“Not likely to come back” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
STOP CLICKING AROUND
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Not likely to come back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed here for meetings in the area, because of the Newark location. This is not a property I am going to come back to, unless all other options are sold out. Service is reasonable, but no one goes out of their way to please you, for example, small perks like a bottle of water to Hilton Honors guests are not given here. But the worst is not that they don't give you the small things, but the bigger things that you don't get. The small gym has two treadmill, out of which one doesn't work and on one of the two stepper machines the screen didn't work, so my workout went south waiting in line. Every time you access the parking lot you have to wait in line at the front desk to get your ticket validated, so if you drive in and out, you'll find yourself standing in line most of the day.
I'm a frequent Hilton guest, with silver status, but this stay has made me start thinking that I should broaden my horizons to other chains.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dan G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Great location for this hotel. The staff is very welcoming and helpful however the rooms are getting to be a bit run down. In need of a remodel... but still nice! There was no luggage rack etc in my room which was a bummer and the rooms are not very soundproof. This hotel has a lot of traffic and parties going on it seems like. Tunnel connects you to the train into the city, which makes shopping very easy, and the hotel is a way better value then staying in Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jarod M
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Hilton is a lower standard hotel. It is old and dirty. In the floors and in the rooms there is additionally a bad smell. At night it is very loud because it is directly situated at a very large street.
There is only one benefit: you can easily access New York using the train that starts at Penn Station.
But is you have another choice, don't go there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank kerhol
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton, Newark, NJ right after Hurricane Sandy. However, I was fortunate enough to be there for a joyous occasion- a wedding. The accommodations were nice, but nothing special. I didn't get the door held for me (one of my favorite hotel perks that make me feel special). I was also utterly surprised (especially after the storm) that the Hilton charged for internet service in their rooms. I thought that they would have waived that fee, knowing how many people were displaced due to the storm. You also HAD to pay the $22/day parking rate. When I got to my hotel, there were some amenities missing in the bathroom and I had to find a maid in the hall to stock up. I just think there were some little touches that were lacking- the hotel did not go out of their way for me. I mean, it's the Hilton, I was expecting perfection. Doubtful that I will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank penelope_NJ
Rome, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've stayed at many hotels so I know what to expect. First off the price is way too much for what you get. We were charged 160 + tax for one night. For that price I expect a pool and hot tub and access to a nice neighborhood with a lot of nice places to eat. I also expect an internet or wifi connection to be included with the price. We had none of this. There was a tunnel with nice stores and some places to eat, but on a mid Saturday afternoon everything was closed except the hotel's bar and Subway. We ended up eating at a nearby Dinasaur BBQ which was ok, but it was really the only other choice we found (except for fast food at the train station).
The hotel wanted an additional 12.95 per night for wifi service. Someone is making a lot of profit on that (AT&T or the hotel).
Taxes on the room was a crazy 20 dollars thanks to NJ and Federal taxes. Could have stayed in downtown NYC for not much more and had all the amenities including excellent location.
Someone left a pair of socks by the hair dryer in the bathroom. View was terrible. Curtains wouldn't close to keep the early morning light out. There was a vent, but no working fan in the bathroom. Remote control had visible scum on it between the buttons. Beds were nice and comfortable and TV was nice. Heard police sirens twice. Not sure how common that is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeffrey D
Redlands, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived from a cruise ship two days after Hurricane Sandy went through. Thank goodness we had reservations here, staying for 3 nights. Great value, economical, and right across the street from Newark Penn train station. We took the train into NY city each day for only $5. Bell hops were great, storing our luggage securely until it was time to check in. Desk staff were always courteous and helpful. We used the lobby computer to print our boarding passes, free of charge. The only hiccup was at the hotel cafe, where they dropped our entire breakfast on the floor and took another 20 minutes to cook it again, rather than offering us the buffet instead. In the evening however, the appetizers and cocktails were a great way to end the day, and the evening wait staff was super. Street noise was at a minimum, with well insulated rooms even though we faced the street. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank JOHN V
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My g/f and I were staying at the Hilton during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy here in New Jersey. It was VERY difficult to find hotel rooms since thousands of people had no power. We stayed at the Hilton last Wednesday and Thursday. (Oct. 31 and Nov. 1) The hotel was very nice. But I especially want to compliment the staff and management. They extended our stay under particularly trying circumstances...when EVERYONE was desperate to find a place to stay. I appreciated VERY much the effort the hotel staff made for us. I live very close to this hotel...about an hour away. So, it's likely I won't be staying there again. But, if there ever is a need to stay in a hotel near me...I would DEFINITELY come back to this Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
Hotel Indigo Newark Downtown
Courtyard Newark Downtown

Been to Hilton Newark Penn Station? Share your experiences!