“Hilton Newark Penn Station”

Hilton Newark Penn Station
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Brooksville, United States
“Hilton Newark Penn Station”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Excellent Hotel. Staff is absolutely wonderful and greats you with a warm smile and a commitment to ensuring your stay is great. They continue to upgrade the quality of the rooms and amenities to improve the total stay experience

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Newark, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Enjoyed my stay in the Hiton Penn Station hotel. I attended the ABLE Reunion Conference at the hotel weekend of Oct. 4-6. All Hilton facilities were Excellent (lobby, confrence rooms. my hotel room). Hotel employees helped out in every function of the hotel. Only one area challenged me: using my room key card to operate the elevator. Took me several attempts to get the elevator to read my room key.

Oswego, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Called front desk for service. Service never arrived. Hilton Hotel is in a great location in New Jersey. Group rates for the rooms were excellent. Restauant attached to hotel is a rip off. Breakfast was $22 each for the buffet. For 2 adults the bill came to $51.00 for breakfast. Outragous.

Olney, MD
Reviewed October 8, 2013

A shabby hotel with worn rugs and outdated furnishings but with a great location across the street from the Penn station. Hilton should modernize this hotel to be more in line with the prices that it charges.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Blairsville
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was connected to a cruise. We picked this particular hotel because its price was almost half of Manhattan hotels, it's safe location at the covered terminal into Manhattan and good TripAdvisor reviews.

I agree with reviewers who were happy with the location of the hotel; however, the location is not right for certain people like me. I have trouble walking and I am very unfamiliar with mass transit.

Our plan was to arrive Friday, and to go into Manhattan for dinner, Then on Saturday we were going to ride the Circle Line boat and the hop on hop off bus.

I have never lived in a big city and hardly ever taken mass transit. By the time we took the shuttle (which only ran once an hour) from the airport to the hotel and checked in on. Friday it was 5 pm. We walked to the terminal only to encounter loads of people rushing home for the weekend. We were the proverbial fish swimming upstream! It was quite an experience for us! My husband and I opted to go back to the hotel for dinner.

The next day, Saturday, the transit was nearly empty and we were able to figure it all out at a more leisurely pace.

Now, I will review the hotel. We liked it. I had asked for a quiet room, but the traffic made it hard for me to sleep. But, I recognize that I was in a big city, so noise is a part of the experience. Unfortunately, we were awakened several times throughout the night due to girls in a big wedding party who decided to fight in the hallway and slam doors until staff finally got them quiet around 3 am.

I didn't find the hotel staff to be particularly friendly or helpful, the room was clean and well maintained.

The highlight of the hotel was the dining room/bar. The food was great, service was quick and very friendly. The manager was incredibly good. We had dinner and breakfast there 2 times each.

I would not stay at this hotel again if I was going for a longer visit to New York. However, for a 2 night stay prior to or following a cruise, the hotel is adequate.

The shuttle from the airport to the hotel was a big disappointment. It only comes every hour.

People who were cruising on Celebrity were using a package that included transportation to the cruise port. There were so many of them that it looked like a big mess with people waiting long periods of time.

We used a taxi which was $48.00.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the concierge level.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SharronLL
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a quick trip to NYC. We stayed at the Hilton Newark Penn Station hotel because of it's location. It's just outside NYC so it's much more affordable than staying in the city and it's right at Newark Penn Station so it was very convenient to travel in and out of NYC. The hotel itself was good but as I said, the best part about it was the location and convenience to traveling in and out of NYC. The only "downside" is that once we left the hotel, we didn't feel like we could go back and to take a break. We were out and about NYC everyday for the whole day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We arrived following a cruise at about 9 a.m. Quite a distance from the Cruise Ship Terminal but close to the airport. Surprisingly our room was ready when we arrived. We took our bags up and then headed into NYC for the day. We picked this hotel because it was connected to NJ Transit and we knew the area was not the best in the world and we were expecting to arrive back after midnight. Going to NJ Penn Station was a breeze. However, when returning from NY at 1:45 a.m. we found that the doors were locked from the terminal to the hotel. A guard at the transit station told us we would have to go around. We walked around the station and through some very unsavory folks/streetpeople on sidewalks to get to the hotel. Not what we had planned on but with 4 of us I felt safe enough. Also, we asked to leave for the airport at 5 a.m. for our flight. We were assured that the shuttle ran 24/7 on the hour. We were there along with others at 4:50. When 5 a.m. rolled around we went to the desk to inquire. They said someone was supposed to be here. About 10 minutes after 5 someone showed up but said he was not the scheduled driver but he would accommodate us by taking us to the airport. We were very grateful for his service. The room was large with 2 double beds and a very clean bathroom. Desk staff was helpful and nice.

Room Tip: Get clear instructions about using the bridge to the transit station when returning late at night...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple