2012

In most respects this is a normal Marriott with good standards of service you'd expect. The rooms, however, have some of the worst inter-room soundproofing I have ever encountered. I could clearly hear the conversations of the people in the adjoining rooms - I'm talking about being able to make out what they were actually saying - also when they made coffee, went to the bathroom etc.

Was also not impressed that, despite having a do-not-disturb sign on my door AND having arranged for a late checkout, I still had housekeeping knocking on my door while I was trying to sleep to find out when I was leaving.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,726)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

With easy access to the Newark Airport, this hotel made an very early morning flight feasible. The shuttle to the hotel was abit tricky to find after I de-planed. 'Had to take the AirTran to another portion of the airport complex and then wait for the shuttle. Once you've done it, it should be alot easier to repeat. I would never rent a car from Advantage (located in the hotel) again if I didn't have to. I felt alot of pressure to purchase add-ons and since I was delayed 4 hours, I was made to feel it was my fault that I didn't pick up the car on-time. It's always an uneasy feeling when the desk person begins the conversation with "Well, this is not good news....". The hotel was adequate and the shuttle was exceptionally convenient and timely from the hotel to the airport. If you can stay here for less than $100, it's a deal.

1  Thank Kendra C
Reviewed October 24, 2012

No complaints - standard Marriott property and was quiet.

There is nothing else accessible to the hotel except the airport. Don't plan on a nearby restaurant (except those in EWR). I would guess that 90%+ of their business are 1-night folks with an early plane to catch. I returned a rental car the night before so I wouldn't have to waste the time in the morning, which worked fine.

Room Tip: Although almost adjacent to the Control Tower, this is not walk-able. Take the Air-train shuttle to...
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We have been staying here for years when we have early flights. It is a very painless way to get to the airport early. The transportation is very regular and if it is busy they put on extra vans. Check in is easy and fast, service has always been very good. This is a very busy hotel and the rooms are starting to show it. That being said it is still a comfortable hotel in a great location. Chatfields is a comfortable pubby kind of Bar that serves standard Marriott fare. They serve food until 11 or 12 which is nice if you arrive late. Definitely gets a 5 for location and ease of access to the airport. Rooms could use a refurb.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you opt to stay here, please note that is only convenient for access to the airport. If you need to leave the hotel, the taxi cab's will charge $20 one way for any trip, no matter how short. So, to leave the hotel for dinner, a drink, or to shop, you will need to layout $40 (minimum).

The hotel shuttle is only for running to/from the airport, so either bring a car or pick another hotel with greater flexibility. Management offers little help.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Only stayed one night because I had an early morning flight to catch. Dinner was quite good (roasted halibut over rice with a lot of vegetables), and the staff was attentive and pleasant. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet. The parking valets were great, and it was easy and fast to get to my terminal in the morning. Recommended/worth it to make morning flights, especially when you live 60 miles away from the airport, like I do! No need to worry about rush hour traffic issues, etc.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Like many others, I just stayed for 1 night, and was in the hotel for only a few hours, mostly sleeping. For that type of experience, the Marriott Newark Airport is very good. It's clean, comfortable, surprisingly quiet given its size and proximity to one of the busiest airports in the U.S., and is also very close to the Newark terminals.

The front desk service was excellent...rapid, professional, and hospitable, at check-in, check-out, and when I shamefully had to ask for toothpaste from the overnight crew. Also, one of the shuttle drivers, an Asian male, didn't hesitate to wait for others when I hopped in and requested to go to Terminal C. Driving safely, he zipped me directly there with a sense of urgency, which was appreciated.

Only two negatives: when I requested to retrieve the bags I stored after checking-out, a somewhat grumpy bellman had to be summoned from the lobby restaurant (don't know what he was doing in there) by someone who by his attire I presumed to be a front desk manager. The bellman snapped at the manager to "calm down" right in front of me as they both approached the closet. Not very pleasant for either me or the manager.

Earlier, a restaurant host who I believe was named Rudy glared at me suspiciously when I fixed myself a cup of $3 lobby coffee. Was I supposed to pay first? I don't think so, but even so, if I had known it came with a dollop of attitude, I would have waited to get a [cheaper] Starbucks at the airport.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#2 of 13 in Elizabeth
Hilton Newark Penn Station
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!