“Good Location and Well Run Hotel”

Hilton Newark Penn Station
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I stayed at this Hilton for the first time on Friday night. It's a solid, well run Hilton, certainly on the same level as any of the good downtown Hilton's. I chose this for convenience - Friday I had to be in New York City and Saturday in New Jersey. The location attached to Newark Penn Station was excellent. Quick trip to Manhattan and easy access to the NJ Transit Trains.

The hotel itself is attractive. My room was a comfortable, urban sized, King room with the wonderful Hilton beds. One note: if you are sensitive to noise, you may be out of luck. Downtown Newark is noisy and some leaks through. But no more than any other downtown hotel.

The staff were great - professional, helpful and unobtrusive.

To the management - you're doing a good job. Your staff seems proud of the hotel and are eager to let guests know about the area.

Something to know: Ferry St. in Newark (easy to walk to) is a Portuguese Brazilian neighborhood and is lined with excellent bakeries and small restaurants. Get directions from the desk and take a walk along it. It's a vibrant, fun street, not cute or pretty, but lively. You can get a double espresso, cafe com leite, at Our Daily Bread and a large Portuguese sweet roll for less than two dollars!

I'll be back at this Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
HiltonNewarkPenn, Director of Front Office at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2010

"I'll be back at this Hilton" ...this comment says it all. We are grateful for your review and your comments regarding the many features of our property that you enjoyed and appreciated. The goal of any business is to provide it's customers with the manner and level of service that keeps them coming back. We are happy that we have earned your loyalty. We hope that you will visit with us again very soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2010

Stayed in this hotel this past Saturday night for one night so that we could attend a NJ Devils hockey game. Even with our AAA discount, the rate was over $200 per night. For this rate, we had a small 2 bedded room which had a very small bathroom (bathroom was nice, but small). there were numerous cracks in the plaster of the ceiling and the wallpaper was dirty in a number of spots. Bedding was very soft and not very comfortable (we prefer firm bedding). Also found the inroom coffeemaker to be dirty. Hotel does not have a pool and there is a small fitness room with a few treadmills, elliptical machines and dumbells going up to 50 pounds. On the positive side, room had a large flat screen tv which had about 35 channels. Location is excellent, a short walk to the Prudential Center and just across the street from the train station. The staff at the front desk and the on site restaurant were friendly and attentive. Overall not a bad hotel but definitely not worth $200+ a night. unfortunately, if you want to stay in downtown Newark your only choices are the Hilton and the Best Western. We will probably try the Best Western next time if it is more affordable.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
HiltonNewarkPenn, Director of Front Office at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2010

Dear Hilton Newark Guest, Please accept our apologies for the disappointing stay you had. Although you found our staff friendly and attentive, which we are very happy to hear, we are deeply embarassed that our accomodations were not to your standards. Please be assured that we have noted your comments and will revisit these concerns in the near future. We take all of our guests' feedback seriously as we recognize that it can provide us with opportunities for improvement. We thank you for sharing your candid review of the Hilton Newark Penn Station and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 7, 2010

I just stayed a week at the Hilton Newark. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from Newark Airport that was on time. The drivers were friendly and courteous. The front desk desk staff and porters were excellent and offered friendly greetings each time I saw them. I felt that the hotel management does a good job in selecting the employees.
The rooms are not large but are adequate. The hotel has a good exercise room located on the lobby level that is open 24 hours a day. The restaurant is on that level as well and is conveniently open until midnight. A Starbucks is located right outside the lobby doors. Newark Penn Station is just a few minute walk away for easy access to Manhattan.
The only criticism I have regards housekeeping and Internet access. One day I used the two plastic cups initially provided but they were not replaced the next day when the housekeeper came through. Another night I came back late from Manhattan and found that a toothbrush and toothpaste had been dropped off in my room. I hadn't requested the items so it seems that some carelessness had resulted in their misdirection. On the positive side for housekeeping my TV remote didn't work at check-in and a replacement was sent up within minutes.
Internet access costs $9.95/day but is free in the lobby. I didn't like having to go to the lobby to check my email or pay the daily fee for the very limited use.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I was here on business. The hotel is very convenient to all of the Penn Plaza buildings. Was greeted by somebody everyday when i got off the elevator. Very nice touch. My housekeeper was named Carmen and she did an excellent job. The only downside to my visit here was that the bathroom was tiny but it is an older hotel. However, the high sink made up for the small bathroom. Shower was well lit and the water flowed great. The bed was great. A nice touch is that the room included ear plugs. Sometimes the cabs outside can be loud with their honking or the train station making announcements. this did not bother me. The restaurant on site was decent and a little cheaper than i thought it would be. There are a couple of good ones nearby as well in the Ironbound district. Just need to use common sense when going there. I only wish that a list of restaurants (and hours) was provided for Penn Station. Other than that will be returning next week to finish up.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

"Was greeted by somebody everyday when i got off the elevator. Very nice touch" ....thank you very much. The hospitality and service that we provide to our guests is one of the staples of our reputation. Our team members will go above and beyond to ensure that each guest is happy with our accommodations. If you should have the occasion(s) to visit the Newark area again we hope that you will continue to choose the Hilton Newark Penn Station.

Reviewed February 26, 2010

This hotel is right across the street from Newark Penn Station (and is also conveniently connected by a skybridge). This is a great convenience if you need access to the station for trips into Manhattan.

If you are driving to the hotel, traffic around the area is terrible and one of the entrances into the property is closed from 4-7pm (on a one-way street and you aren't aware that it's closed until it's too late), potentially requiring a frustrating pass around the block under the train station twice during heavy evening traffic. There is no valet parking and the garage is small with limited space, although the parking is fairly reasonable at $21 for overnight guests.

