“Great service, to bad the res didn't live up to it...”

Hilton Newark Penn Station
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Great service, to bad the res didn't live up to it...”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

The front desk staff at check in and the wait staff at Market Street Bar & Grill were great. Really seemed concerned that I was pleased.

The location while it may be handy to Penn Station is just down right, well ugly. The area is vry depressing. Maybe that is why I don't live here.

The room (JR Suite) was of averae size. the last Hampton Inn & Suites I stayed inn had a larger standard room.

The wall paper was very shabby (room 615) coming apart at the seems and dirt smuges in various locations.

te bathroom reminds me of the bathroom on the airplane I took earlier today. TINY.

I keep hearing this a value VS the New York hotels. I don't think this is how it should be looked at. For $189. per night it should be clean through-out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank 16weekayeartraveler
HiltonNewarkPenn, Asst. Front Office Manager at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
Please accept our apologies for the disappointing stay you had. Although you found our staff friendly and attentive, which we are very happy to hear, we are deeply embarrassed that our accommodations were not to your standards. Please be assured that we have noted your comments about the condition of room 615 and will revisit these concerns in the near future. We take care of all our guests’ feedback seriously as we recognize that it can provide us with opportunities for improvement. We thank you for sharing your candid review of the Hilton Newark Penn Station and hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Quebec
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights. Very convenient location, next to Newark Penn Station. Felt safe going from Penn Station to our room with 2 kids (8 and 9) even when we got back from the city around 11PM.

They gave us a room with a King bed instead of 2 double beds. Went back to the desk and they changed it in a minute. Very nice staff.

A little noisy, mainly street noise, but not that bad.

A very good choice if you want to visit Manhattan but don't want to pay 300$ a night...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
HiltonNewarkPenn, Director of Front Office at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
Dear Hilton Newark Guest, Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that despite a few minor challenges (which our staff promptly attended to) you were able to have a very enjoyable stay and would undoubtedly stay again in the future! Guest satisfaction is our priority. Our staff and management team are always available to assist with any question or concern. We appreciate your recommendation of our property. We eagerly anticipate your return and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Newark Penn Station in the future!
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This hotel is located right next to the Penn station. Rooms are average. They do not have any assistance for luggage ( I mean, no porters).. You are required to carry your luggage upto your rooms, which I found it very un-comfortable. Reception counter staff were very pleasing the day I checked out. But the day I checked in I found the lady behind the counter very arrogant. The bar on the Lobby level was nice. Good service. Otherwise all in all a average hotel. It just has a location advantage.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Dear Hilton Newark Guest, Thank you for your review. Our sincere apologies for the disappointing service you received during your stay. Please be assured that our reception teams have been addressed since your review was posted. We are sincerely embarrassed by your experience and will do everything to prevent it from happening again. Despite this shortcoming, we are glad that you found our location and proximity to sites of interest to your liking. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope you allow us the opportunity to change your mind about our service by staying with us again in the near future!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I stayed at the Newark Hilton Penn Station as part of a business trip to Seton Hall Law School. The hotel is located kitty-corner to the school (I could see the school entrance outside my hotel window) and also connects to Penn Station via a skybridge.

Traveling between the Hilton and Newark Airport is incredibly easy. You can either take a quick train to/from Penn Station, take a 15-minute cab ride, or use the hotel's van shuttle service. Be aware that the shuttle only runs on the hour from the hotel and at the bottom of the hour from the airport. If you're in a rush, opt to take a train or a cab. Obviously, Penn Station will also provide you easy access to NYC.

The service here was great. EVERY member of the hotel staff said "hello" or gave me a smile; some even asked how my day was going.

The room itself was a standard king-size bedroom with ample closet and drawer space. The bathroom was definitely small but with plenty of counter space. The windows had both translucent and blackout curtains (for letting in sun but retaining privacy). Bonus for business travellers such as myself: the desk lamp has two extra AC outlets AND a six-outlet adapter was included under the desk. LOTS of outlets for charging computers, phones, iPods, etc.

I ate at the Market Grill on the lobby level for dinner one evening. Food was delicious--chicken piccata with orzo pasta. The waitstaff even allowed me to take the food "to go" so I could work in my room. Another plus: a Starbucks is located right off the lobby as well along with a (non-hotel operated) deli and newsstand. Although I didn't use it, room service is available until midnight.

As a single female, security is always of utmost importance--particularly somewhere like Newark. Not once did I feel as though safety was compromised. The lobby elevators actually require keycard access after 7 p.m., and the front desk staff is always present and in plain view.

Be aware that internet access here--wireless or not--comes at a $9.95/day price. The hotel has its own 24-hour fitness center and business center, and it's also connected to a New York Sports Club (which can be used for an additional fee).

Should I need to visit Newark again, I will definitely consider staying here for the transportation and amenities convenience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Dear Hilton Newark Guest, Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you had a pleasant stay with us! Thank you so much for the recommendation! We hope to see you again on your next trip to New York City!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2009

After a long day of cross country travel for work I was simply grateful to have a place to drop my suitcase, take a shower and lay my head down to sleep. Little did I know that the I would wake up to find a few marks on my arms. As the day went on I was to discover bite marks on my back, my legs, my neck, and my face...Being a mosquito magnet I wondered how I was being bitten by mosquitos when my colleagues were not but did not think much about it. After a little bit of research I realized that bed bug bites do not always show up right away and can take up to 11 hours to surface - My night of rest at the Hilton resulted in 35 bite marks all over my body - confirmed by my doctor to be bed bugs...so customers beware.

I have contacted the hotel and the public health department!

• Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Letipeguero
banstyk, Director at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
Upon receipt of this complaint, we immediately contacted our pest elimination company. They conducted a thorough inspection of the room and it was cleared for use.

Along with the safety of our guests, the cleanliness of our hotel is of the hotel utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing guests with a great experience. Hotel guest rooms are cleaned regularly by trained staff.

We are proud of our efforts in this area, which are reflected in the satisfaction and loyalty of returning guests to our hotel and our brand.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Hotel is located next to the Newark Penn Station and has a covered pathway to the station. We drove there but had missed the parking that next to the hotel. So keep your eyes open, parking is not free but you can validate that with the hotel front desk and this will allow you to go back and forth if you want. Rooms were clean,comfortable & friendly, had a flat screen LCD TV, bathroom was nice and clean too.

In terms of travel convince to New york it can't get better without the New York Prices.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Located next to the Penn Station at Newark. Parking is convenient and safe with in and out privileges. Customer service overall is close to a 10. Room is very clean except that it is a bit on the small side. Bathroom can be a bit tight depending on the room. We stayed there on 2 different dates. Regular double bedroom's BR was a bit small but the handicapped double bed's BR was more spacious except that it is a shower w/o bath tub.
Train rides into NY are frequent but takes about 20 minutes to WTC.
Parking, business center, and internet use are extra. Downside - no pool, can be abit noisy if you are a light sleeper because it is close to the street.
Overall, we still liked it because the rooms are updated and clean and close to Path with covered walking path to the hotel. Well worth the money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family