“outstanding”

Hilton Newark Penn Station
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is an excellent hotel. Well located, well managed. Front dsk staff eager to please. Friendly and helkpful clean and convenient. Great value Highly recommended. All staff eager to please and widl go to great lengths to do so.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank arnold s

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The location of this hotel was excellent since we were attending a Norwegian Cruise Line tour of the new ship, The Breakaway! We were able to take the train into Manhattan and get a taxi to the cruise port terminal.

The one disappointing thing about the hotel was the fact that we paid for a concierge room, but were given a regular room by the elevator...lots of noise there! Fortunately, we only stayed one night so it was manageable, but for the price we paid we could have stayed in the city and avoided all the train trips!

Due to our early morning departure to get to the ship tour in time, I was not able to register a complaint.

As a travel agent, I don't know that I would recommend this Hilton simply because I want my clients to get what they paid for without them, or me fighting for it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank p3couple
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a job to find a New York city hotel that catered for a family with two teenagers at a reasonable cost. Therefore, we chose this hotel due to its cost and the incredibly easy access to NYC via PATH (20 mins to WTC). We also used the station to catch Amtrak to Washington DC.
After getting a taxi directly outside Newark Liberty International Airport (Cost $20 but we gave $25) to the hotel, we were guided by very polite Hilton porters to the escalator for level one. I initially thought this very odd to have an escalator to the front desk, but once we were booked in, I realised this was fantastic for the direct adjoined tunnel to Newark Penn Station. I had been informed by reviews about the possibility of unsavoury characters loitering about the vicinity, but honestly, we didn't find a problem with it. Yes, there are a few people about, but they do NOT bother or harass you like countless do in NYC!
The Hilton staff were incredibly welcoming, friendly and helped us in any way.
The room itself was on the 8th floor and we had a front view of the station. It was very clean, quiet and the beds were incredibly comfortable (ensuring we slept well each night). Having a room safe was also reassuring. Aircon was effective and quiet. Plenty of towels and toiletries for everyone. Nice too have a separate hairdryer so I could dry my hair in the main room, whilst one of my family could have their shower.
My sons tell me the gym was also excellent! In fact, we stayed in a total of 13 hotels on our trip and this gym was by far the best, they say. Wi-fi in rooms cost $12.95 per day, but it is FREE in the lobby and computer room. There was also a small shop, which supplied some snacks and certain essentials.
Adjoined to the hotel is several convenience outlets such as a cafe, Starbucks, newsagent etc. As breakfast was not included, we thought using one of these outlets for something to eat would be fine, but unfortunately, we found them closed. We were very early every morning, and I'm not sure what the opening times are...maybe their opening times is something the hotel could pass on to their hotel guests.
The only problem I personally found was the sink in our bathroom (deep in depth) which was so high and the mirror on the wall was some distance on the back wall. If you are short sighted and reasonable short like me, you will have a job to see to remove or apply one's make up! I could use the full wall mirror in the room, but I like to do this regime in a bathroom, personally. Oh, and the room could do with a small fridge to place a small pint of milk etc.
We would definitely use this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Blue30
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the past four years for both family vacation and for business. I just can't say enough about the amazing service and care the staff at the Newark Penn Station Hilton provide. It is hands down one of my favorite places to stay. It is easy to get into the city, eat and park! The manager is professional and remembers returning guest. It is the way staying at a hotel should be like.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Chrissyguest
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here to avoid the steep prices in NYC. It is convenient to get into NYC as it is attached to Newark Penn station. However, with kids I would recommend staying in Manhattan as you can stay out longer and just take a cab back to the hotel rather than using trains. I didn't find it that convenient getting back to the hotel as Penn station in Manhattan is large and confusing with lots of people and Newark Penn is also large and it is hard to find way back to hotel walkway. There are trains (PATH) into the city but we didn't take these, maybe they are easier to use than NJ transit. With a 3 year old, I would stay in the city next time just for more convenience. This hotel is more suitable for adults without young kids who want to avoid going up and down stairs with strollers and toddlers in large, very busy train stations.

The hotel service is EXCELLENT, they go out of their way to help. Rooms are as you would expect. Beds are full rather than queen, bit small for family of 4.

Dunkin donuts available in walkway for cheap breakfast. Rooms are a bit noisy - noise of honking cars from street below comes up to 5th floor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank salmoncake
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed hear for a Business trip in NJ. Due to scheduling I had free time in the afternoon and evenings so this hotel made it easy to catch my meetings then return to the hostel and catch the train to NYC. Round trip $5:00. And the hotel has covered elevated walk right to Penn Station NJ. One way trip to the city approx 20 min.
Hotel and staff were very friendly and helpful since I had never been to the area. But with the convenience to NYC without the NYC Cost made for a reasonable site seeing / business trip

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Chose this hotel as a cost effective alternative to Manhattan. The rooms here are basic Hilton (comfortable beds, reasonable finish, clean and safe) but on the small side. Two other features raise this hotel's rating: the Staff is enthusiastically friendly and the Train/Bus station is right across the street. The hotel staff impressed me from the minute I walked in until I was leaving the building. They were there to make my travel experience better and I loved it. Having Newark Penn station across the street makes going anywhere easy. 30 minutes max to NYC theater district or WTC, local bus to Newark sites and Amtrak to anywhere means no rental car is necessary. The hotel also provides a free shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family