The hotel does have a concierge lounge, though it is quite small. There are about four tables with three chairs each. A continental breakfast is available in the morning and light snacks are available in the evening. The lounge is completely closed after breakfast until about 5pm and again after 10pm.

I had an upgraded king room on the concierge floor and I was disappointed with the size and the furnishings. While it was functional, based on the other rooms I expected something more modern and perhaps a little larger.

I heard the street noise frequently during the night. This is not uncommon in the NYC area, but perhaps it's worse here than at other areas in Newark due to the heavy traffic around the station.

I was very pleased by the service and friendliness of the staff in the hotel. Surprisingly there was no greeter at the door, but once up the escalator to the lobby there was a greeter and front-desk service was efficient. Received a good recommendation for dinner with good walking directions (they recommended Fornos of Spain, which I also recommend).

All in all, I would recommend this hotel if proximity to the trains at Penn Station is a consideration. Otherwise, particularly if you have a car, I suggest staying elsewhere. Parking really was a huge hassle and took a lot of time both coming and going. If you want to stay with the Hilton chain, I preferred my stay at the Hilton Newark Airport, and the rate was less than half the rate at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank houag
HiltonNewarkPenn, Director of Front Office at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2010

We are grateful to you for sharing your comments. We do often hear from our guests who are pleased with our location and convenience to major sites of interest. However, we do regret to hear that your stay was not completely without challenges. Providing our guests with excellent service is certainly our priority. Navigating and parking are challenges common to the inner city. However, our bell staff, front desk team and the staff of the privately owned parking facility adjacent to our hotel are available 24-hours if our guests require directions or other assistance. A member of our management team is also always available to quickly respond to any matters regarding guest satisfaction. We hope that you will consider making the Hilton Newark Penn Station the hotel of your choice again.

Reviewed January 9, 2010

We stayed 4 days here. Dec. 30 - Jan. 3. The Hotel is attached to Newark Penn Station through a Pedway. It makes getting to NYC very easy. You have a choice of NJ Transit Train $4. ($7. return). It takes you to NY Penn Station. The other opiton is Path (whic takes alittle longer), it costs $1.75. You can go to either World Trade Centre or 33rd St. on it. Although, at non rush hours (evenings, wknds & Holidays) the Path to 33rd does go to Hobokan which does increase the length of the trip. NJ Transit is quicker, but it's also a little trickier to figure out. Especially when your coming from NYC Penn Station.(You have to check out the Train schedule board, it is quite something, god knows how old it is. No LED here, it had spinnny things for each number/letter. NEw York Penn had the same thing)

The Hotel itself is very nice. We got there at 11:00 am and we're able to check in as our Room was ready. It's a different setup as the Lobby is on the 2nd floor (level you enter from if arriving by train. 1st floor is for those catching Buses, Taxi. etc.. Not sure about your own vehicle as we weren't doing that.

The Room was nice. Comfortable King size bed, LCD 40" TV. Clean and well maintained. The bathroom is a little small, but if you've ever been on a Cruise ship, then a bathroom this size is not a problem. I liked the table lamps because they all had extra power outlets on them. Great for recharging Cameras and laptops. One thing missing that I would have liked would be a Fridge, it would have cut down my trips to the Ice machine ;-(

The Restaurant turned out to be a pleasant surprise. We had two meals there, and one for Room service. Food was pretty good. Service was really good. Yes, price was a little high, but not out of the ordinary for a hotel. There's all kinds of fast food and cafes around (Penn and Mall/Office complex), if the Hotel Restaurant doesn't suit you. Liquor store is in Penn Sation as well.

One other plus of this hotel, is the distance from Prudential Center. We went to a Devil-Penguins game. We walked to the Center, it took maybe 10 minutes, and most of it was done inside, thanks to Pedways. When you exit the building to go outside, the Center is across the street..

I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone looking to visit NYC, The one negative would be, if your get a little wore out walking around NYC, you do have to make that 20-30 min train trip back to the Hotel. The hotel isn't a Destination type hotel either, with a Pool and activities. It would be your typical Businees type hotel, which suited us just fine. As we weren't there to visit Newark, I'm not sure what is available outside of the Hotel complex other than the Prudential Center. It seemed to be in a Business area.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
HiltonNewarkPenn, Director of Front Office at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

The administration and staff at the Hilton Newark Penn Station are grateful that you took the time to share your comments regarding your experience at our location. We are constantly striving to be the best.

Having reviewed your comments we do wish to note that mini refrigerators are available to our guests based upon request and supply. Guests need only to ensure that the refrigerator request is noted in their reservation or mention the request when checking in at the front desk.

Please feel free to contact our location directly if we can provide additional information or be of any assistance to you. We thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

accommodating. The only issue I had was the noise from doors slamming in the hallways. Specifically the door to the linens was large and heavy and staff entering and exiting would let it slam. Why they would fit the guest room doors with devices that prevent slamming and not the other doors seems like an oversight and/or cheap on the Hilton's part.

The hotel is joined to Newark Penn station and for $7 you can do a return trip to New York Penn Station which was great. The comfortable train ride was about 20 minutes. You can also take the PATH train downtown but I never took it.

There's are a few food options in the area but it's not easy to distinguish what would be good from what wouldn't. Hotel food and drinks are as expected expensive.

All in all it was a positive experience and I would stay at the hotel again when visiting New York city but not wanting to pay New York hotel prices.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Hilton Newark Guest, Thank you for your review. Our apologies for the noise you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that your concerns have been shared with the appropriate personnel and will be revisited upon future upgrades. We are so glad to hear that despite this minor issue, you were still able to have enjoyable stay and would undoubtedly stay again in the future! We eagerly anticipate your return and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Newark Penn Station in the future!