“Super-convenient via shuttle from EWR, clean and safe”

Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersGold level
Sterling Heights, MI
“Super-convenient via shuttle from EWR, clean and safe”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is a very nice choice. I took the Friday evening 5:03 train from Manhattan Penn. The free hotel shuttle picks up at 15 minutes and 45 minutes after the hour (at Newark Liberty's AirTrain station, stop P4). The hotel staff is very courteous and the rooms are clean. Although there is a lot of road noise, there was a contractor constructing a brand new fence while I visited. I believe that will block some of the road noise. The downstairs bistro is open even on the weekends, and the front desk will place an order for you and then call you when your order is ready.

When I got to the Airtrain station, I called the wrong Courtyard (there's one in Edison that also has a hotel shuttle). I realized my mistake just as the front desk operator was asking for my name. It's clear the hotels have encountered this before, and the great shuttle driver from the Courtyard EWR verified that I was registered at the one closest to the airport. It's nice that the hotels work together to make sure guests don't get mixed up.

I stayed on business in between two trips (to avoid going home on Friday night and then having to fly back to Newark on Sunday). On Saturday morning, there was no hot water. I asked at the bistro and the clerks told me there had been a brief boiler problem but that it was already fixed and I should find the water hot by the time I got back to my room. They were correct. I also liked that the bistro clerks worked together (one rang my order and one made my coffee - the service was courteous and cheerful).

The only suggestion I would make is that it would be nice if the room had a refrigerator and microwave. I was surprised mine didn't have one (I'm a Marriott Elite member). It's a minor issue, though. I probably could have asked for a different room (I had asked the front desk staff to concentrate on quiet, not amenities). Several times during the night, I heard a car alarm or security alarm go off. It may have been related to a vehicle parked by a hotel guest or some other issue - I'm not sure the hotel could have done anything about it.

Room Tip: Because it's close to one of the nation's busiest airports, it's going to be noisy. As w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank professordoctormom
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you so much for this awesome review, it is really appreciated, I am so lucky to work with an outstanding team and delighted to hear about them over communicating with each other to make the guest experience so much better. I will be sure to commend all the staff working this past weekend for providing excellent service.

You will be delighted to know that in early 2013, we will complete the following building improvements, fridges, upgrading the bathrooms, new closet doors and changing the carpet, in every single room.
Once again thank you and happy traveling.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here on a two day visit to New York. absolute nightmare to find, after two hours was about to give up and book elsewhere. Satnav could not locate it.
When finally we did arrive the room was lovely and clean. Pool facility nice but freezing water in the pool, hot tub brilliant. Transfer to airport super, driver very good. Able to leave our bags before our evening dept to Uk so we could go sightseeing in NYC. Food ok but fairly expensive for what was on offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you so much for this nice review, I am delighted that the team were able to make your stay comfortable and productive.
Indeed there is a challenge locating most of the businesses on this stretch of highway due to it's unique name and the merge of so many roads for Newark Airport.
We do have some great tips on our website or I would recommend calling the hotel prior to arrival, so that we can answer any questions that one might have. Happy traveling. GB
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed there for the weekend, while touring NYC. Hotel overall gives overall impression of being a great clean place ... far from it though. Only good thing was the food, breakfast and dinner were great, but other than that ... hotel overall is just not that clean. From bloodied towels, to dirty bed sheets, to a broken sofa bed, a shuttle bus every half hour where every other hotel/motel ran every 15 mins ... definitely would not stay there again, and would recommend to others to avoid if possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank itsMoe
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your candid review and I am sorry that you did not have the experience that we strive to provide, as you can see from the many previous reviews your experience is not typical.
We take all comments on this awesome forum seriously and your review will assist greatly on our journey to provide great experiences to every guest every day.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Manager on Duty during a hotel stay so that the business has every opportunity to make a great impression. Happy traveling.

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights. It's a convenient location to Newark Airport, and the shuttle runs every half hour to the airport. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is great. However, the housekeeping in this hotel has got to be the worst I have ever seen!!! To start off the bed sheets for the sofa bed were dirty (dried bodily fluids), but was folded nicely for use. We called them to get new sheets and that arrived about 15 minutes later. The next day, used towels were just hung back up again in the bathrooms..again we called, and got new towels. The ice box was not emptied, and the chair for the desk was not returned to it's place after they vacuumed (did a lousy job at it too). The chair was left a good metre away from the desk. The sheets and covers for the sofabed were literally thrown over, not folded, on the sofa. Dirty and used glasses were not replaced. Even though the lobby looked great, the rooms were in good condition, the housekeeping was worse than a 1 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank D R
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
D R: thank you for taking time out to review your experience with us, as you no doubt read from the many surveys previous to yours, what you experienced is not typical of the service, care or quality that we aspire to.
We truly appreciate all comments on this great forum as they all serve to make our service better, please never hesitate to ask to speak with the Manager on Duty during one's stay to express concerns or to offer commendations. This will greatly benefit the business and service to all guests; current and yet to arrive. Happy traveling.
phoenix, az
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Rooms are clean ( advance purchase of $119 plus tax ). Pool and jacuzzi were PERFECT!! The shuttle to the airport was right on time with George getting us there safely. Like others have mentioned there are no place to eat within walking distance. However there are a number of delivery options. I chose Tony's pizza, hit the spot. They have info on this at the check-in. Don't hesitate to stay here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for this awesome review, indeed George is an outstanding associate; he enjoys taking care of our guests every single day with a huge smile, he is a credit to us and I will be sure to commend him accordingly. Happy traveling.
nj
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I were flying to Aruba for 8 days. Parked our car in a safe gated area. Easy check in and out. Rooms very clean and fresh. Staff was great. Shuttle bus to airport and back to Courtyard was so easy to use. Will stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grandme
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Grandme:

Thank you so much for this awesome review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to share your very nice comments with the team, we recently made some upgrades to our parking lot and offer some great park and fly deals. Happy traveling.
Monroe, Connecticut
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was our second stay at the Courtyard. A wonderfull night sleep with NO jet noise. The rooms have allways been clean and inviting.Lobbey is very nice and modern and was very active when we arrived.Wonderfull staff at checkin and checkout and at the bar.One thing though, the breakfast should start earlier then 7, maybe 6AM. We were not able to take advantage of it before our flight. East access to long term parking in the area and the terminals. We will be flying out this weekend for a trip to Aruba and will use the Courtyard again. Our compliments to Manager Gary B. and his staff.
Thanks
Jerry in Ct.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jkesn228
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you so much for this great review, you will be delighted to know that we have recently modified our breakfast hours and start at 6am on weekdays; of course there is always coffee available and the 24 hour Market for snacks and quick bites. Happy traveling.